Piper stainless steel exhaust giveaway draw

PiperRS

We are happy to annouce that we are now a forum sponsor.

Piper Exhausts are part of Piper RS Ltd and a sister company of Piper Cams, one of the oldest and best known cam manufacturers in British motor sport.

Piper have been producing exhausts for over 20 years and their range covers most of the popular cars released over that time. Piper can offer exhausts made from T304 aircraft quality stainless steel or black enameled mild steel. All have been designed with both performance and style in mind. Piper Exhausts uses the same flow bench and R&D facilities as Piper Cams when developing new products to ensure maximum performance. Piper Exhausts are renown for their unparallel choice of tailpipe style options and the ease of fit of their systems. This, and their exceptional value for money, make them the choice of both professional fitters and DIY tuning enthusiasts alike.

Piper with the help of Unit 18 Automotive, have completed development of a turbo back performance exhaust system for the Skoda Fabia VRS.

For your chance to win a Piper stainless steel cat-back exhaust system to suit the MK1 Fabia VRS, you will need to answer the following question:

What factors do you take in to consideration when modifying your car?

Your answer could be, for example; performance gain, company reputation, warranty etc.

TSEA6AS.jpg

The exhaust is available with a range of tailpipes and from 0-1 silencers. Your names will be taken from this thread, and chosen at random. The closing date for entries is Sunday 18/12/11, with the winner being announced Monday 19/12/11!

The winner will be presented their exhaust at our Autosport stand, between 12th-15th January 2012.

If this is not possible we will send it to your door. Overseas members will have to cover carriage fees.

Please see our website Piperexhausts.co.uk.

• 2 weeks later...

Unit18 have recently fitted a Piper stainless steel turbo-back exhaust system with one silencer and a de-cat to a standard Fabia VRS.

This along with a panel filter when put on a rolling road gave gains of 18.6 BHP & 45.1NM over standard figures!

rolling_road_just_exhaust_and_panel_filter.jpg

The Fabia was then complemented with a map and then run again. It produced 179.4BHP & 401.4NM, gains of 50.4BHP & 91.4NM!

rolling_road_with_exhaust_panel_filter_and_remap.jpg

Mostly that any extra power added is balanced with sensible upgrades

like improved brakes, tyres and suspension etc.

Secondly I like my car to look a little different from standard but

not enough to detract from what the designer had in mind.

Personalisation is very important to me, who wants an anony-box?

The main factor for me is the original car design, does the modification enhance what is already there and take an oem part to the next level of what the designers would have done if it wasn't tamed for the mass market.

Price! Is the mod worth the price in terms of performance gains, reliability and qualtiy of materianls used.

Thirdly do people look at it an say "that looks nice" but what have you changed on the car? Subtleness is the key!

P.S pick me! :)

I cant speak for everyone but most people i know, when modifying their cars its on their daily driver. You want to be able to live with the car every day and still enjoy driving it. At the end of the day who doesnt like a the thrill of a good drive

I guess one of the main things most people take into consideration is looks. Everyone modifys their cars to change the look from the standard model, to stand out from the crowd, get attention.

Another factor to take into consideration is power gains, the more the better right? But power isnt everything, it has to drive well. You dont want to be spending all that money and have your car drive like a bag of spanners

Many people have many different tastes so the list could go on forever.

For me personally, I prefer cars that look standard, so have standard rims, standard body parts etc. So ensuring a car looks pristine outside is a number one priority. So any exterior modification has to be OEM as opposed to aftermarket. I think the vRS is a beautiful car without having any external modifications done to it.

With regards to engine modifications though I look at how the modification is going to affect the reliability of the engine and what sort of gains will I achieve from the modification.

Nothing better than having a car that looks totally standard, yet underneath it's packing a nice punch, while keeping the engine reliable and fuel efficient.

Obviously just my two cents, the car is my daily commuter so I want it to return good MPG, but I do enjoy having a lead foot every now and then. Especially when there's Rep Mobiles close behind! :p

Edited by jgarside90

Can you tell it's been modified?? does it stand out much??

i like my cars to look as standard as possible but go as fast as possible.

Whenever i considering modifing a car i think, what would i think if i saw that drive down the street?? tasteful or tacky, enthusiast or boyracer.

For these reasons i shy aware from visual modifications(at least to an untrained eye) and stick to the perforamnce mods.

Objective - what am I looking to achieve

Effect on reliability - can I afford to fix it if it goes wrong

Reputation of tuners - positive reviews from other members

Performance claims - as above

Effect on mpg

Effect on insurance

Price

Resale value / desiresbilty

:-)

Will it make girls horny lol

Seriously though I consider how it will enhance my driving pleasure.

Careful consideration is taken to find the perfect compromise between comfort and performance

My checklist for modifying my car for power goes in this order

Quality, reliability, power delivery, tractability, power gains, aftersales support, cost effective/worthwhile

then

will the wife go nuts....

But i have a Mk2 so my checklist doesnt count :rofl:

The main factor I take into consideration when modifying is satisfaction. Mainly the satisfaction when driving your pride and joy, modified to the way you want to drive it, with every part brought to build your own specification. Also the satisfaction you get when fitting those new coilovers, or ordering those new alloys, each step has its own memory, certainly on my bank balance at least! I have spent so much money on different cars and modifications over the years, and every time you buy a new car/new part I always get a mini buzz as you add another piece to your never ending jigsaw, then you stand back, to stare at your masterpiece, knowing that your Fabia is different to everyone elses, which I guess is another factor to stand out from a crowd.

So basically:

Satisfaction while modifying each step (addiction for me), you enjoy the car more, for longer

Satisfaction while driving your Go-Kart like Skoda

To stand out from the crowd B)

Had a full Piper system on my old car and the quality was second to non, even held up better than the more favoured Janspeed exhaust kits people where using.

For me the main factors would be.

1. Keeping it as close to OE spec as possible

2 Performance gains pros and cons.

3 . Costs

4. Practicality for every day use.

Making sure its not OTT.

Prefer a street sleeper to a bling car

Usable performance & keeping drivability

Reliability

Ease of fitment

I guess you are wanting some consumer research so, the main things i consider when buying upgrades are:

In order:

Price

How it would affect reliability/drivability/insurance

Reputation on that particular product from places like forums

Proof of performance increase/other parameter

Other alternatives

Reputation of company