16" alloys for Octavia Scout winter tyres?

Apologies for yet another winter wheel/tyre thread.

I've been pricing up winter wheels and tyres for my long awaited Scout which I'll hopefully be taking delivery of within the next few weeks (ordered Dec 2010!). Tyremen are listing Alutec 16 inch "Grip Silver" alloys for £300 for a set of 4 which is not much more than a set of Skoda steel wheels and wheel trims would cost. They are 6.5 wide so I wouldn't be able to use snow chains with them but I don't mind about that. Otherwise I think they look OK and have a TUV certificate to confirm they are suitable for the Octavia.

Does anyone have any opinions on the durability of aftermarket alloys and the insurance and/or warranty implications of deviating from Skoda's recommended setup of 6J steel wheel and 205/55/16 winter tyres? I can't help thinking that plastic wheel trims on black steel wheels will make the car look wrong. It would be great if someone could post a photo of their Scout with either 16" steels or 16" alloy winter wheels on.

Thanks

+1 - I'm planning the purchase of steelies and trims for my new (replacement) scout too. Currently that looks like a mytyres order of fitted steel wheels plus the 'skoda shop' for the trims.

And me; just trying to decide how "inexpensive" a brand of tyre I should go for. Linglong? Goodride? Effiplus? :rofl:

Might have to be the Avons, I think. Reputable brand, and the description ('Ideally suited to rural drivers who need to stay mobile') sounds spot-on. Didn't really want to pay as much as £450 though... :S

16" Steels, VW Caddy Van Centre Caps, 205/55 R16 profile tyres - Ta Da!!

bh1.jpg

Looks fine to me (but I would say that). When these wear out I think I'll go for 205/60s instead to maintain the same ground clearance. Not that 205/55s were a problem last year.

Interestingly, a few of the guys at work thought that the utilitarian nature of the steels gave the car a more purposeful look than normal (maybe thats just because it was the only vehicle that could navigate the buried car park without fuss for about a month....)

Niall

• 1 month later...

And another one here!

My Scout did its first winter last year, on standard Dunlops - it did fine (very well in fact), but would like the additional security of winter tyres.

Very nearly opted for Skoda's default steelies with 205/55 R16 Contis, but would like to keep same (or close to) rolling circumference for ground clearance, gearing, speedo, etc.

Save On Tyres Direct (Exeter based) seem to have some useful alloy & tyre packages....... just don't know what to go for!!!

I'm just wondering - why do people go for steel wheels or extra wheels at all?

I priced it up but it's nearly £200 for a set of new steel wheels, when I have 4 perfectly good wheels on the car already......... Guess it's the whole "if my car goes into a kerb then I only have to replace a steel wheel"?

I've just put winter tyres on my current alloys...

I went for steels, because there was a bigger cost argument! Firstly there is the cost of fitting tyres to your existing wheels x2 a year, then you stil have to store them add to the fact that salt damage will likely occur to alloys (especially the Scout part polished ones), and you have to factor in a refurb or two. Over a few years, the cost falls in favour of a full set. The other advantage for me was that If you've a full set, you can choose exactly when you swap them over, and don't have to wait for a tyre fitter to open, or take a booking. Finally they are very easy to store using readily available "wheel trees".

I may of mentioned it before.....

.....I got my steels 'out of season' when clearly no one else was looking from eBay for £1.70!

Seriously though, Uncle Bulgaria covers the reasons as to why well.

Niall

IMG_3829.jpg

old but refurbed Audi 16" alloys

16"x7J ET45 PCD5x112 with 205x55R16 tyres (Kumho KW23)

The standard Proteus alloys are getting the same plain silver finish in the spring. Give them a hard stare & they corrode or mark.

.... When these wear out I think I'll go for 205/60s instead to maintain the same ground clearance. Not that 205/55s were a problem last year.

Niall

Very nearly opted for Skoda's default steelies with 205/55 R16 Contis, but would like to keep same (or close to) rolling circumference for ground clearance, gearing, speedo, etc.

I went through a 205/55R16 v 205/60R16 debate a couple of months ago as the 60 profile are a much better size match to the the standard fit 225/50R17 tyres. In the end, mainly based on what Skoda recommend and hence with one eye on potential insurance implications, I ordered 205/55R16 Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyres and steel wheels from Mytyres. When they arrived I put one next to the car and when quickly looking I couldn't tell the difference, even though I was expecting a significant difference (24mm diameter difference should be obvious). This may well become more apparent when the wheel is fitted and the tyre has to bear the weight of the car so I'll just wait and see.

They will be fitted as soon as the weather looks like cooling down - but at 15.5 degrees today it won't be this week!

it's really down to personal choice and cost whether you go for alloys or steelies, I went for steelies on ours as they were a good price off ebay and local to me. I would strongly offer advice on the tyres though, doesn't matter what brand you get but make sure they are extra load (94)as the standard load (91) will look as flat as pankakes at the bottom, also this is the same spec as the 'full size' spare wheel so shouldn't affect insurance/warrenty as it is classed as standard equipment.

Hope this helps and turns the scout in to a snow munching monster :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I looked at a range of winter alloy options for my Scout and I liked the look of Autec wheels - http://www.autec-wheels.de/kataloge1.html - some of which are marketed for winter use and are certified by TUV for use on the Scout. I looked at 16 and 17" sizes, but finally went for some secondhand Yeti Spitzberg wheels on eBay.

Edited by London Les

I mean, I'd rather spend a small amount on some steel wheels and use those at winter time - cheaper than replacing an alloy.

But I don't think it's really worth spending £200 on 4 steelies. That was why I ended up looking at those Audi Alloys! (I would have had them if there was enough confidence in the fit, but it was a lot of effort to drive all the way to Hereford if they weren't going to fit properly) I'll do what Niall did and get some steelies next summer for a few quid and stick my winters on there.

Also, I notice that the top top branded premium summer tyres can be had for £80 a corner at the moment! - Should have bought me a pair of those as my fronts are nearly done with anyway...

Can I just second the Nialls opinion above that an octy on black steeelies does have a great utilitarian look, but i did not know why until someone at work pointed out that all of the FBI/cop undercover cars you see on US TV are boggo ford crown victorias/dodge chargers /chevvy impalas on steel wheels (my wife has just pointed out over my shoulder that the boggo crown vic point is a recurring theme in the Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child, learn something new every day and all that).

I did put 16" trims on last year but flogged them to a local taxi driver who has a superb last spring and just havent got round to buying new ones. I reckon my pre facelift Storm Blue L&K looks good on the black wheels.

I also rate the ride on 16" and 205/55 tyres over the stock 17" and 225/45 tyres. Mine are costco sourced Michelin Alpins (25% off a set of 4 at the moment), and wonder whether the perfect look / ride combo would be a storm blue octy on gloss black 16" alloys? any thoughts?

If you use a local independant tyre place you may be surprised to find prices comparable if not better than the internet. My local place Stewartry tyres have been good at re fitting tyres with no charge and I have just purchased winter tyres for the 5th year. This year 205/55 16 h Vredestein Snowtracs for £93 all in last year Avon ice Touring ST for around £85 each I think.

I bought the Kumo KW23 winter tyres for my wifes Fabia (16") from my tyres on the net. Tried the local dealer but my tyres were £35 per tyre cheaper delivered (and £4 a tyre cheaper than the local dealer could BUY them in wholesale) Even if the local dealer charged me full price of £25 per tyre to swap, I would still be £10 a corner up! Got a good deal to get them fitted, with the promise they would swap them back again in the spring.

I like putting business through local dealers but I can't afford to lose £140 on four tyres.... Skoda dealer could not supply winter tyres for the Fabia alloys at all, they could only supply tyres AND steel wheels to fit at a cost of over £500.

My Octy Scout is still sat on the alloys and supplied Dunlops (had Scout for 2 months) Think I may just leave it this year and see how it goes......

I bought the Kumo KW23 winter tyres for my wifes Fabia (16") from my tyres on the net. Tried the local dealer but my tyres were £35 per tyre cheaper delivered (and £4 a tyre cheaper than the local dealer could BUY them in wholesale)

Interesting. Mytyres are £30 cheaper (& may have been even cheaper a couple of months back) for 4 than I paid for my 205/55/16 KW23's but my price of £300 included fitting, summer wheel storage & refitting by Tyrespot's Gateshead depot.

I was the OP so I thought I'd post a quick update. In the end I decided on 16x6J steels with Vredstein Snowtrac 3's from Tyremen. Mytyres were a bit cheaper but tyremen were really good to deal with and they arrived the next day with zero fuss. Now that they are here the weather is incredibly mild so they are sitting in the corner of the living room waiting for the onset of winter. Last night the wife sent both of the children for an unscheduled shower and change of clothes because she kept getting a faint whiff of pee. There were some ugly scenes and angry protests of innocence but she was unrelenting. When I came down this morning I realised it was the tyres. Turns out Vreds stink like p*ss, so I'm going to have to clear a bit of space in the garage before she gets back tonight!

I was the OP so I thought I'd post a quick update. In the end I decided on 16x6J steels with Vredstein Snowtrac 3's from Tyremen. Mytyres were a bit cheaper but tyremen were really good to deal with and they arrived the next day with zero fuss. Now that they are here the weather is incredibly mild so they are sitting in the corner of the living room waiting for the onset of winter. Last night the wife sent both of the children for an unscheduled shower and change of clothes because she kept getting a faint whiff of pee. There were some ugly scenes and angry protests of innocence but she was unrelenting. When I came down this morning I realised it was the tyres. Turns out Vreds stink like p*ss, so I'm going to have to clear a bit of space in the garage before she gets back tonight!

Surely it's not fair to move the wife and kids to the garage just to make room for your winters!!?

• 2 weeks later...

I've let this drag on far too long without getting round to doing anything about it, and now the prices are starting to go up.

Best I've found for tyres on wheels, with some half-decent rubber, is this from mytyres:

Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 5 x 112.00 x 57.00)

Nokian WR A3 BSW 205/55 R16 94H

Skoda OCTAVIA SCOUT 2.0 TDI 1Z 1968ccm 103 kW 03.2007- £ 127.70 4 £ 510.80

plus 9.90 £ postage and packaging per complete wheel /alloy rim 4 £ 39.60

Total Amount 4 £ 550.40

Rather more than I was originally thinking of paying... has anybody seen any better deals?

IMG_3829.jpg

old but refurbed Audi 16" alloys

16"x7J ET45 PCD5x112 with 205x55R16 tyres (Kumho KW23)

The standard Proteus alloys are getting the same plain silver finish in the spring. Give them a hard stare & they corrode or mark.

And that has just answered a question of mine - what would old A6 alloys look like on an Octavia given I have my eye on some on ebay...