Cheap Diesel Hack....

Gwilo

I'm a bit stuck with this....

I need a comfortable diesel car that can easily do my largely motorway commute of 100 miles each day.

Criteria is it must be cheap to fuel and cheap to maintain. Reliable, with a reputation for intergalactic mileages....low insurance group would be a plus

Budget is £2500.

I was thinking Peugeot 306 or 405 1.9 diesels or and Astra 1.7 cdti - after all, a thousand taxi drivers can't be wrong....

Are there any pitfalls with this plan?

Are there other options I should be looking at seriously?

What about an octy? I know 2skodafamily gets 60mpg regularly in his 130 l&k

Yes exactly the answer.

1.9D-130hp does upper 50s MPG, goes like a scalded cat, well quite quick, 0-60 in 9 seconds.

Mine is an L&K, has all the toys, xenons, leather seats, heated seats etc, has 107K miles but still feels fresh, dealer offered me £2.25K for trade in. It is 53 plate. 70 mph is 2K revs, awesome.

I will be keeping it even though I have got two TSI Octy2s.

Edited by lol

I did the Octy thing a long time ago, though it was petrol. I had the 1.9PD 130 lump in it's replacement Passat.

I'm sure it's a nice combination, but what's putting me off is that it's still listing as group 9E insurance.....I'm currently in a group 6 Astra....which is returning 51mpg (measured by Fuelly).

I'm not keen on moving back up in the size stakes (that's what her Discovery is for) I'm just looking at selling the Astra and getting something comparable for size, fuel costs, but older and therefore cheaper to realise a little extra capital funding for the hedge fund...(i'm sure you can appreciate this lol.... :giggle: )

0-60 in 18.6s?!?!? :rofl:

I don't relish the thought of joining the M55 & M61 with those numbers

Glacial drift accelerates quicker than that....

Ours is fine.

My Mrs used hers as a motorway runner with no issues

at all on a similar commute all week long easily on 1 tank of fuel.

Pros.

*60-80mpg, bulletproof engine,

*group 3e insurance and 90 quid a year tax

and no turbo/dmf to go wrong.

*Pretty easy to self service.

*Theres about 120k left in the linked motor, cambelt done in June.

*AC, Fogs etc. Looks like reasonable spec.

*Comfortable ride.

*Of little interest to thieves.

*Can go on holiday with the change from £2500 ;)

*It's one of VAGs most reliable engines.

*It's a Skoda.

Cons.

*Bit slow on acceleration.

I drive ours often and enjoy it every time.

So different to the vRS, I feel much more relaxed

in her car, it just gets you there, every time.

I'd buy another tomorrow if I didn't enjoy

the whole vRS thing.

We live in Bristol but are planning a road trip to Scotland soon.

Which Fabia do you think we'll be using? :thumbup:

I think someone on here might have something which fits the bill B)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140605170632?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Comfort - Golf GTi seats

Recent brand new wheels and tyres

12 months MoT

55+ mpg

Huge boot if required

Lots of toys

Only downside is £215 per year car tax :(

PM me if interested, but don't wait too long :)

Vauxhall, Pugeot or Citroen anything is not likely to last much above 100k, imo. My neighbour's 307 estate has done 90k ish and is literally falling apart in front of his eyes. And it's been serviced regularly.

For a cheap car to do intergalactic, economical miles, you want a 110 (or 90) Octy TDi. Even my PD130 is only £120 a year tax.

Also depends on your speed on the motorway. I can get an indicated 68mpg from the PD130 over 350miles return on the motorway if I cruise at ~60mph. If I cruise ~75mph, this drops to barely 50mpg. Even if the indicated is 10% optimistic, that's still well over 60mpg.

I expect a Furby would be even more economical, but I've never owned or driven one so won't comment.

Jesus! Why is it that expensive? I'm only paying £120 for mine? Does mine have a cat and your's not or something? :o

Mine was first registered in 2000, pre-dating the change to emissions-based tax, it was purely cc-based :(

we've just been offered £3,800 trade-in on our 4 year old (3 years warranty left!) Kia Cee'd! - 40k miles, 1.6 115 Diesel, part leather, climate etc. - 50+ mpg all day long, 72 was achieved when i was trying... if you could find one of these, wow, cheap motoring! - needless to say, we aint selling it!

Al.

This looks good: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201136414090602/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/3000/model/corolla/make/toyota/

Even comes with 3 months tax. I think I see many of these documentaries about the amazon, must be reliable and easy to fix?

Edited by My_Yeti

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-VW-Golf-Mk-4-Gt-tdi-1-9-blue-1-years-Mot-Tax-Full-electrics-Ac-towbar-/320760925976?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aaed74f18

110 TDI engine, good for 60mpg and reasonably pokey. These are more economical than the 115/130 PD engines. Has a years MOT and tax too!

Wouldn't touch the Corolla with a barge pole, poor fuel economy and performance. With cars of this age it's got to be a 1.9 TDI (or SDI if you can live with the lack of performance). B)

My 110tdi has done over 130k miles and I expect to easily clear 200k. Consider that ANY turbo diesel of the sort of price you're looking at is likely to have done about 100k miles, so the turbo might not have a huge amount of life left in it. With that in mind, I'd suggest an SDI as above. Yes, very slow but if you look/think ahead you can work around that with driving style (I bet wagons don't out-accelerate an SDI and they still merge with busy motorways all over the place).

FYI, plenty of Octy mk1 SDIs around here as taxis which have cleared 300k miles!