EGR Delete

I own a 2006 Fabia vrs running an Allard EGR delete pipe, because the plug is now disconnected this has put the engine light on with an active EGR fault. The car runs faultlessly but I've had advisories on the last 2 MOT's for the engine light being lit, I've recently found out that from January 2012 this will be an MOT failure. Would a remap be able to cancel the light or is there anything available to plug into the EGR wiring to cancel the fault?

Not on a BLT, you need the valve to be present. However a remap can stop it from actually working (i.e. it can be set to be closed all the time), you just need the valve to be there.

No, as it's a surface mounted LED, not a bulb, and it's also the main engine management light so you would really want it present so it can warn you of other (non-EGR) faults. Taking it out would be a silly idea, and possibly an MOT failure next year.

It's a BLT, I did plug in the EGR valve and cancel the fault but there's not much room in the engine bay to hide it out the way. Might just have to bite the bullet and re-fit the EGR as Allard lists the kit for the ASZ.

Surely you could wire in a variable resistor or something to make it seem as though the egr is there and operationg?

If only. The BLT engine uses an EGR vacuum operated, but also a separate throttle body/ASV that is controlled by the ECU electronically.

So the vacuum hose could be removed and blocked? Allard pipe fitted and wiring adjusted to suit, which could have a variable resistor in to give a reading to make the ecu think the egr valve is there and operating? Or am I dreaming?

So the vacuum hose could be removed and blocked? Allard pipe fitted and wiring adjusted to suit, which could have a variable resistor in to give a reading to make the ecu think the egr valve is there and operating? Or am I dreaming?

One solution is to have a custom EGR delete made, that will accept the throttle body being bolted back onto it. The EML can then be mapped out by a tuner as part of a remap.

I still think it is better to leave the EGR alone, and do the elephant hose mod, to remove the oil vapor from the equation, and turn down EGR as low as possible with VCDS. That way you just get dry soot, and combustion temps will stay normal.

DSCF0736-1.jpg

Elephant hose mod?

Yup, disconnect hose from rocker cover to inlet, plug inlet where the original hose was fitted, run new hose from rocker cover into a vented oil catch tank, and no more blow by gases get back into the engine. So no more gunge in the EGR or inlet manifold.

How do the guy's who fit the Seat Sport FMIC get around fitting one of them with the Forge hose kit without an EGR delete in place?I can't figure out how it connects up with the original piping?

Edited by Southy

Pretty sure it should work as it's actually the anti-shudder part of the valve that's electrical, the EGR is still vacuum operated. As EGR faults are generally detected by too much airflow over the MAF (which indicates that instead of, say, 200mg/stroke being fresh air over the MAF and 200mg/stroke being piped through the EGR, all 400mg/stroke is going over the MAF) then it should be possible to change these values to compensate for the increased MAF airflow on idle and part-throttle.

For example, my old PD150 Leon as standard was something like 270mg/stroke specified MAF airflow at idle, but if I unplugged the vacuum pipe on the EGR then it went up to something like 480mg/stroke, which then caused an EML. But because my Fabia is mapped for an EGR delete, the specified figure has been changed to something like 600mg/stroke so the figure of 480 is no longer considered excessive by the ECU and the EML stays off.

As far as I'm aware you can still do this on a BLT engine, you just can't physically remove the valve as it also contains the electrically operated stepper motor anti-shudder system. Whereas on an ASZ this is also vacuum operated so can be removed without the ECU knowing.

• 6 months later...