98 RON Fuel

jonny boy

My 10yr old MKI Fabia has a sticker like that in the petrol cap and I have to make a 32mile round trip to the Shell garage!

I had to use 95ron for the first couple of years as 97ron was the highest you could get in the UK at the time, and I at least a 100+mile round trip to get that. Then the old Shell garage reopened and did Vpower!

When I got my car 10yrs ago, I did raise the "what is the diffrence etc between 98/95ron" question with the dealer and Skoda UK......they both said it will run ok on 95ron but it was made to get the quoted figures on 98ron...so a drop of around 5% from the quoted figures if you use 95ron.

Fast forward 10 years and alot of the MKI Fabias with the 1.4 16v 100bhp AUB engine that were just run on 95ron & not driven properly now suffure from bad running, poor fuel consumtion, low on power, etc, etc.

So far mine still pulls like a train (as much as a 1.4lt can!), revs up to headbutt the redline, and is sweet and very responsive.......it ONLY gets 98ron Shell Vpower, Mobil 1 oil, NGK Iridium spark plugs etc, etc.

Oh and EVO mag has done a few longish term testing runs trying out all the different fuels etc using a golf and a BMW and they did Dyno runs etc........the graphs proved the difference between the fuels....and it is worth it.....If I had a 1.4TSI engine it would only run on 98ron for the long term health of the engine!!!!!!.. B)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that video say's it all, if you have a car geared for economy then run it on anything, but if you have a car which is performance based then it will appreciate and perform at it's best with a better grade of fuel.

As was mentioned in the video above, cars sold in the UK must be able to run on standard 95RON fuel and they can, but to get the claimed performance figures use the good stuff.

Finally if at the end of the day you choose to run your car on 95, 97, 98 or 99RON fuel it remains your choice, but i prefer to run mine on what the engineers, tuners and developers intended it to run on 98RON.

I can only compare it to Carlsberg and Carlsberg export, they will both get you ****ed but i have to drink more of the regular Carlsberg to achieve the same level of drunkeness as the export and i have less of a hangover on the export too, but some lesser humans will be unable to tell the difference, but my body was designed to have the good stuff from day one, though it can adapt itself to the regular stuff if needed.

hehehehe :p

My wife uses 95 in hers ..Couldnt see any difference when I once put a tank of 98 in

You need to run the tank almost dry then fill up with 98ron....repeat a further 2 times.......then you will notice the difference as the fuel system needs to get all the 95ron flushed out and the ECU needs to re-adjust back to the proper grade of fuel.......I would go as far as doing the ECU reset (disconnect the battery for 40mins, reconect and start car and let idle for 30mins and don't touch any pedals!)..to wipe all the learned values and let it relearn on the 98ron fuel!... B)

You need to run the tank almost dry then fill up with 98ron....repeat a further 2 times.......then you will notice the difference as the fuel system needs to get all the 95ron flushed out and the ECU needs to re-adjust back to the proper grade of fuel.......I would go as far as doing the ECU reset (disconnect the battery for 40mins, reconect and start car and let idle for 30mins and don't touch any pedals!)..to wipe all the learned values and let it relearn on the 98ron fuel!... B)

Why go to all this trouble when, IMO, the car runs perfectly well on 95??

Why go to all this trouble when, IMO, the car runs perfectly well on 95??

because there led to believe they get more power, maybe in a fast car as the video shows its possible but with the gti it only gained 3bhp more? not worth the extra £££ imho

if you can't buy the same 98 everywhere it seems pointless when they say you have to either reset the ecu or 2 to 3 tanks fulls to appreciate that extra 3 horses :wonder:

bp one fill, vpower the next the bloody ecu will be doing somersaults :rofl:

the cleaner engine side of things could be something to consider but after what mileage are we talking about and how long does one keep a car to notice such wear and tear

i guess its never going to be clear as mud either way and people will buy what they want, ill try it next year but im very skeptical about any gains that id notice other than in my pocket and thats got enough holes in it already

Petrol prices are far too expensive anyway, I remember filling up my Ibiza PD130 for £35 and thinking that was ok :) I used to drive around alot more too - picking up wheels, visiting mates etc - now I do none of that! The occasional spirited drive when the misses isn't in the car otherwise going to work :thumbup:

£5 more for V-Power for me is nothing as I don't do many miles - for others though it can mean £250+ a year more I guess!

The only time I put 95 Ron in mine it misfired like a pig for a week, the handbook and fuel filler cap says use 97+ so use 97+

if you look at the photo i showed on page one of this thread it states 98/95 so are you saying yours says different? what age vrs is yours then? mine was put on the road late sep this year

if you look at the photo i showed on page one of this thread it states 98/95 so are you saying yours says different? what age vrs is yours then? mine was put on the road late sep this year

Ours says 98/95 on the iside of the filler flap too

I have already posted that we always use 95

No misfiring or rough idling or any noticable difference

Except ...more money in the wallet :thumbup:

right... the pic... UK cars have to be allowed to use 95, so 95 is written on there... once.

98 is in BIG type, and all the way down the right hand side in several different languages it says "Super Unleaded" its says it over about 95% of the filler cap... message there?

:p

Exactly. For the sake of a few quid a tank it's well worth it. Mine is even noticeably better on fuel so the extra cost is marginal. You spend all that money on a performance car then be tight and put below par fuel in. You pay your money and you takes your choice but I will never willingly run my car on 95 again unless I was in the middle of nowhere and it was just to get me to the next place that sold it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/222948-proof-that-99-ron-massively-outperforms-95-ron/

Exactly. For the sake of a few quid a tank it's well worth it. Mine is even noticeably better on fuel so the extra cost is marginal. You spend all that money on a performance car then be tight and put below par fuel in. You pay your money and you takes your choice but I will never willingly run my car on 95 again unless I was in the middle of nowhere and it was just to get me to the next place that sold it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/222948-proof-that-99-ron-massively-outperforms-95-ron/

Post #5 shows that the 2-3mpg improvement saves £27 per year in comparison to using the 'cheaper' 95 ron fuels. Thats based on filling 4 tanks per month.

Post #5 shows that the 2-3mpg improvement saves £27 per year in comparison to using the 'cheaper' 95 ron fuels. Thats based on filling 4 tanks per month.

thats me out then 3 - 4 tanks a month wipe that saving out

i do wish people would stop calling it a performance car, it ISNT. its nippy and its CHEAP

compare it to a 1.6 focus and youll see its CHEAP

enjoy what you have, its cheap, nippy, and regardless of fuel used, its quite economical