Anti Toyo tyre thread

Newera

Well considering how many people bang on about Toyos mine have worn out very quickly compared to how they performed on high performance Peugeots 306s. Local tyre 'merchant' claimed Toyos were developed for Scoobies so not suprised they wear out on Fab VRS cars as they are a little different to say the least. But where to go now? I could fork out 180 notes on two Exaltos as they have done very well on the rear (at least a year more to go) and lasted quite well on the front and are quite flat so look good on standard rims. But.. have been quoted a price 60 quid cheaper for Pirelli P100s. What I need are people who drive hard around bends on standard rims. I will do the tracking too so no excuses next time.

Quote from knowledgeable business partner: "They have not lasted very well".

Edited by Newera

Yep they are soft as anything. Thats why everyone raves about their grip levels! The exaltos are the best tyre I have tried. Last ages and are super grippy. Very much recomended!

Oh and yeah i try hard on the bends ;)

Did you drive like a loon?

Only had my set fitted last month, seem brill so far, although cant comment on wear levels yet.

...Always remember my old fiesta zetec s, stuct braced, polybushes, coilovers, had conts pro contact2s fitted, drove like a loon, they lasted 3 months....

just had 4 new Kumho Ecsta KU39's on mine. Can't comment on wear as only done about 500 miles but grip in wet and dry seems to be very good. I did quite a bit of research before buying and reviews seem very good.

the fitters told me they are asymetric tyres designed to help with cornering and wet grip and wear should be pretty good as they are a relatively hard compound. will have to wait and see.

just had 4 new Kumho Ecsta KU39's on mine. Can't comment on wear as only done about 500 miles but grip in wet and dry seems to be very good. I did quite a bit of research before buying and reviews seem very good.

the fitters told me they are asymetric tyres designed to help with cornering and wet grip and wear should be pretty good as they are a relatively hard compound. will have to wait and see.

cost by the way was £80 per corner fitted and balanced (inc VAT)

I have T1-R Proxes....... by Toyo....very good wear levels!

Edited by Newera

How quickly did your tyres wear-out, in terms of miles and time period 'Newera'

Well it was after the winter. Can't find receipt so its in last tax year so about end of March, 2011. They just don't cut it on the Fabia. I used to rag the Peugeots so now know the difference between the Toyos on those cars and Fabias. Roads around here are rennowned for drivability and emptiness (most of the times) so hard driving around bends (which I know very well after 15 years) did it.

Went from toyos to maxxis on my last car must preferred the grip levels wet and dry with the maxxis. Going for these next on the fabia as well. A mate is trying them on his evo5 at the moment and is very impressed with them also

Just a quick update Ian Jones Tyres in Kington Herefordshire say May 17, 2011. They have actually worn out that quickly.

T1Rs last ages on the mongrel! I bought my superleg alloys last year with T1S on them ( yes THAT old ) and they are still all legal all round, and grip is decent too! I hope to be ordering T1R when they need replacing unless something better comes in at a lower price (like vredesteins which are VERY grippy, but even softer than Toyos)

Meh. I find them to be perfectly acceptable on my car, but then they're the only tyres I have tried on it.

I can't find the receipt, but it was a few weeks before a brake overhaul which was performed in April, so the current set were probably fitted at end of March sort of time. They're only just about at the point where I should swap rear / front wheels around I guess - something else for the weekend todo list :)

Spinning the wheels a lot?

Managed 10k from the fronts on my vRS, mostly motorway trundling, too. The rears have done substantially more though, probably around 24k and still have something like 3-4mm left.

Continental PremiumContact2 got about 14k on the front before I changed, for comparison.

I'm not anti-Toyo. They grip well and don't cost too much. Just don't expect them to last forever.

On my 2004 car I replaced the OEM Michelins at 37,500 miles with Toyo T1-Rs, had to buy a new set of fronts at around 55,000 (rears OK) and sold the car at 64,500 still with reasonable tread depth left all round.

I've replaced the mismatched set inherited with my second-hand 2007 car with Toyo T1-Rs three months ago - but mileage has decreased a lot nowadays so can't tell the wear rate yet.

What I can report is that the low speed ride has noticeably improved - not as harsh on the poor roads we have in Gloucestershire.

Edited by DRJ

i had T1-Rs on mine they lasted around 6 months drove like a loon. ive since replaced with the newer toyo PX4s im very impressed with grip levels tire noise is a little louder but by no means unbearable. ive had mine on since july and still got easily 7mm tread on the fronts doing 5-600 mile aweek motorway driving, rears are literally like brand new

I changed my t1r's at 10k but they where absolute crap in the wet. I'd probably say I got about 8k of good grip. Since gone pirelli p zero's. Last about 15k. Funny thing is even when on the marker they dont feel like they've lost their grip.

Exalto's are great. Had a few sets on the clio's over the years. Wish I had them on the furby. And they last ages.

I find my Toyo's last about 10k on the front, I don't mind as they provide a good amount of grip IMO.

I'm going to try something different soon though and go for some Continental Sport Contact 3's. Another reason for switching to them is I can swap wheels to whichever side I want. The main problem I find with the Toyo's is that they are directional, and the nearside tyres wear out faster than the offside thanks to the trackdays I do.

Get about 11k out of T1Rs on the front. Am on third pair - wear rate is pretty consistent at that.

Got 15k out of original Turanzas.

My opinion: Toyos are a decent tyre for the price. There may be better out there but you will pay more. The 87W load-rated ones have a strong carcase and stand a fair bit of abuse.

A downside is that like all directional patterns, you can't easily move them round to even up wear.

Looking around for others at the mo as will need a full set in another few K. Something that lasts longer for not a lot more money could actually turn out to be better value?

Anybody running Hankooks?

So what mileage does that represent in that short time?

My guess is about 5,000 miles. I know the roads too well and must drive too hard. Trouble is there could always be a farmer's tractor around the bend so I am not condoning hard driving around bends. You have to be pretty sure. I cannot for the life of me think of anything else which would wear out the tread apart from spinning the front wheels, which I do not. Tracking I will look into on monday when I put the expensive PS3s on.

A downside is that like all directional patterns, you can't easily move them round to even up wear.

Therein lies the problem.

What pressures are you running - tyres shouldn't wear out THAT quickly.

Interesting.... Nitrogen normnal pressures. Berhaps back to normal air mix would be better or higher pressure or what?