98 RON Fuel

jonny boy

Is it vital to use 98 (or High Octane) fuels for the 1.4TSi ?

If it were that vital, surely the dealer would mention it and the brochure would at least print it ?

It's OK if you live in the populous, but in the countryside, high octane fuels are few and VERY far between :dull:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been covered loads of times dude have a search. Me personally it is a must. Only shell vpower for me. The one time i had to put some 97 ron fuel in the car was pants to drive. Felt gutless.

Its on the inside of the petrol cap to use 97 +

No its not vital at all, if you run 98ron you'll usually get better economy and perhaps slightly more power. However running 95ron will be fine, and you'll get the published power and MPG figures since this is done on 95ron. A remapped car will usually run a lot better on 98ron, especially is the map is designed for it but for a standard car it does not usually matter.

Been covered loads of times dude have a search. Me personally it is a must. Only shell vpower for me. The one time i had to put some 97 ron fuel in the car was pants to drive. Felt gutless.

Its on the inside of the petrol cap to use 97 +

That's because the ECU will notice a drop in ron value and takes a while to adjust. EG - if you fill a car up with 95 from day one it'll know no different. If you fill up with 98 from new then put a 95 in every now and then it'll run poo, and vice versus. You need a minimum of 2 tanks of 98 to notice a difference.

I however, filled up with V-Power from day one, and will continue to do so.

From day one I filled up with 98 Ron.

A few months ago I was on a long journey and was unable to obtain 98 Ron so I filled up with 95 Ron.

I noticed no difference in the cars performance or acceleration so I have continued to use 95 Ron.

Perhaps if you are thrashing your car round a track then you would notice a difference.

Seems like some split views here.

Maybe it is more vital with a remap, but my real issue was the fact that getting high octane fuel for me means a 30 mile round trip. OK I'm lazy :wonder:

I've run Vpower from Day one and ever after used 95 once or twice when no choice but tried to mix it at half a tank rather than dumping in a full tank. The car picked up a few Missfires about in line with the one and only time it had more than 3/4 of a tank of 95 in it. Once it had backed off (the timing, I think) it appeared to go away.

The Car can adapt but I don't get it in a way you buy a fast car then cut corners on fuel tyres etc its never going to be 100% happy. Fast cars are like fast women they cost a lot off money to keep happy accept this as you can't change it.

I put 98+ RON fuel in my vRS as it is what the info panel inside the fuel cover asks for.

I use VPower and have on all my quick cars as it is proven to be a better grade of fuel.

Jonny Boy, i would definitely use 98+ as you have had the REVO remap mate.

its been covered before but...

the engine has been DESIGNED to run on 98+ RON fuel, if you put 95 in (and yes, you can run 95 without any issue at all) it will detect it, and as the manual says will HAVE to retard the ignition to prevent detonation (damage) resulting in lower power torque and fuel economy ....

I put 98+ RON fuel in my vRS as it is what the info panel inside the fuel cover asks for.

I use VPower and have on all my quick cars as it is proven to be a better grade of fuel.

Jonny Boy, i would definitely use 98+ as you have had the REVO remap mate.

Yes I will.

There is a BP garage nearby with BP Ultimate, so that should do.

I've never driven a tuned petrol for a LONG time now, so that's the reason for the slight ignorance.

Many thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

Tesco 99 for me. Works great.

Tesco 99 for me too.. Mainly because Tesco fuel is about a mile from my house..it's a company car.. and clubcard points :D

I've put 95 ron in fairly often and not noticed the difference..maybe I'm just insensitive :giggle:

only ever used 95 (says that on the fuel flap too) and i have better mpg than many fuelly's on here and i dont drive like a fanny

i dont believe all the hype, sorry but Ferrari tested an f1 on 98 and race fuel and found no difference so i see that as the same 95 vrs 98

i guess if you want to pay more thats your choice, me i wont be

and to call this a fast car isnt quite true, its nippy but not fast, now an m3 thats fast

only ever used 95 (says that on the fuel flap too) and i have better mpg than many fuelly's on here and i dont drive like a fanny

i dont believe all the hype, sorry but Ferrari SHELL tested an f1 on 98 and race fuel and found no difference so i see that as the same 95 vrs 98

and to call this a fast car isnt quite true, its nippy but not fast, now an m3 thats fast

Shell did the test which is basically a sales pitch.

I don't think std it matters hugely but when mapped you run higher ignition advance timing so 95 ron is a no no, otherwise your car will be retardibg the timing alot.

Mine on 95 runs very rough.

FWIW mine says 98 ron on the fuel cap.

Only used V Power from day one until recently when i have used BP ultimate (97), Esso (97) and low and behold Tesco 95 as i just couldn't get to Mr Shell. The car seemed more inclined to downshift under load and worst of all a i noticed a drop in fuel consumption. back to V Power now and fuel economy seems to have returned and not so inclined to downshift.

As said by others though, this has been done to death elsewhwere.

Usually do use shell V power, but i live in a rural area and the TOTAL station down the road only does 95, so if i have to use it i can honestly say iv never noticed any difference in performance, slight drop in MPG though, however if u used 95 supermarket fuels i dare say there'd b more of a difference!

im assuming all caps have this

IMG_1348.jpg

yes the 98 is bigger but according to the manual the only downside to using 95 is a slight drop in performance so even if this was 10%, which id doubt, would i notice?

i agree if its tuned you should use the fuel it was tuned for but thats it

and for the record ive only used Asda fuel in this. im not doubting better performance, even fuel economy with 98 but not to the extent id think id won the lottery

anyways you all seem to swear by shell and the nearest one to me is 30 miles away so i guess im screwed :giggle:

i dont believe all the hype, sorry but Ferrari tested an f1 on 98 and race fuel and found no difference so i see that as the same 95 vrs 98

All right, it's not the fastest thing on the road, but I think the performance goes a bit beyond 'nippy'.

To me a 'nippy car' is something like an Ignis Sport, Fiesta Zetec S, or Yaris T-Sport. 'Nippy' puts me in mind of something light that's good about town. I'd put the vRS in the fast-ish category.

Back on topic I've used V-Power (and its predecessor) since 2005 (in both diesel and petrol forms) - like my cars to get the best - don't trust Tesco after their contamination incident.

Edited by Wee Bri

All right, it's not the fastest thing on the road, but I think the performance goes a bit beyond 'nippy'.

To me a 'nippy car' is something like an Ignis Sport, Fiesta Zetec S, or Yaris T-Sport. 'Nippy' puts me in mind of something light that's good about town. I'd put the vRS in the fast-ish category.

Back on topic I've used V-Power (and its predecessor) since 2005 (in both diesel and petrol forms) - like my cars to get the best - don't trust Tesco after their contamination incident.

Its nippy as stock. Quick when stage 1, and once fully modified its fast but not before

A bit of useful information... but the tuning company Courtney conducted the first live test on these high performance fuels using the same car and measuring the performance gained with these fuels:

Tesco Momentum 99....Shell V power....BP Ultimate

If you look on Google you'll find it but they posted the gains online on a dyno graph and you'll be shocked to know that Tesco momentum 99 had the best power gain by quiet a gap then shell v-power then bp ultimate with not much gap between the two

Turns out Tesco spent quiet alot of moeny reasearching there Petrol and rumour is they worked alongside BP to help develop it..

Have a look for yourself :)

Its nippy as stock. Quick when stage 1, and once fully modified its fast but not before

I said fast-ish!

I think 'nippy' is inappropriate - conjures up images of 1.4 Pumas and Tigras.

I have a 18 mile round trip to my nearest V Power pump, whereas I have a local Tesco, which until now haven't used. Starting to think that over my 300 miles or so to a tank, my MPG won't drop that much if I try something else like Tesco 99, especially given the initial 18 mile trip