• Shell Normal
    • Shell V-Power
    • BP Normal
    • BP Ultimate
    • Tesco/Sainsburys/ASDA/Morrisons
    • Texaco
    • Total
    • Other

So, as a few of you guys have read in the MK2 section, there is "The Great Fuel Debate" raging, I`m sure its been done before, but thought i`d see who uses what.

Personally from what I have read in the past, diesel fuel is more about cleaning the engine & smoke reduction than extra power, but I havent read that much on it. I did use V-Power until I recently had a bit of a bust up with the local shell garage so are now kinda boycotting them. :rofl: So at the moment I`m using BP, normally I use ultimate, but past few fill`s have been with normal stuff. Not noticed a massive difference with either, but I am going to run both for a few tanks in the summer and see if either makes a difference. Dont tend to use Supermarket fuel any more, noticed when I started using shell that it smoked a little less but that was back on the stage one map.

Sooo people, experiences? Opinions? Share as you wish . .

Still torn whether to use Shell V-power or BP Ultimate or just carry on using Sainsburys.

Tried using BP ultimate for a couple of tanks, but not certain if made any difference or not. But at 12p per litre more it makes it extremely expensive to fill up when you need at least one tank per week!

Shell with a dose of Millers, normally from the same fuel station in my home town. I occasionally use VPD.

PS. The poll should have been multi-choice as a lot of people use more than one brand. However my records say that of 21 fills, only 3 have not been Shell.

Tend to just use Sainsburys as it's the cheapest and it's just round the corner from home!

Fill her up and shot in some Millers every other fill up!

This, although in my case its usually Tesco, usually only £25 to £30 at a time. and the shot of Millers tends to be "more than needed" :D

Normal ASDA fuel.

Used to use V-Power/Ulitmate etc in the GTi during the summer when I was working, but since going back to uni I've stayed on the cheapest fuel. It did run better with the posher fuels though.

Using ASDA desial in the Golf currently, but it's not running well, so will try V-Power or something, and see if it cures it.

POLL REPLY - "THE CHEAPEST DIESEL " -why - because Furby is an Aberdonian -she loves the cheap stuff. Tried the dear stuff - no difference ,but give the old gal some cheap stuff and she loves it -more power ,more MPG -more etc .

i used shell v power diesel everytime. engine quieter and smoother, less smoke, more miles out of a tank so paid for its self over the regular diesel. also racked in the v-power points on my shell card so got more money off vounchers aswell all round win tbh

I use bp ultimate personally, I seen this vid a while back and was lucky to find it again, I don't know why I can't seem to find it most of the time lol anyway.... See below

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9011889&contentId=7022591

Please confirm that you can see the vid on the bottom of the page? Phone refuses to show it up just shows a big box for a video lol

I use bp ultimate personally, I seen this vid a while back and was lucky to find it again, I don't know why I can't seem to find it most of the time lol anyway.... See below

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9011889&contentId=7022591

Please confirm that you can see the vid on the bottom of the page? Phone refuses to show it up just shows a big box for a video lol

I've just watched that vid. What they don't say is its compared to BP ordinary diesel or dirt cheap diesel no little additives. Probably the later

Work this one out:

This an email replay to a SCM member from Shell

For Fuelsave diesel Cetane is guaranteed 51 typically 55-58

For V-power diesel Cetane is guaranteed 51 typically 53-55;

The benefits of V-power are not derived from the cetane rating.

Regards,

Rob."

Seat Cupra.net - Shell FuelSave Diesel - Page 3

Ordinary Shell has a higher cetane rating than V-power.

Edited by Jim H

i used shell v power diesel everytime. engine quieter and smoother, less smoke, more miles out of a tank so paid for its self over the regular diesel. also racked in the v-power points on my shell card so got more money off vounchers aswell all round win tbh

This.

It's about 5% more expensive than the standard, so if you get slightly better economy, that can mostly offset it. A Shell points card can be gotten to give you money off vouchers, and V-Power gives double points, so doesn't work out too bad in the long run. You also know you're (hopefully) putting the best thing in your engine which is going to keep it running nicely.

Doesn't that number work in reverse to RON in petrol though?

A lower number is actually a better quality fuel?

No, they are the opposite, but in both cases, normally the higher the number the better, so:

Cetane = how quickly it goes bang from when its injected

Octane = how resistant it is to going bang

High Cetane is good for diesel as it burns more thoroughly. High octane is good for petrol as its reduces pre-ignition and knocking, a smoother burn rather than a bang!

Edited by Jim H

Around here Shell is always the same or sometimes 1p cheaper than Tesco. I don't bother looking at the other supermarkets as they are out of my way.

Perhaps it's just a placebo, but the car definitely runs better on Shell than anything else, and since Shell is on the way to work, I fill up there pretty much every time.