Piper stainless steel exhaust giveaway draw

PiperRS

What factors do you take in to consideration when modifying your car?

• Affordability
  • Practicality
  • The companies reputation, need to have a great aftersales service and warranty
  • Options- i like a choice so that i can be a bit more individual
  • Quality of the product

:)

Unit18 have recently fitted a Piper stainless steel turbo-back exhaust system with one silencer and a de-cat to a standard Fabia VRS.

This along with a panel filter when put on a rolling road gave gains of 18.6 BHP & 45.1NM over standard figures!

rolling_road_just_exhaust_and_panel_filter.jpg

The Fabia was then complemented with a map and then run again. It produced 179.4BHP & 401.4NM, gains of 50.4BHP & 91.4NM!

rolling_road_with_exhaust_panel_filter_and_remap.jpg

Affordability.

Practicality.

Style.

Fuel consumption.

Quality

Being the ripe old age of 49 i,m not interested in Carlos Fandango wheels and go faster strips. seen it all before, but i would like my vrs to look subtely different and a new exhaust system would compliment my remap. Probably all things in moderation.

Sean Woods

The power gains are important, but you also need to make sure it isn't going to upset the driveability of the car (Unless it's a racer, then go all out mental!). There's no point having mods that produce massive power when you can't drive it normally or without shredding tyres etc.

Alos, cost is an important factor, or the bang per buck of the mod. Remaps and exhausts give good improvements for the money, but can only go so far.

Will the modification actually do anything?

Cost of modification (both to buy, fit (if I cannot do it myself) and increase of insurance)

Reputation of company selling the modification

Will it complement the current mods/future mods planned for my car?

Just simply, the complete superior package. It's got to have it all. Ease of fitment, tried and tested power gains, and of course, that great soundtrack! All these combined with a guarantee to keep you smiling for a lifetime B)

Marc

For myself I look to maintain the day to day drive ability whilst enchancing the cars inherent abilities whilst negating any flaws and maintaining an overall balance.

Unbalanced capability upgrades can make a car less desirable. No point having amazing torque or bhp figures if you cannot utilise those gains through poor handling or braking performance. Modifications should be sympathetic to the mechanicals and tailored to the conditions most encountered in your day to day driving.

Modifying cars can allow personal expression and identify the car as yours but for myself I like to keep an OEM look.... A wolf in sheeps clothing is much more favourable IMO than all the looks with nothing to back it up.

I also consider the costs, not only financial but time, environmental and resale. I would happily take a cut in the ultimate benefit of an upgrade if it enhanced the sensation of driving or reduced emissions. I would also rather sacrifice any Potential gains for longevity/service life.

I also take comfort in manufacturer reputation, support and the opinion of others such as the wealth of feedback found on sites such as here.

Overall I am looking to create an OEM looking, well balanced machine with enchanced attributes over the standard vehicle, minimising any negative effects of an upgrade for example a decrease in ride quality or increase in NVH, and doing so at a cost that is in line with the expected improvements and what might be expected to recoup at resale. Aesthetic considerations are to subtly enchance the vehicle to individualise it or to increase perceived quality rather than make it shout about it's modifications.

Specifically for exhausts I would consider material quality, service life, timbre of the exhaust note and volume and of course performance benefits and the impact it may have on the existing setup of the vehicle. I would always seek advice from those more knowledgeable or who have the modification installed already and would be unlikely to spend my own hard earned money on a company of low repute or who is relatively unknown. HTH.

For myself I look to maintain the day to day drive ability whilst enchancing the cars inherent abilities whilst negating any flaws and maintaining an overall balance.

Unbalanced capability upgrades can make a car less desirable. No point having amazing torque or bhp figures if you cannot utilise those gains through poor handling or braking performance. Modifications should be sympathetic to the mechanicals and tailored to the conditions most encountered in your day to day driving.

Modifying cars can allow personal expression and identify the car as yours but for myself I like to keep an OEM look.... A wolf in sheeps clothing is much more favourable IMO than all the looks with nothing to back it up.

I also consider the costs, not only financial but time, environmental and resale. I would happily take a cut in the ultimate benefit of an upgrade if it enhanced the sensation of driving or reduced emissions. I would also rather sacrifice any Potential gains for longevity/service life.

I also take comfort in manufacturer reputation, support and the opinion of others such as the wealth of feedback found on sites such as here.

Overall I am looking to create an OEM looking, well balanced machine with enchanced attributes over the standard vehicle, minimising any negative effects of an upgrade for example a decrease in ride quality or increase in NVH, and doing so at a cost that is in line with the expected improvements and what might be expected to recoup at resale. Aesthetic considerations are to subtly enchance the vehicle to individualise it or to increase perceived quality rather than make it shout about it's modifications.

Specifically for exhausts I would consider material quality, service life, timbre of the exhaust note and volume and of course performance benefits and the impact it may have on the existing setup of the vehicle. I would always seek advice from those more knowledgeable or who have the modification installed already and would be unlikely to spend my own hard earned money on a company of low repute or who is relatively unknown. HTH.

Quality of design, engineering and manufacture

Long-standing reputation of company for their products and customer service

Options for customisation so I can achieve an OE look, not all tuners want their cars to stand out

Performance ability and longevity of upgraded parts

A always try to choose a brand that has been around for a while. A name i can trust.

Price - im always a beleiver of "you get what you pay for"

As for the supplyer. I do sometimes like to give new suppliers the chance. say there is 2 items on ebay that are the same price.. one dealer has 1000feedback and the other has 0.. im one of the weird people that will go for the low feedback one!

they have to start somewhere and if no body buys from them.. they will never build up the rep! and chances are, they will look after you better as your a more valued customer!

Jamie

"What factors do you take in to consideration when modifying your car?

I ask do I need it or do I just want it? priorities are 1. Reliability. 2. Impact on rest of car. 3. Performance increase Vs cash laid out.

It's time to announce the winner!

We didn't have a hat so had to improvise:

IMG-20111219-00087.jpg

The lucky winner of the stainless steel cat-back exhaust developed with Unit18 Automotive is:

Build up..

IMG-20111219-00089.jpg

Congratulations Lee Rich, we will be in contact soon.

We can offer a cat-back Fabia VRS system from £186.29 +VAT, a downpipe from £166.16 +VAT and a turbo-back system for £352.44 +VAT.

Please contact ourselves or one of our dealers for more information.

Wow i can't believe i won, i managed to speak to Piper today who were 100% awesome and gave me the option silencer/no silencer and said i could choose any tail pipe :p

I have a Piper cat-back. Very nice bit of kit...you will be a happy chappy! Oh and congratulations! :)

The Exhaust arrived today less than 24h after finding out i won, the quality is lovely, shame it's going on the bottom of the car there nobody can see it as it's a work of art.

I decided the go with the letterbox style tailpipe that looks most like OE tip and it looks pure class, very subtle in an OE+ way!

:thumbup: Massive thanks and merry christmas to all at Piper

Edited by Lee Rich

The car needs to be able to still have the same quality it had when it was made, without ruining the original build quality. power is a big factor, but theres nowehere around that yo can really push it to its limit, so id rather build a car that looks the part, and people turn there head to look at, and when you need too, it can still go like a stink :D

• 2 weeks later...