VRS Burning oil

James I

I will be using the Fabia for work for a week when the engine is changed, that means it will do about 1200 miles on all types of road and should bed in quite nicely.

Don't be paranoid people, I understand warranty covers any issue and we do use our Fabia to its full potential quite regularly, when necessary it gets some oil too (which has been free for a long time now from the dealer)

With reference to tuning tips, what can be done to a petrol VRS? A remap maybe? Not for me guys, I am getting old now and not used to laptop tuning, in my day it was a cam change, twin webber 40's or 45's, polishing head ports and you could use a spanner or socket on an engine that was not clad in plastic and cables, I mean the Fabia doesn't even have plug leads the coil pack is on the plug, what happened to points?

Ah the good old days.

With reference to tuning tips, what can be done to a petrol VRS? A remap maybe? Not for me guys, I am getting old now and not used to laptop tuning, in my day it was a cam change, twin webber 40's or 45's, polishing head ports and you could use a spanner or socket on an engine that was not clad in plastic and cables, I mean the Fabia doesn't even have plug leads the coil pack is on the plug, what happened to points?

Ah the good old days.

sure were, none of this blackmagic juju stuff in an electronic box that they have today.

Twin 45 DCOE and a fast road cam, now that WAS tuning.

• Like 1

sure were, none of this blackmagic juju stuff in an electronic box that they have today.

Twin 45 DCOE and a fast road cam, now that WAS tuning.

I don't think we had a rolling road either, just tarmac ones...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well git a call from SUK today, they asked me when I was going back for the next round of oil consumption tests. So on the phone to Mitchells (probably the best dealer in the UK) and I am booked in for Monday to have my oil weighed again, then off for 186 miles to test.

I have planned a route, goes a bit like this, Ellesmere Port to Dollgellau, via Bala lake, at Dolgellau turn right and head north for ffestiniog and then carry on to Colwyn, hit the A55 and head back for Chester/Ellesmere Port, all in Google states 179 miles, should manage to cram another 7 miles in there somewhere.

Should be a nice day out Monday as I am off work too. Will keep you posted on how much it uses as it has had the breather fix.

17-12-2012.

I took the Fabia back today for the oil consumption test after the new breather system and re map had been done back in August/September.

I arrived at Mitchells prompt this morning and they got the car in straight away and weighed the oil etc and I set off on my 168 mile trip, the trip consisted of A and B roads with the last half hour on a dual carriageway with a big hill to work the car. Can't fault the drive it put a really big smile on my face and the car ran really well with no problems at all.

On returning to Mitchells I had done 169.7 miles so only 1.7 miles over the required 168, the car went straight in and the oil dropped and weighed.

The usage was well within tolerance, in fact the car had consumed hardly any oil at all compared to the consumption test before the breather mod and re map.

I am happy with this result as an engine out and so on is quite a ball ache, but it still begs the question why does the oil usage vary so much? this is where you guys can help.

My theory is this, our car usually does very short journeys, usually around 4 miles to work and then 4 miles home for four days a week, so the car only just gets up to water temperature.

A mate of mine "lukeskywalker" on this forum also has a VRS, he travelled for more miles and longer every day to work and his car has covered 8,000 miles and never used a drop of oil until this last month, his car is now doing in frequent short journeys but has also used some oil (he has retired the lucky sod)

So my theory is this, today I drove the car for 25 miles to the dealer, a quick pit stop and then off to do a 168 mile mixed drive journey, upon inspection no oil used at all.

Usual short journeys oil consumption is higher, which seems to be the case with my car and Lukeskywalker too.

Does this correspond with your car usage?

I must also say in this post that Mitchells have been brilliant during all the faffing about I have been doing, they have also been very open and willing to help.

SUK have also been good, Craig has been keeping in touch, he has been contacting me to see that I am happy with proceedings and also to push things along with rectifying the situation, so thanks to both.

I am happy with todays result and urge people with genuine issues to work with SUK and your dealer to get to a resolution, I am going to keep an eye on things now but feel that as the car gets more use and not just short commutes the situation will get even better.

I hope you all have the same outcome as I have seen today after the breather modification.

• Like 1

I have done 1,000 miles since the oil breather 'fix' and used 1.4 litres of oil. That worked out at 0.87 litres per 1,000 km which is over the book limit of 0.5 litres per 1,000 km. The car is now booked in for an oil consumption test.

My commute to work is 20 miles each way, 5 days a week. Oil is always up to temperature (90 degrees C give or take a few degrees) by the end of a run. Usually longer journeys at the weekend. Oil consumption started to get worse from 9,000 miles (now done 13,000 miles from new).

17-12-2012.

Does this correspond with your car usage?

Sorry your hypothesis doesn't tue in with my scenario.

My commute is approx 30miles each way, mostly motorway. So it gets a thorough warm up most days, with the rare occasional local short drive.

There was no oil used till approx 8.5k miles, but oil use has since risen over the .5l per 1km threshold up to 13.5k miles. So a new engine is being ordered

Glad to hear yours looks to have been sorted by the mod though.

Right. I need to double check but I'm pretty sure mine is now using too much oil too. Bought 2 litres a few weeks ago thinking I'd have enough until after Christmas and I've just topped up with the second bottle. I check fortnightly as it's when I check tyre pressures and it's flat. I've noted the mileage it's at now with oil at the correct level.

As a reference most of my journeys are in traffic heading into Swansea. Average speed is barely 15mph. However I do go to the other shop twice a week so average speed is higher but not driving hard at all. I do hit 60mph for a good stretch. Mileage is 13287. Was going to go for a spin somewhere on my birthday but now I can see me spending it in the dealer. Gutted :(

I can see one thing very clearly now, every body is getting different usage from different driving styles or mileages etc, no wonder SUK are unsure as to what the cause is.

I am now going to just check my oil once a month, drive the car as normal and in March 2014 when it is three years old I am going to pay for an extended warranty, I am also going to take it to the castle combe meet in April instead of the Yeti.

I will also say if a genuine issue is found SUK will assist you with sorting things out, but I believe if your car doesn't use as much as you suspect when the consumption test is done, most dealers will charge for the new oil and one hours labour. So be sure.

The driving style of drivers and owners appears to be normal for that of a 5 Door Family Vehicle or Warm Hatch.

Varied & in common with all other vehicles of that class of vehicle.

VAG Designed them & the engines and know the market & type of buyers the vehicle is aimed at.

The Oil Consumption Test is being done with the Approval of Skoda after monitoring of the High Oil Usage.

The Workshop carrying out the Consumption test will be getting paid by Skoda.

The reason for the Consumption test is to verify the need for further Warranty work.

I can see no reason for a Dealership to make any charge to the customer.

Customers need to be looking for recompense & the refund of additional expenses where VAG/Skoda have failed in the Design, Manufacturing or Precision of components.

The fault & reason for faults must clearly now be known after 3 years production run of the engine.

They have the faulty components and the complete engines for analysis.

** They have made design changes to components to rectify matters apprantely.*

ie Breather Modification.

If VAG world wide do not know why Twin Chargers are failing in increasing numbers there is something far wrong.

Wrong with VAG & the communications with the Customers and Buyers having problems with their product.

george

• Like 1

I was asked to sign a form yesterday requesting payment for works carried out, I refused to sign it.

As for VAG knowing the reason for why oil usage varies they should speak up, I think we should all take our cars to SUK head office and ask for a meeting to discuss face to face.

Hence me noting the mileage down exactly when I last topped up. I do want to be sure and not just panicking. My first 10k I used 4litres which I didn't think was bad. Was serviced at 9.5k early because i was due to go on holiday. Mileage is 13287 so almost 3800 miles since the service. In that time I think I've used 2.5 litres. Not 100% as I've misplaced the empty bottles plus I always spill a little. I'll have to invest in a funnel

My belief is that so many of the First 2010 vRS DEmonstrators had problems at 3000 miles -4000 miles because the 'Sales Department' never checked the oil level untill a light warned them or the cars went to the workshop for a 'Minor Service' & oil change before being sold to customers.

Many of these first 'Private Owners must then have discovered the car had high Oil Usage & some haf poor Economy.

Skoda know how many EX Demonstrators needed engine rebuilds.

Then ECU upgrades & the likes.

That will include SEAT Ex Demo cars.

(no salesperson i have mentioned the few vRS that had problems have even let on to knowing this,

that included one salesman that i know drove a demonstrator that required an engine rebulid after he had been driving it from new,)

Personally i am surprised that in a 1390cc engine with a fair degree of performance that only has an Oil Capacity of 3.6 litres,

people are happy to run it with 20% less oil then the optimum capacity, as suggested to use for use underload..

or even less oil than that it seems in some cases..

The same dipstick is used in less performance VAG engines with a 3.9 litre capacity.

These engines do not need top ups & so the Dipstick is not an issue.

(run a 3.9 oil capacity engine that uses no oil at 10% short and no problem.

Start out with 3.6 litres low by 10%, thrash it, & use some oil, that is getting far too low on oil. IMO)

I have had 1000cc engines that take 3.7 litres of oil, but then never use any between services.

You fill the correct oil,

you might check it and in 12,000 miles no oil is required.

Simple dipstick with Min & Max & dipped cold.

george

So you've used 6.5 litres in 13k miles?

Must check mine tomorrow... this is insane, never checked a cars oil so much lol

Just double checked with someone else about how many miles per litre I'm doing and since the service it's 1500 miles/ litre

Im still sure a lot of it is down to how people read the dipstick. If its within the middle of the hash area I am not topping up (done 1000 miles since buying a 2010 vrs and not topped up. Car is kver 10000 miles now)

Im still sure a lot of it is down to how people read the dipstick. If its within the middle of the hash area I am not topping up (done 1000 miles since buying a 2010 vrs and not topped up. Car is kver 10000 miles now)

Not sure I follow here, I pull out the dipstick, no oil present, I then put some in and dip again, oil on stick. Is there another way a dipstick works?

5000 miles 6 litres of oil

• Like 1

Not sure I follow here, I pull out the dipstick, no oil present, I then put some in and dip again, oil on stick. Is there another way a dipstick works?

5000 miles 6 litres of oil

Your light didnt come on when there was no oil on your dipstick?

Your light didnt come on when there was no oil on your dipstick?

Its never a good feeling when you plunge your dipstick into the hole and it comes out dry...... :giggle:

I can understand the frustrations of thos owners with an issue.

When you bag yourself a new/low mileage ride you expect her to be all lubricated ready for when you want some action. Not a good having to lubricate her parts so frequently yourself like and old banger. :rofl::rock:

• Like 4