Blackvue Drive Recorders - NOW CLOSED!

BossFox

Do you have any update on when these units are due to arrive? When do you want us to pay the balance?

Also has anyone done any installation guides - ideally for an Octavia. I'm guessing you run the cable along the top of the windscreen and then down the A pillar. I guess a bit of searching on here will show me how to remove the A pillar trim. From there I'll probably go into the fuse box area - I've already got a cig lighter socket in there to power my sat nav so a double cig socket adaptor might be the best bet if there is room.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are due in about 10 days.

Once I know they're on the way I'll send out the PMs for the balance of the money.

My original estimate was two to three weeks from the 5th, so that's not far out.

Also has anyone done any installation guides - ideally for an Octavia. I'm guessing you run the cable along the top of the windscreen and then down the A pillar. I guess a bit of searching on here will show me how to remove the A pillar trim. From there I'll probably go into the fuse box area

Careful removing the trim if you have airbags in there!

I intend to run mine the same route, I am hoping that the wire can be tucked behind the trim (door side) if I partially remove the door rubber :thumbup:

Thanks Jason,

Should be able to organise the rest by PM... but worth leaving it open just in case someone sends a PM and I don't see it.

I'll give you the nod once it's all sorted.

Update.

Units have arrived at the supplier.

I am compiling names/addresses for delivery/warranty info.

Expect delivery within 7 days.

Good timing, I have just wired an extra 12v socket in (behind fuse panel) ready for the DR to be hard wired in :thumbup:

:no:

Good timing, I have just wired an extra 12v socket in (behind fuse panel) ready for the DR to be hard wired in :thumbup:

I've got one behind my fuses too for my scooper so I might just buy a multisocket thing for this.

Richard,

Do you know if there a way to turn off sound recording?

:no:

I've got one behind my fuses too for my scooper so I might just buy a multisocket thing for this.

Richard,

Do you know if there a way to turn off sound recording?

I have a 12v cig socket already behind my fuse box for my TomTom so I ordered one of these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-10A-Double-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adaptor-/260621940166#ht_893wt_922

I liked the fact that each socket has a separate lead which should make it easier to squeeze everything in.

I have a 12v cig socket already behind my fuse box for my TomTom so I ordered one of these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-10A-Double-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adaptor-/260621940166#ht_893wt_922

I liked the fact that each socket has a separate lead which should make it easier to squeeze everything in.

That's what I wanted, better than the ones I looked at in Halfords. Thanks.

Due to be despatched this afternoon or tomorrow morning by the supplier once the serial numbers have been logged for the warranty.

Expect them by Thursday.

Looking forward to arrival. emoticon-0148-yes.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Arrived at 0815 :o

And now it is all fitted (including hard wired so no cables are in sight)

I have yet to try it out on a drive but have tweeted the settings, currently I have set it on the lowest resolution (D1 720x480) @30fps and TBH it is still pretty good!

max resolution = approx 4.5hrs of recording compared to 17hrs on the lowest resolution.

EDIT: D1 is not clear enough to read a numberplate whilst driving, so I have now set it on:

HD (1280x720) @15fps to try. (= 11.5hrs)

Many thanks for organising the GB Richard. :thumbup:

Arrived at 0815 :oAnd now it is all fitted (including hard wired so no cables are in sight)I have yet to try it out on a drive but have tweeted the settings, currently I have set it on the lowest resolution (D1 720x480) @30fps and TBH it is still pretty good! max resolution = approx 4.5hrs of recording compared to 17hrs on the lowest resolution.EDIT: D1 is not clear enough to read a numberplate whilst driving, so I have now set it on:HD (1280x720) @15fps to try. (= 11.5hrs)Many thanks for organising the GB Richard. :thumbup:

Was it tough to hardwire in? :) What did you use for the power source - guess a switched live.

Pretty easy TBH, the hardest part was running the cable behind the headlining (it wouldn't just push up by the windscreen) I wired it in permanently live for the moment - it will be easy enough to change the fuse over to an ignition fed one if it causes too much battery drain.

The main reason why I did it permanently is because I have an ex who is a "crazy bitch from hell" and has previously vandalized SWMBO's car and she cannot be trusted.

To power and run the cable I did the following:

First I bought a female power socket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290658089221

and a fuse tap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250861927244

You need to cut the power socket cable in half and join the +'ve cable to one of the fuse taps and -'ve cable to a round eylet (I already had some of them):

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae496efef

Find the 12v socket fuse (25amp) in the fuse box and remove it, place fuse into the fuse tap along with a 3amp fuse - this 3amp fuse will be for the power socket. Earth the -'ve cable on one of the bolts by the fusebox.

To run the cables out of sight I went a little OTT as they would not just poke under the headlining so I removed the overhead light/glasses holder panel so I could run the cable.

Tape the plug of the Blackvue power cable to a length of stiff wire, then remove part of the door seal at the top so you can this poke the wire on top of the headlining where you wish the cable to run (start from the drivers door to the overhead light recess) when the cable has come out of the roof lining remove the cable from the stiff wire and pull the stiff wire out, then do the same again going from the overhead light recess forwards to the windscreen.

Sounds "easy" enough :D I might do some prep work this weekend, as I have a crimping set in the shed. Might be able to pre-sort the wiring for the Blackvue, and some other bits in advance. :thumbup: Do you think one of the other fuses in the fusebox, other than the one for the 12V ciggie lighter will be switched? eg: Fuse 68 is a 25amp fuse for the air blower, so that should be a switched live as the air blower only works with the ignition on? :) Also, in the fabia, the ciggie lighter fuse is only 15A, so in theory could use a 15A switched one, not a 25? :)