Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2?

rob_e

I'm going to be due a change of tyres soon, my ContiSC3s are down to around 2mm all round.

Autoexpress have just published their 2011 tyre test results and amazingly the SC3 which seemed to win everything last year is down is 6th place! Maybe there was some mileage in the allegations that the results were somehow skewed due to the tests being done at Continentals own proving ground?!

Anyway, latest test (at Bridestone's place this time) has the new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 as the overall winner. Anyone got a set of these yet? Any feedback?

I had both the original (V pattern) F1 GSD3 on my lotus, and the first gen Asymmetrics on my Golf Gti and they were great, but I've not heard anything about the latest version other than that Autoexpress review.

Fulll results of the test were:

1 Goodyear 100.0%

2 Michelin 99.6%

3 Pirelli 99.3%

4 Vredestein 99.2%

5 Nokian 98.4%

6 Continental 98.2%

7 Dunlop 98.0%

8 Bridgestone 97.3%

9 Apollo 97.0%

10 Hankook 96.5%

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259582/tyre_test_2011.html

cheers

Rob

• Like 1

I've got the goodyears on the front of mine at the moment have had them on for about 5000 miles, i've also had the Michelin PS3's and the Conti's too.

I'd say they are a decent tyre a lot quieter than i found the Conti's to be with a good level of grip but i don't think they match the Michelins for grip and handling under spirited driving. Reason i got them over another pair of the Michelins was i had them at a silly price from a seller on ebay when the tyre first launched.

I wouldn't take too much notice of Auto Express. I find most of their reviews baffling to say the least.

But i dont hink you can beat Michelen although they are expensive. I've not tried the Goodyear F1's but my pal had them on his Audi A4 1.8T and said they were very good.

That test is a load of ****** and they have obviously been paid off by Goodyear.

The GYA2 results where

Wet braking 96.2% 2nd

Wet handling 98.8% =3rd

Wet cornering 98.7% 3rd

Straight aquaplaning 96.4% 4th

Curved aquaplaning 74.8% 6th

Dry braking 99.3% 3rd

Dry handling 99.6% =2nd

Rolling resistance 98.5% 2nd

Cabin noise 98.6% =7th

So that is a total of 860.9% divided by 9 tests = an average score of 95.7% - Not 100% overall

The Michelin PS3 results where

Wet braking 91.3% 4th

Wet handling 98.8% =3rd

Wet cornering 96.4% 9th

Straight aquaplaning 99.8% 2nd

Curved aquaplaning 100% 1st

Dry braking 92.2% 10th

Dry handling 99% 5th

Rolling resistance 93.4% 6th

Cabin noise 98.2% =10th

Total of 868.5% divided by 9 test = an average of 96.5% not 99.6% overall

That was just taking the top 2 tyres and i could see that from looking at the scores. Somehow i think GY have given the editor of AutoExpress a back hander :wonder:

Carl - I think the "100%" they give in the overall result is just a nominal value to indicate that they "won" the test. The maths behind it is more complex than just aggregating across all the disciplines:

We asked each manufacturer to send 10 tyres – eight for track testing and two for rolling resistance. Plus, we bought two sets at random and compared them to the supplied rubber on the wet braking strip; this ensured we were testing exactly what you can buy.

While the testing remains as rigorous as ever, ... In terms of scoring, the winner of each discipline is rated at 100 per cent and the rest ranked relative to its performance.

Finding a winner

When all the tests were completed, we calculated the overall winner by adding up the percentage scores from each test, but with some weighting to ensure each discipline is worth the same. This way a victory in a close result like dry handling counts the same as, say, aquaplaning where the differences between best and worse can be 10 times as big. The exception is price, which plays a small role in our overall result. Our winner was the best all-round tyre on test...

Not defending AutoExpress, just trying to understand the math/logic.

Anyway :p have you tried them?

I had PS3 on my last vRS and that's what I will be using when the factory fitted dunlops wear down on the current one.

Unless of course they do the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 225/40/18 by the time I need new tyres.

Dont know about those ones but used to have the F1 GS D3 ones (dont think they make them anymore, but not sure) and they were fantastic.....was a huge sway in price so helped to shop around...some places were selling them for 80/90 euro more!!

K:)

Well I cant say much about the tyre you list as they dont do it in the size I need.

I have Goodyear efficient grip on my 1.8 TSi and they are great.

I have always tried to fit Goodyear to my company cars as I find them very quiet and they grip very well in most conditions.

I cant fault the ones I have at the moment and I have great confidence in them when I push the car almost to its limit.

I drive 50k a year on motorways and back roads and dont hang around.

I've gone from Conti 3's to Uniroyal Rainsport 2's in the last few months, will need to look at long term wear of course but at the moment given the choice and even if the Conti's were the same price as the Rainsports I wouldn't go back to them as the Rainsports are just great :thumbup:

That said, I'll be switching over to my new Dunlop 4D winters and 16" rims soon so the relative merits of summer tyres is all a bit academic - until next March at least ;)

I spent ages puring over various reviews and articles before i decided to buy the F1 AS2's

Then my power shower broke.

The car now has a set of Uniroyal RS2's on the front :o

PMSL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Got 1 today, the other on the front is a new PS3 replacement for my bust michelin pilot sport 3 sent from Michelin after months of argy bargy at the start of the year. Michelin ps3s that came off the front had done 16000miles. Mileage now 34500. Michelin rears are hardly touched after the same so much so the garage said to put the newer tyres on the front as the backs were in such good nick. So head to head test now against ps3 and gy as2 just in time for the wet scottish winter.

OE Dunlops lasted 9000 before having to rotate them to last 18600. Old front PS3s had been aquaplaning recently at 2.5 to 2 mm and gave us a fright or two even at fairly low speed so decided to give the goodyear a go after the recent reviews. Treadwear rating on PS3 is 320, gy as2 is 300. Looked over the tyre when I got home and it looks a good buy. Time will tell though. Will update on the mileage when it gets replaced. Anyone tried the new conti sport 5??

I would never touch GSD3's ever again. Their grip is fantastic - have had them on a 200sx and a 330ci - but they tramline terribly.

I have the Asymetrics in my 330ci now, and while they're not quite as grippy, they give a much better ride. Best tyres I've ever had.

I have the Asymmetric 2's on all 4 corners and they are a good tyre with a good road feel and grip - they have not been a miracle cure for grip when ragging it from a standing start and the steering has gone light on some extreme wet weather withouth full-on aquaplaning (but I think any tyre would under the conditions).

Treadwear rating on PS3 is 320, gy as2 is 300.

Curiously, when getting them fitted a few months ago I mentioned to my very respected and capable local tyre place that I was really thinking about PS3s. He said that despite being a great performance tyre, he had a bunch of customers return to him upset because they had worn so quickly and that he would have the GYs given the choice. I think there are posts on other forum talking about this but just putting this on the table rather than giving my opinion as I've not tried the PS3s myself.

Thanks for the responses chaps.

I've decided i will go with the Asymmetic 2s. They are on-order right now with my tyre shop and should be on the car shortly. I'll post up some thoughts when they're on but bear in mind it'll be vs. some pretty slidey end-of-life ContiSC3's..!

I'm going to be due a change of tyres soon, my ContiSC3s are down to around 2mm all round.

Autoexpress have just published their 2011 tyre test results and amazingly the SC3 which seemed to win everything last year is down is 6th place! Maybe there was some mileage in the allegations that the results were somehow skewed due to the tests being done at Continentals own proving ground?!

Anyway, latest test (at Bridestone's place this time) has the new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 as the overall winner. Anyone got a set of these yet? Any feedback?

I had both the original (V pattern) F1 GSD3 on my lotus, and the first gen Asymmetrics on my Golf Gti and they were great, but I've not heard anything about the latest version other than that Autoexpress review.

Fulll results of the test were:

1 Goodyear 100.0%

2 Michelin 99.6%

3 Pirelli 99.3%

4 Vredestein 99.2%

5 Nokian 98.4%

6 Continental 98.2%

7 Dunlop 98.0%

8 Bridgestone 97.3%

9 Apollo 97.0%

10 Hankook 96.5%

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259582/tyre_test_2011.html

cheers

Rob

I just put these on 3 days ago based on the autoexpress review and also on the fact i got 2 shoes all in for £180, initial thoughts are, they are sticky, and like to grab any stone or pebble from the surface you drive over and you hear them all pinging under your car, also was a bit wary as the fitters set them at 2.3 bar as i went to check straight away and was always told that 2.1 bar is recommended, they now have flabby sidewalls as i put them back to 2.1, but i never minded that with my toyos Edited by Jon06Vrs

Carl - I think the "100%" they give in the overall result is just a nominal value to indicate that they "won" the test. The maths behind it is more complex than just aggregating across all the disciplines:

Not defending AutoExpress, just trying to understand the math/logic.

Anyway :p have you tried them?

i just bought them, 2 fronts, 1 red dot 1 green dot, was more annoyed by the fact that the receipt was written out to read "ass/metric"

That test is a load of ****** and they have obviously been paid off by Goodyear.

The GYA2 results where

Wet braking 96.2% 2nd

Wet handling 98.8% =3rd

Wet cornering 98.7% 3rd

Straight aquaplaning 96.4% 4th

Curved aquaplaning 74.8% 6th

Dry braking 99.3% 3rd

Dry handling 99.6% =2nd

Rolling resistance 98.5% 2nd

Cabin noise 98.6% =7th

So that is a total of 860.9% divided by 9 tests = an average score of 95.7% - Not 100% overall

The Michelin PS3 results where

Wet braking 91.3% 4th

Wet handling 98.8% =3rd

Wet cornering 96.4% 9th

Straight aquaplaning 99.8% 2nd

Curved aquaplaning 100% 1st

Dry braking 92.2% 10th

Dry handling 99% 5th

Rolling resistance 93.4% 6th

Cabin noise 98.2% =10th

Total of 868.5% divided by 9 test = an average of 96.5% not 99.6% overall

That was just taking the top 2 tyres and i could see that from looking at the scores. Somehow i think GY have given the editor of AutoExpress a back hander :wonder:

Hankook tyres are 25% off when you buy 4 from Blackcirles using discount code 'Hankook25' This means a full set of 225/40/18 92Y fully fitted can be had for £408 incl VAT that's £102 per tyre and I think that is a deal !