Show us your Yeti winter wheels

Yep, my boot's full of "work stuff" - around 100kg's extra - but on 9" wide Dunlop Sport Maxx GT MO which are almost bald when they are new, it's not rocket science to see why it just don't go in the Snow!

3-10-13-1%20(39).JPG

Dad's been out on all speeds now on his Goodyear Wrangler's on his Yeti and he's very happy so far - Snow has not yet been tested.. 

Al.

ps. tyres are not mine, but the same tread pattern... 

Nothing beats winters on a RWD car of course...  but the sand in the back will help a tiny bit to at least get the car sort of going.

Yep, it was the cause of the problems - I would've been better with pin nose pliers

Really, I recon I could get all 20 of these caps off in less than 1 min with the plastic tweezers provided. A lot easier than using long nose pliers, and less chance of damaging your alloys.

• Like 2

Really, I recon I could get all 20 of these caps off in less than 1 min with the plastic tweezers provided. A lot easier than using long nose pliers, and less chance of damaging your alloys.

Same here, I was really impressed as previous cars have been a pain.

Yes, until you stand on them and break them into two pieces, then its like trying to use chopsticks!

• Like 2

Cough, cough - well a 4x4 with winters will  

I was only commenting on RWD cars.   :giggle:

Same here. The plastic tweezers are dead easy to use.

Same here. The plastic tweezers are dead easy to use.

Plastic tweezers? Every Skoda I've owned has had that annoying metal loopy hook device. A right PITA !!

Unless you let the tyre fitter do it when he's changing the wheels ;)

Winters on today for a tenner. :)

The metal hook is for removing wheel trims?

Indeed...  the metal hook has NOTHING to do with the plastic covers over the bolts.  NEXT to this in the foam box is a black plastic tweezer.  THAT is what you use to take these little blighters off.   :giggle:

Would have been good to see a 4wd and 2wd both with winter tyres also compared.

There was such a test in a recent Auto Express (Winter Edition).

Nokian WRD3s, which won with a 100% overall score, were tested along with various other makes, on an indoor snow dome with a 30% slope, and both Ford Kugas (one 2WD other 4WD), got to the top of the 117 metre slope. Interestingly, the same 2 cars on summer tyres only managed just over 3 metres!

Overall the test proved that 2WD (FWD) cars performed better on Winters than 4WD on summers. But for ultimate grip then 4WD with winters (but not by that much).

I was wondering what would fit but didn't like to ask so thanks for the suggestion :D

Just do a search on here for "winter wheels and Caddy".

Most people even fit Škoda badges like I did:

photo3sm.jpg

photo2id.jpg

photo9vn.jpg

OR just read this thread:  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/217147-black-winter-wheels-finally-going-silver/ 

or

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/180539-winters-on-steelies-to-trim-or-not-to-trim/

• Like 1

Indeed...  the metal hook has NOTHING to do with the plastic covers over the bolts.  NEXT to this in the foam box is a black plastic tweezer.  THAT is what you use to take these little blighters off.   :giggle:

So why have I not the tweezers?

Checked again today when the wheels were change and there is ONLY the hook.

Lee, mine looks just like that.

All you really need is a set of Skoda badges stuck on those centre caps.

I don't have a problem with having winter tyres fitted as there are real benefits to having them, but I think if I get some I will have to fit them to my original alloys as I dont like the thought of paying all that money for a great looking Yeti then spoiling it for several months a year by putting little steel wheels on that in my opinion look pretty dreadful. I realize a set of 17" tyres will be more than 16" but I figure I will save money by not forking out for a set of steels or cheap alloys.

I don't have a problem with having winter tyres fitted as there are real benefits to having them, but I think if I get some I will have to fit them to my original alloys as I dont like the thought of paying all that money for a great looking Yeti then spoiling it for several months a year by putting little steel wheels on that in my opinion look pretty dreadful. I realize a set of 17" tyres will be more than 16" but I figure I will save money by not forking out for a set of steels or cheap alloys.

Plus the twice yearly cost of taking the rubber off your wheels and putting it on the other set - every single year??!  And you'd really rather do that to you alloys than just get a second set? The fewer times a tyre fitter comes near my alloys the better I say.  Believe me you will not be saving money going this route.  Buy a second set of alloys if you must but to change the rubber on your one set is financial madness.

Johann is correct. I bought some alloys and winter tyres for about £700last year. Swap them over myself in 30 minutes.

I get alloys all year round and it costs no more as the summers will last that much longer.