anyone had a new engine or rebuid 14 tsi 180

curs

Hi has anyone had to have a new engine or engine rebuild for the fabia vrs (180) do to using lots of oil.

I would like to have some proof to give to my dealer that some owners have had problems with oil consumption as I think I am being fobbed off.

after 2.5k miles i used round about 5LT oil I am now getting worried as I wanted to keep this car over 3 years. the dealer has told me to fill it up and do 1k and fill it up again to see how much oil I have used and they will then get in touch with Scoda UK if it used what I am saying.

One of the problems I am getting is I can never get the dip stick reading the same leave over night on a slight hill dip stick reads full (after filling) when warm at my mums reads less than half on dip stick how should I fill it? so I know it is full as I dont want to over fill thankyou.

Edited by curs

I know this doesn't help but I havn't used a drop of oil in over 1000 miles since I bought the car.

Mixed driving, lots of motorway (50%?), Dual Carridgeway/Single Carridgeway NSL A Roads (25-35%) and the rest town driving.

Reasonable amount of hooning, but all when the oil was over 90 degrees.

Wait for oil to warm up full then thrash the balls off it. Might help seal a few bits in the engine. Never nurse a new engine.

I actually contacted Skoda UK and my dealer I had so much difficulty taking an accurate oil reading from my vrs. In the end I figured out the only way to have a proper reading was to park it on a flat surface overnight and check first thing the next morning from stone cold. If you wait for it to drain into the sump after a run it seems to take forever (2 to 3 hours just wasn't doing it for me).

My personal experience of oil consumption is 500ml in 6k. For some reason my oil usage seems to be increasing and not decreasing though.

User manual, page 164:

Caution

 Always check the oil level on vehicles with engine 1.2 ltr./44 kW when the engine is

cold, on other vehicles when the engine is warm. Otherwise the measuring result is

incorrect und oil could be incorrectly replenished - risk of engine damage!

So checking while cold is certainly not recommended on a vRS, and on any Fabia other than the 1.2LT/44 KW. I check mine usually after a small trip, when engine is hot but not boiling!

User manual, page 164:

Caution

 Always check the oil level on vehicles with engine 1.2 ltr./44 kW when the engine is

cold, on other vehicles when the engine is warm. Otherwise the measuring result is

So checking while cold is certainly not recommended on a vRS, and on any Fabia other than the 1.2LT/44 KW. I check mine usually after a small trip, when engine is hot but not boiling!

Thanks for that. this morning I checked the oil on leavel ground when the engine was cold and it read just under half full, went for a short drive till the temp gage was at normal (middle)came home parked in same place and left for 15 mins checked and the oil was only just showing so topped it up to full mark will see how it is over the next 500 to 600 miles and keep a record and will check it in the same place and do the same.

Edited by curs

Thanks for that. this morning I checked the oil on leavel ground when the engine was cold and it read just under half full, went for a short drive till the temp gage was at normal (middle)came home parked in same place and left for 15 mins checked and the oil was only just showing so topped it up to full mark will see how it is over the next 500 to 600 miles and keep a record and will check it in the same place and do the same.

So basically you have just over filled with oil ?

If it was on half before going for a short drive I doubt very much it would have used all that oil and checking the oil after leaving it 15 mins is nowhere near long enough as others have had to leave it for hours !

I'd check the level when it's cold as overfilling could do more damage !

+1 for cold too, can take a good hour or so for the oil to drain back into the sump. Not sure why the book says that!

So basically you have just over filled with oil ?

If it was on half before going for a short drive I doubt very much it would have used all that oil and checking the oil after leaving it 15 mins is nowhere near long enough as others have had to leave it for hours !

I'd check the level when it's cold as overfilling could do more damage !

IT dident use all that oil it just showed a different leave as the engine was then warm, manaul says check when engine is warm 2 local dealers said must be checked when warm as if you check when cold you get a false reading and it will always show more oil when it is cold as the oil has drained to the bottom of the sump but with these engines that is not the time to check as with most cars.

+1 for cold too, can take a good hour or so for the oil to drain back into the sump. Not sure why the book says that!

Because if you top your oil up to max when the engine is cold when the engine warms up and the oil expands due to the heat it will then be running with to much oil in it.

Because if you top your oil up to max when the engine is cold when the engine warms up and the oil expands due to the heat it will then be running with to much oil in it.

But this has always been the way since year dot. Surely the line on the dipstick is designed to compensate for that :wonder:

If it isn't designed like that, then it is a bit silly really as you would never be able to judge the right amount of oil....Is it still warm enough, but has all drained into the sump? Easier to accurately measure oil when it has been standing for a good few hours than 10mins sitting on the drive with the engine up to temp.

User manual, page 164:

Caution

I'm incredibly confused now. :no:

Iv had my vrs nearly 4 weeks now, used 1.5l of oil, took it in due to some strange noise and come back to say could be piston rings; this would explain the oil consumption and the occasional smoke from the exhaust :/!! Hopefully new engine will be out in

Easy solution........as has been said leave it to go cold (even overnight) and on level ground.......then what i do is make sure that the oil is 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the dipstick between the min and max marks! This way there is no problem with heat expansion/surge etc etc. If I'm going on a long motorway drive I top up to 3/4 full! B)

This seems strange I've always been told to check oil when cold and level ground?, what's changed ?

Somebody quoted from the manual!!!!

User manual, page 164:

Caution

ï‚· Always check the oil level on vehicles with engine 1.2 ltr./44 kW when the engine is

confused???? :S

Somebody quoted from the manual!!!!

User manual, page 164:

Caution

ï‚· Always check the oil level on vehicles with engine 1.2 ltr./44 kW when the engine is

confused???? :S

Yes, extremely! As a number of other people have posted since four wheeled beasts roamed the earth you check when cold on level ground. Check when warm? As I previously posted I've waited for 2-3 hours from hot and found the oil not fully drained to the sump. I guessed due to the secondary oil pump cooling the turbo after the engine stopped. I also contacted Skoda UK and their advice was from cold on level ground so i'm really stumped now.

I've also found the opposite from what is being suggested. I think the oil appears lower when warm (possibily due to the additional oil pump again). When warm after half an hour to an hour it showed around half full when the previous morning it had showed in the top third of the dipstick. The day after delivery from the dealers I checked my oil from cold and it was actually a quarter over the top the of the dipstick. At the time I thought this was an error but i'm not so sure now?

Edited by RobL

I genuinely can't see how measuring at warm can be accurate, there is too much oil left in the system.

Whenever I have had engine oil low warning, I have measured at cold, and it has been low. Topped up to half way on the dipstick and job has been a good one.

Every other time I have measure has been at cold.

Never seemed to have any issues yet.

Yes, extremely! As a number of other people have posted since four wheeled beasts roamed the earth you check when cold on level ground. Check when warm? As I previously posted I've waited for 2-3 hours from hot and found the oil not fully drained to the sump. I guessed due to the secondary oil pump cooling the turbo after the engine stopped. I also contacted Skoda UK and their advice was from cold on level ground so i'm really stumped now.

I've also found the opposite from what is being suggested. I think the oil appears lower when warm (possibily due to the additional oil pump again). When warm after half an hour to an hour it showed around half full when the previous morning it had showed in the top third of the dipstick. The day after delivery from the dealers I checked my oil from cold and it was actually a quarter over the top the of the dipstick. At the time I thought this was an error but i'm not so sure now?

I've come to the conclussion from what has been said on this thread that the old "from cold" (as it allows everything to drain back into the sump to be measured) is still the best way for your engine and that the quote from the manual is a heap of #### that was a mistake at the printers or "lost intranslation". B)

Would be interesting to hear what Skoda uk have to say on the matter!

Actually you can check it anytime you want when the engine is stopped. There is an old myth about it has to be cold because the oil in circulation needs to drain into the crankcase for an accurate reading. Modern engine design is such that this does not happen to any major degree anymore. There is little oil in circulation. Probably less than a couple of ounces. Oil filters are now mounted where they retain the oil in them when the engine shuts down. Oil viscosity has been perfected to where temperature has no effect on volume.

So the most accurate reading is obtained with the engine stopped for over 10 minutes. Then any residual oil has been returned to the crankcase. This was told by my sister-in-laws son who works for Vauxhall he also said Vauxhall cars oil checked when warm

One of the factors that affects oil level is the water content. If you engine had been standing overnight and it is chilly, then there will be water in the oil in the morning so it will read higher than the actual oil amount. Once it is up to heat, switch off and let it drain for a few minutes then dip it and you will get a more accurate reading. That is why the manual says to do it when warm.

It is the same with brake fluid, that is why you change it often, even though it is still full.