Winter Tyres (again) help/advice required

servicepoint

These babies are HUGE indeed! I don't have a winter spare and well with cross that bridge if I get there. I think that as long as you know you will have one very slipery corner on your car (with a summer spare) you should be ok to at least be able to get to a tyre shop or safety with it.

My problem was that winter hadn't finished and winter tyres were so expensive and not available to buy at the end of February, that all I could do was swap over to summer tyres, having come home on my summer spare.....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a stupid question, but can I just get a pair of winter tyres and use them on the drive wheels or do I need a full set of 4? Another stupid question: I have alloys on my Octy, but want to get a second set of rims for the winter tyres - steel seems to be cheaper than alloy: is it just a direct size substitution from alloy to steel or do I need to take account of the brake disks/calipers or anything?

Thanks

K

Probably a stupid question, but can I just get a pair of winter tyres and use them on the drive wheels or do I need a full set of 4? Another stupid question: I have alloys on my Octy, but want to get a second set of rims for the winter tyres - steel seems to be cheaper than alloy: is it just a direct size substitution from alloy to steel or do I need to take account of the brake disks/calipers or anything?

Thanks

K

You can just have a pair of winter tyres, but you must expect the rear of the car to overtake the front on braking.......emoticon-0136-giggle.gif. Not recommended. There is a wonderful youtube canadian video that demonstrates this phenomena. Go for 4 tyres. (and a spare emoticon-0140-rofl.gif).

Yes steel wheels are cheaper. depending on what model Octavia you have depends on what size wheels to get. There is a fantastic thread on winter tyres on the Octavia mk 2 area of the Forum. Have a read of that and it will answer all your questions.

thanks, this was the first search for winter tyres that came up, only just realised it was all yeti ! doh!

Thanks again though

K

No problem. Have a good browse through the site. there is a mine of info on Briskoda that Skoda don't tell you about emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Wife has a mk6 Golf so was hopeing to put the winter wheels and tyres on this for the period to keep us mobile should the snow appear.

I don't think anyone else commented but this slightly surprised me - you appear to have decided that one car with winter tyres is enough. Fair play if you have a main car and the other is only for occasional use and mostly laid up during the winter or if money is tight, (although buying a new SM suggests money isn't that tight), but it's easy to be caught out during the winter, setting out when the weather is fine and then being caught by snow and a rapid transition to slippery conditions even for relatively short local journeys.

I'd perhaps be thinking the Golf would be the less capable car in slippery conditions so that would be the priority to have winter tyres. That'd definitely be the case if my wife was transporting children around.

My ordered SM is not expected until December, now November, if my current 4x4 sells in the interim then we will be running the risk of being without transport if the snow arrives.

Once the SM arrives it will get the winter tyres, if the snow then arrives I will happily garage the Golf.

My ordered SM is not expected until December, now November, if my current 4x4 sells in the interim then we will be running the risk of being without transport if the snow arrives.

Once the SM arrives it will get the winter tyres, if the snow then arrives I will happily garage the Golf.

if your 4x4 sells and snow comes (almost guaranteed to have some before December I would have thought) then putting the winter tyres on the golf would be fine. I've had Nokians on my 2wd octavia for the last 2 years and it's been great. The highlight for me was pulling a neighbour's VW Touareg out of a bank of snow last year. He said "didn't realise you had a 4x4 Skoda"....."I don't" :giggle:

I found a leaflet from http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ in this weeks copy of Auto Express advertising Winter Wheel/Tyre packages primarily for VAG group and BMW.

I bought my summer Ultac Sessantas from them in March and they were 1) very competitive on price and 2) gave excellent customer service. :thumbup:

Worth investigating. ;)

I found a leaflet from http://www.tyremen.co.uk/ in this weeks copy of Auto Express advertising Winter Wheel/Tyre packages primarily for VAG group and BMW.

I bought my summer Ultac Sessantas from them in March and they were 1) very competitive on price and 2) gave excellent customer service. :thumbup:

Worth investigating. ;)

If you have a branch of Costco nearby and are a member (or have a friend who is) I saw a poster advertising the benefits of Michelin Winter tyres for cars and vans in there the other week. I have no idea bout their prices but Costco are often pretty good on their standard tyre pricing.

Today I ordered my winter wheels and tyres from Graham at West End Skoda at Broxburn so I can now relax that all sorted out. The tyres are a Cooper Weathermasters and total cost is £650. I've no idea whether these tyres are any good or not or whether the price is competitive - I'm just posting in in case of interest to others so no posts please to tell me otherwise! I'm a bit lazy and prefer the convenience of dealing with one local garage and just trusting Graham when he said the feedback from those that bought them last year was good. Whatever, they'll surely be better than summer tyres come the winter time. One of the big attractions for me is that West End will store the tyres until it's time to swap them and they offer a free 'hotel service' whilst I have my car. I'll post details about how I find them later on. Graham also said he'd been taking lots of orders the last couple of weeks and has already sold most of the 40 sets he has just got in.

Today I ordered my winter wheels and tyres from Graham at West End Skoda at Broxburn so I can now relax that all sorted out. The tyres are a Cooper Weathermasters and total cost is £650. I've no idea whether these tyres are any good or not or whether the price is competitive - I'm just posting in in case of interest to others so no posts please to tell me otherwise! I'm a bit lazy and prefer the convenience of dealing with one local garage and just trusting Graham when he said the feedback from those that bought them last year was good. Whatever, they'll surely be better than summer tyres come the winter time. One of the big attractions for me is that West End will store the tyres until it's time to swap them and they offer a free 'hotel service' whilst I have my car. I'll post details about how I find them later on. Graham also said he'd been taking lots of orders the last couple of weeks and has already sold most of the 40 sets he has just got in.

Read all about it;- http://coopertire.com/ They own Avon (UK Manufacturer)

There's a whole bunch of winters, summers & all seasons in all the colours and all the sizes at a firm called Oponeo. (Google it, obviously) They're Polish with an 0800 number and offer 5 day delivery with postage included in the price. I rang them and was greeted by a very polite lady with perfect English and a seemingly good knowledge of her subject. They take PayPal, too. Will get my Michelins from them if that's what I decide upon. Prices seem good (otherwise I wouldn't be looking there - (I'm suitably careful with my disposable) :D

Other suppliers with knowledge of the topic are TyreMen, Camskill, Pneus-Online as well as the obvious MyTyres. All this in addition to some locals like ATS, KwikFit etc who, in my experience, seem to vary in their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Edited by oldstan

I have attached photos of Yeti's Vredestein 205/55 R16 94V Wintrac Xtreme XL FSL tyres I got from reifen.com

post-70844-0-94543100-1315657615_thumb.jpg

post-70844-0-99565600-1315657610_thumb.jpg

Some of the more observant members may notice a slight anomaly in the second picture, but I'm sure in most cases I'll get away with it! :giggle:

Some of the more observant members may notice a slight anomaly in the second picture, but I'm sure in most cases I'll get away with it! :giggle:

I love that!!! So you are getting the first Yeti Combi? The rumoured loooooonnnnggggg wheelbase Yeti? That is one very long wheelbase you're getting ready for! :giggle:

If you have a branch of Costco nearby and are a member (or have a friend who is) I saw a poster advertising the benefits of Michelin Winter tyres for cars and vans in there the other week. I have no idea bout their prices but Costco are often pretty good on their standard tyre pricing.

I asked your local Costco (Edinburgh) about this last week.

As you say, Costco supplies only Michelin. They have no suitable winter tyres in stock, but would, if requested, enquire about the availability of the Alpin PA3 (not the Michelin winter tyre that gets the good reviews). If it were obtainable, they would charge £146.38. So in this case I concluded Costco was not a contender for my business.

I asked your local Costco (Edinburgh) about this last week.

As you say, Costco supplies only Michelin. They have no suitable winter tyres in stock, but would, if requested, enquire about the availability of the Alpin PA3 (not the Michelin winter tyre that gets the good reviews). If it were obtainable, they would charge £146.38. So in this case I concluded Costco was not a contender for my business.

bizarre, not sure why that same brach had big posters up advertising winter tyres. I didn't ask for details as I already have winters but I agree that pricing is not competitive at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of 16" 6J Audi alloys that fit my CR110 front drive Yeti. Looks like I should be fitting 205/55 winters but 205/60s will be much closer to the original tyre diameter.

What would be best?

tom

I'd go for the 205/60s unless your planning to run with snow chains.

I got Weathermasters last year from West End. Very pleased with them, you won't be disappointed. Outdrove the Disco 4 and FL2 in the company car park, pulled out an A4, stopped when I wanted, went where I wanted, etc, etc.

Needing a service towards the end of October, so I'll get them put back on then and they can once again look after my alloys.

Niall

Edited by Niall

I got Weathermasters last year from West End. Very pleased with them, you won't be disappointed. Outdrove the Disco 4 and FL2 in the company car park, pulled out an A4, stopped when I wanted, went where I wanted, etc, etc.

Needing a service towards the end of October, so I'll get them put back on then and they can once again look after my alloys.

Niall

That's reassuring - thanks.