Project Fabia "Mongrel" thread

devonutopia

Well, it soon became apparent that my car was smoking the same, if not worse, with the new head.  Even the police pulled me over for a word..... So, back to the garage.

Turbo pulled, and there was a lot of oil on the inside, so ultimately that must have been causing my symptoms more than the cracked head.  So turbo is off for new seals, etc and all being well I can push for well in excess of 300bhp without the need for 40PSI of boost :D

How it was on tickover.   :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZhNCJpe9SU&feature=youtu.be

Well, it soon became apparent that my car was smoking the same, if not worse, with the new head.  Even the police pulled me over for a word..... So, back to the garage.

Turbo pulled, and there was a lot of oil on the inside, so ultimately that must have been causing my symptoms more than the cracked head.  So turbo is off for new seals, etc and all being well I can push for well in excess of 300bhp without the need for 40PSI of boost :D

So it will out ready to play soon then?? you managed to find a policeman? I'm lucky if I see one in your neck of the woods and some of the cars I've seen down there really shouldn't be on the roads (especially those running up and down the sea front and Queens Drive)

Are you coming to the snetterton track next month?

Doubt it will be ready, plus there's the cost of the repairs.  Has meant I need to be a bit tight on cash for a couple of months, especially as the detailing income tends to tail off this time of year. :)

Well, the turbo has been received by darkside and stripped down.  Ahem, yeah..  Not ideal :D  Despite this, the turbo has never actually let go or stopped boosting. :D  For a quick turnaround I am basically being sent a replacement complete unit, and darkside will make another hybrid from my bits.

Jason%20Compressor%20wheel.jpg

• Like 3

Doubt it will be ready, plus there's the cost of the repairs.  Has meant I need to be a bit tight on cash for a couple of months, especially as the detailing income tends to tail off this time of year. :)

Well, the turbo has been received by darkside and stripped down.  Ahem, yeah..  Not ideal :D  Despite this, the turbo has never actually let go or stopped boosting. :D  For a quick turnaround I am basically being sent a replacement complete unit, and darkside will make another hybrid from my bits.

Jason%20Compressor%20wheel.jpg

What turbo are you running? I thought you was an accountant or something....lol

• Like 1

I am a qualified accountant by day :D

I am running the Darkside GTB2566vk turbo - A 2260 with hybrid innards.

maybe you can have a word with the wife, as she doesn't have the same ethos about cars andthe amount of money I spend (or don't spend if I'm asked)

Another quick update.  I have a BLT engine with just 46,500 miles on the clock now.  I got the complete thing as wanted to keep all together to keep fresh, but really only need the bottom end,

If anyone needs a low mileage head with injectors / cam.  Give me a shout. :D

12107194_10153664644805489_1514147302550

• 1 year later...

Another quick update.  I have a BLT engine with just 46,500 miles on the clock now.  I got the complete thing as wanted to keep all together to keep fresh, but really only need the bottom end,

If anyone needs a low mileage head with injectors / cam.  Give me a shout. :D

12107194_10153664644805489_1514147302550

Well, around a year on, and the above unit was just moved on.  Instead the car has now gone to derv-tech for some loving including a 2 litre bottom end build.

However as the car was running a fairly recently fitted head, the car was dyno'd right away anyway!  330bhp! :D  Then the cam timing was checked - Ooh, factory... Advanced 4 degrees - 360bhp :D  And then with some tweaks 378bhp! :o - Using a squirt of laughing gas to spool the turbo earlier. :thumbup:  Still max boost only 2.5 bar (have run at 2.8 and it killed my first turbo)

Hoping for 400bhp on the 2 litre block.  It seems my head was never a real problem.  And most of my white smoke troubles on normal driving was down to cam timing / setup.  Looking forward to getting the car back now but it will be a while as a 70k mile Cupra TDI block is being used as the basis of the 2 litre block - Being machined, Crank fettled with, My Rosten rods and new 2 litre pistons that I have already purchased.

Edited by devonutopia
  • Like 4

Isn't a 2.0 just a 1.9 bottom end? Only difference is the 2.0 has a balance shaft as you can convert them to the 1.9 oil pump, balance shaft is for the 2.0 head being twin can? May be wrong as only work at Audi for 6 years.

I seen them update on Facebook about it, sound good as expected!

A few 2.0 bottom ends floating around at the minute, none of them up and running yet I don't think?!

Been running mine since around April/May time. Done a fair few miles on it now, still needing some mapping tweeks as I have been having issues with boost leaks so got some new pipework to get fitted. Should have dyno results on mine next weekend all being well Edited by Southy
  • Like 1

And on to darkside I go to look at turbos, race cams and injectors. Sad I never got a lap of this at the ring.. had no idea it was kicking out that amount of power!

I want

it was awesome Andy, seriously... has the brakes and handling too.... might be a rattly old shed, but bloody hell it can lap fast! :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst numbers mean nothing to me really, the fact they said this is the fastest fabia they have ever driven (before the new engine...) suggests something is pretty quick :D 

No updates yet.  It's sat around whilst the donor bottom end is away I think.  I know its now sporting a derv tech sunstrip. :D

• Like 2