Alarm no longer Beeps when Activating?

RoBex

Hi

I have a 2006 Octavia II have had it from new now all of a suddne it no longer beeps when locking and un locking the car?

I looked at the manual and it advises the siren only has a life of 7 years..??? My car is 5 years old?

Could it be the siren that has packed in?

I recently had the boot painted / touched up there could not be any co-incidence there could there?

Thanks

Siren could well have packed in.

Try setting the car alarm off...

A new alarm siren will cost £105 in parts, but I was recently quoted £190 for the whole job by Skoda.

This happened on my 56 plate vRS.

When it was in for a service I mentioned the issue and asked them to take a look.

The VCDS scan just revealed a "fault" and I was quoted something like 2hrs labour to investigate and trace the fault.

As I was replacing my car with a new one I didn't bother - but if I was keeping the car it would have been important as your insurance quote will be based on the vehicle having a working alarm.

Mine beeps when it's locked but doesn't beep when it's unlocked, which I thought was a bit odd. I haven't tried switching off ATA confirm and switching it on again to see if that makes a difference. I notice the auto lock/unlock had recently turned itself off though.

are all octavia's suppose to do this? mine has never beeped :S

Neither has mine. Hmmm

I had to switch it on using Maxidot. ATA Confirm under the convience menu I think it was.

If you don't have Maxidot, find someone local with VCDS to enable it for you

I had to switch it on using Maxidot. ATA Confirm under the convience menu I think it was.

If you don't have Maxidot, find someone local with VCDS to enable it for you

Thought that would maybe be the case. I don't have Maxidot (boo), I do however know someone with VCDS.

Cheers.

Have you been using the 'other' ignition key? Some features need to be activated with each key. In other words, if you set up the system with one key, they might not work with the other key and need to be set up again with that key. Hope that was clear!!!

Mac

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

No I use the same key, the ATA is activated on the Menu so not that - looks like its a new Siren I guess.

Any idea where they are I thought I saw a post saying it was in the wheel arch on the front nearside arch under the covering?

Or is there also a fuse for this too I could check?

Cheers

Rob

I used to have the pdf file, but although sounds daunting is quite east to do. The part number is 1K0951605C This is for a new alarm which replaces 1K0951605A which is fault free.I paid £92.31 from a VW dealer as was cheaper than from skoda. (includes vat) Jack up offside front and remove Offside front wheel (Drivers side) remove the felt wheel arch liner at the top and to the rear to get in to wheel arch . Get a torch and look up then slightly to the left. You will see a black box, remove the nut holdind it and remove or loosen enough to reach inside. The alarm is inside. If you buy the alarm 1st you will see how it connects, remove old one and connect new one. replace the box, you will need a ring spanner I think it is a 8mm or 10mm. Try the alarm off and on 1st to make sure it is connected ok. refasten liner and replace wheel. I new mine had failed as it was scanned with vag-com , alarm not responding, and also lights flashed etc when activated but no sound. Is yours sett to chirp when activated. It really is quite simple to do and you get a great satisfaction from doing yourself , and the dosh you save. Get any nearest dealer, skoda to price match my price,I used Clare James Automotive Halifax. You could just say you have found the part but you are nearer can you price match, part with no vat is 82.69,but got them to 78.56 ex vat . Hope this helps, good luck :thumbup:

I used to have the pdf file, but although sounds daunting is quite east to do. The part number is 1K0951605C This is for a new alarm which replaces 1K0951605A which is fault free.I paid £92.31 from a VW dealer as was cheaper than from skoda. (includes vat) Jack up offside front and remove Offside front wheel (Drivers side) remove the felt wheel arch liner at the top and to the rear to get in to wheel arch . Get a torch and look up then slightly to the left. You will see a black box, remove the nut holdind it and remove or loosen enough to reach inside. The alarm is inside. If you buy the alarm 1st you will see how it connects, remove old one and connect new one. replace the box, you will need a ring spanner I think it is a 8mm or 10mm. Try the alarm off and on 1st to make sure it is connected ok. refasten liner and replace wheel. I new mine had failed as it was scanned with vag-com , alarm not responding, and also lights flashed etc when activated but no sound. Is yours sett to chirp when activated. It really is quite simple to do and you get a great satisfaction from doing yourself , and the dosh you save. Get any nearest dealer, skoda to price match my price,I used Clare James Automotive Halifax. You could just say you have found the part but you are nearer can you price match, part with no vat is 82.69,but got them to 78.56 ex vat . Hope this helps, good luck :thumbup:

Superb post thankyou very much for your help!!

Cheers

Rob

Would just like to add a post on this.

Today I fitted a new alarm for my father as the one in his car died. Skoda wanted £190 to replace it. With advice from bluevrs2 (following this very thread in fact) we managed to get one from my local VW garage (as it is about 2 miles - went there in my lunch hour).

For the princely sum of £98.77 inc vat, and about 90 minutes of our time (and a very well prepared father with all the tools ready and cups of tea at hand!) we set about the job.

The only real hard parts were: -

1. The jack we used was difficult. I think Dad said soon after "I'm binning that!" (although admittedly that is nothing to do with the alarm...)

2. Getting the wheel arch felt cover off was a slight pain because some of the screws were dirty/rusted/full of rubbish, but with a bit of work we got them off.

3. Without going into too much detail, the alarm is held awkwardly to the car, but I managed to replace it with a little bit of effort.

That was about it really. After we had finished we configured the car to chirp when locked/unlocked so we'll know if we need to replace it in the future...

Honestly though, it really is a doddle if you are prepared to spend the time doing it - and saving £100 in the process :thumbup:

Cheers again!

Dave

• 3 months later...

Last night, when I locked the car via the remote button, I didn't get a chirp. I tried several times, and to no avail. This morning, 15 minutes into my journey, on a straight bit of motorway, the siren started wailing, for about 20 seconds at a time, then a gap of about 5 seconds and then on again, for a total of about five minutes. By that stage, I had driven off the motorway, and past Ashchurch Camp ("Sorry" to nearby residents). The alarm stopped after that and the rest of the journey was uneventful, and when I locked the car, the answering chirp was there.

I didn't try silencing the alarm with the remote while driving, just in case the immobiliser cut in.

A few weeks before, I had parked the car for about two weeks, and the battery was too flat to start the car. After a jump-lead start, and 30 mins running, I left it for another week, and same thing. I suspected the alarm was draining the battery as a symptom of being on the way out. Anyone else suspecting this on their car may want to pull the fuse, plug in an Ammeter, and see what current is being sucked through the alarm when the car is parked.

The manual mentions that the siren has a six year service life, after which it will need replacement: "Contact your local Skoda Dealer"

The car is 5.5 years old.

Update 09-03-2012:... some sirens don't quite make it to 6 years:

Well, fast service all round really. Took the car into Startin Skoda, Powick, and told them the symptoms. Apparently it still took them 40 minutes of diagnostic time to decide that the Siren needed replacement, but they did it there and then, so I drove away 2 hours after I had arrived, with job done.

Happily, it was done under warranty. It seems Skoda will pay for 20 mins of diagnostic time associated with a Siren replaced under warranty, and the local dealer were kind enough to not charge me for the other 20 mins. They spotted an oil leak from the sump gasket, which they can fix for £210 when it gets bad enough, so they may get a return on their investment!

Regards

Andy

Edited by HUD Engineer

MY ALARM STARTED WAILING FOR NO REASON PARKED UP AND NOT ACTIVATED, AND IT DRAINED THE BATTERY, MINE WAS ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD AT THE TIME , THE REPLACEMENT ONES ARE MUCH BETTER, THE PARTS GUY AT VW SAID THE OLD CODE ONES ARE ALWAYS FAILING

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

MY ALARM STARTED WAILING FOR NO REASON PARKED UP AND NOT ACTIVATED, AND IT DRAINED THE BATTERY, MINE WAS ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD AT THE TIME , THE REPLACEMENT ONES ARE MUCH BETTER, THE PARTS GUY AT VW SAID THE OLD CODE ONES ARE ALWAYS FAILING

Do you know if they used the non fault ones after a certain year? It kinda would make sense.