Shake, Rattle and Moan

dickyd

Hi,

To go along with the various buzzing and rattling from behind the instruments, air bag and centre vents, an all new noise has decided to spoil my VRS ownership experience.

Has any one else had this, it sounds like a high pitched 'crack' coming from the front passenger door every time you go over a join in the road. I would put up with it like the other rattles however because of the loudness and pitch of it, the noise can be heard over the stereo.

Any ides for a quick fix before going to the dealers.

Cheers

Hi,

To go along with the various buzzing and rattling from behind the instruments, air bag and centre vents, an all new noise has decided to spoil my VRS ownership experience.

Has any one else had this, it sounds like a high pitched 'crack' coming from the front passenger door every time you go over a join in the road. I would put up with it like the other rattles however because of the loudness and pitch of it, the noise can be heard over the stereo.

Any ides for a quick fix before going to the dealers.

Cheers

a lot of folks with the vrs are complaining about the sound of nuts n bolts in a tin can, think its a very vrs traite Adam260 has had it up to his eye ballsemoticon-0106-crying.gif

rattles are driving me crazy in my VRS, and spoiling my ownership experience. They are seemingly coming from two very obvious places:

1. top left of the stereo or perhaps the blank plastic panel on the left of the airconditioning controls. I've stuck some folded paper in the gap to try to stop it but it doesn't work all the time. Applying some pressure to the top left of the stereo seems to help but I need at least one hand on the wheel because of where the other major rattle is...

2. seemingly in the top section of the driver's side door card, where the card meets the corner of the dashboard. If I wedge my finger in the gap between these panels, it seems to stop the rattle but as soon as I put my hand back on the wheel to play with the paddles it's rattling like a bag of bones again. It could also be a loose electric mirror, as when I open the window and hold the side mirror surround it seems to stop (though perhaps the wind noise from the open window is drowning it out).

Anyway, finding it all pretty unacceptable on such a new car. One or two rattles on very bumpy roads are forgiveable but these are pretty much constant annoyances even on smooth roads and at all temperatures and speeds and can be heard over the volume of the radio as well. Car has been back to the dealer but not fixed.

Any suggestions?

rattles are driving me crazy in my VRS, and spoiling my ownership experience. They are seemingly coming from two very obvious places:

1. top left of the stereo or perhaps the blank plastic panel on the left of the airconditioning controls. I've stuck some folded paper in the gap to try to stop it but it doesn't work all the time. Applying some pressure to the top left of the stereo seems to help but I need at least one hand on the wheel because of where the other major rattle is...

2. seemingly in the top section of the driver's side door card, where the card meets the corner of the dashboard. If I wedge my finger in the gap between these panels, it seems to stop the rattle but as soon as I put my hand back on the wheel to play with the paddles it's rattling like a bag of bones again. It could also be a loose electric mirror, as when I open the window and hold the side mirror surround it seems to stop (though perhaps the wind noise from the open window is drowning it out).

Anyway, finding it all pretty unacceptable on such a new car. One or two rattles on very bumpy roads are forgiveable but these are pretty much constant annoyances even on smooth roads and at all temperatures and speeds and can be heard over the volume of the radio as well. Car has been back to the dealer but not fixed.

Any suggestions?

EARPLUGS :rofl:

17" wheels and sports suspension the common denominator perhaps? :wonder:

Lee

Poorly built car... common denominator? :) Factory churning them out to keep up with demand, obviously not doing a brilliant job. Guess a few of us have been unlucky. I'll be shipping off to the Japanese manufacturers in the next few months as Skoda as a company are pretty useless at dealing with any problems :)

Edited by adamc260

no problem with mine, a few littel squeaks and rattles seems to have disappeared over time..

as for door rattles and squeaks, you can check the clips are in place, deaden the door, there's plenty of space of sound proofing and deadening.

This sounds like what mine is doing, mostly in the drivers door. It doesn't always do it, but usually over a road joint at low speed. I remember that my very first Octavia did something like this too, it was found to be the door catches.

I had 3 sets of them replaced in all.

Not sure if this is the problem or not, but may be well worth checking the door hinges on that door where the high pitch crack noise is coming from when going over bumps etc. Common problem on many motors in the past. Often it's because the door hinges are 'dry of lube'. Many hinges of course don't actually require lube due to self lubing bushes, but don't know if that's the case on the VRs.

Not sure if this is the problem or not, but may be well worth checking the door hinges on that door where the high pitch crack noise is coming from when going over bumps etc. Common problem on many motors in the past. Often it's because the door hinges are 'dry of lube'. Many hinges of course don't actually require lube due to self lubing bushes, but don't know if that's the case on the VRs.

Think the problem was the top of the door card where it meets the very top left edge of the door card where it meets the window frame/rubber. the plastic seems to rub on the rubber window seal and sticks on and off, a bit of wd40 has been applied and will test it later on the way to work.

Dunno if its worth asking the dealer to look at the dash ones as last time it was in he said just to leave it as it will fix itself !!

What I can see is a higher number of hatchback cars having niggly noises more than the Estate... anyone else notice or is it just me :rofl:

Probably estate owners have enough problems already to worry about (wife, bunch o' children, big hairy dog), so bothering with little rattles and noises is kind of a luxury for them! :rofl:

But maybe that's the solution!

Edited by newbie69

Mystery door 'clicking' has been fixed by clever old me.

It was indeed the door card top edge flexing over bumps and rubbing on the door rubber around the window edge causing a clicking noise. Bit of WD40 cured and lubricated it although you'd think it shouldn't do it in the first place.

Oh well only 4 more to sort in the dash but I might just leave them until its first service is due.

My local dealer has found a way to reduce warranty claims.

Charge £12 a day for insurance on a courtesy car..... can't be a r s e d to take it up now !!!

I have an estate 1422cc diesel PD which is now over 3 years old and I have owned it from new. I realise you guys are talking about the VRs. But I have carried everything I can think of in it, including the kitchen sink and one third of a ton of bathroom tiles too ( made it sit down a bit!). But inspite of being thrown around mercilessly the only noise I have had in the car that shouldn't have been there is a dashboard rattle that actually emminated from the front air intake pipe where it joins the front grill. Once that was sorted, the car has been...well, silent on the rattle front and I have no other rattle of any kind. Oh yes...there's the engine!! :D

ok WD40 it is for me in the morning for the door card rattle as I think a cicada is rying to give birth in there at the moment. will let you know if it works. fingers and toes crossed. thanks for the suggestion dickyd :)

I get a constant rattle from my stereo on flat roads, does my head in! Skoda are ordering parts for my car (wing mirror adjustor has popped inside the door and has been like that from new!!) and when they arrive they're doing it all at once. They can give me a bloody car this time though because I paid £50 over 5 days to insure myself on a corsa while it was in getting the wiper motor replaced.

Only rattle I had was the sunglasses holder which was sorted with WD40. Mine was registered back in July 2010, maybe the older one's had more love and attention? :wub:

Maybe they had more WD40 sprayed on them at the factory.......

Ok, some progress on the rattles front.

Rattle in door card fixed with WD40, plastic door card was rubbing on the rubber window surround.

A rattle that sounded like it was from the glove box was actually the passenger seat belt holder vibrating against the seat base ( sound must have been reflected ). This was fixed with a bit of sponge and black electricians tape.

Another one turned out to be my MDI and memory stick vibrating, stuffed it in an old black sock and pushed it right in, sorted.

Next up was one coming from behind the air bag? I found that if you open the passenger door where the air bag switch is , there is a panel above it. When you tap it it buzzes. I put a bit of sponge in the gap there and it stopped that also.

The last one which I am yet to solve is the one from the instrument cluster. I need some thin grey sponge to wedge between the surround and the instruments then that should be that.

Had the car booked into the dealers next Wednesday but am going to cancel, can't be bothered to take it in for one rattle. Will leave that for its service next year unless anything else comes up.