The most unreliable car you've owned?

lordrobs

Very few of my cars actually broke down ie definitely stopped on me.Suppose my Ford Popular 100E did when the started motor failed. But many simply wore bits out expensively. I'd need therapy if I recalled the A-Z of all the faults on my Minis, Maxi and Marina. Let's just say they were rolling workshop practice courses.

hi 4 what its worth,most unreliable cars ive had,citroen zsara,all electricail probs,car opened ,and closed when it wanted,also,had a crap time with a renault laguna,alarm ,electrical glitches,and same with 2 renault nines,aloso had the misfortune to call the a.a. out 5 times in 4 weeks with a 1995 mercedes c200 ,everything went wrong with it,,,,,best car ive owned,a 00 felicia estate,107 miles ,and still going strong,all it cost me weas a e50 alternator.

Most unreliable?

That might have to be the current car, a second hand, 52 plate Audi A4 TDI, with FSH.

it's one month into my ownership, and have had problems since the end of week 1. So far it's spent 13 our of the last 24 days in the dealership.

1 - Temp gauge not working. ABS/Traction/Glow Plugs lights on - New thermostat and new brake light switch.

2 - Temp gauge STILL Not working - New water pump. But still no flow, so new temp dual sensor.

The above "fixes" took 3 and 6 days respectively, with no loan vehicle. dealership gets paid, I get stiffed in every direction.....not happy.

3 - Wiper linkage now seizing. dealership claim it's not covered by warranty, as it's not the actual motor and they can't look at it for a week, or supply loan car for two weeks. Going elsewhere for fix at my expense, by tuesday, with a loan car.

well that would be this current 2001 fabia 1.4 comfort 8v mpi estate ,the usual things random power steering issues seems to like to go into limp mode when i venture onto a roundabout (i dont laugh) has a fairly new 60 ah battery son in law works for vindis been on there brand new diagnostic machine and zip nada nothing ? will think about firebombing the lump of ****e as that makes me smile as soon as problem is sorted it will be sold on and never will i buy another skoda. :giggle:

• 1 month later...

2011 (61) SKODA FABIA MK2 VRS<br />-New Ipod Cable<br />-New Engine<br />- 2x New Turbo<br />-New Fuel Pump<br />-New Brake Light sensor<br />-Wiring loom Issues<br />-Rattles<br />40+ days without the car.<br />5litres of oil used while owning the car.<br />Total of 332miles going backwards an forwards to the dealership.<br /><br />Safe to say after 7months and 10000miles i dont own this car anymore.

Edited by Rob-vrs21

I must be the luckiest son of a gun on this forum.....

Car 1 - Renault 5 1.1 ltr - No issues except i wrote it off.

Car 2 - Renault 5 1.4 ltr - As above. Yes that includes writing it off.

Car 3 - Ford Escourt 1.1 - Pretty releiable, rear shocks nedded replacing but then that is a wear and tear item. My cousin got if when i was finished with it. The underside of the car later corroded so badly that basically the bottom of the car fell off.

The above cars were quite old when i got them so in fairness not too bad.

Car 4 - Renault clio 1.4 RT - Great car. Ran this for years and years. Apart from usual crash damage, yes my fault again but i was young. Did need suspension bushes changed but then that is wear and tear.

Car 5 - 1st brand new car - Seat Ibiza Cupra 2.0 ltr - Never kept this that long as i then got on the company car alloawance scheme and traded it in. No problems though and amazingly i never crashed it.

Car 6 - W reg VW Golf TDI 115bhp, brand new - Amazing car. Again traded this in quite quickly but never had a single fault.

Car 7 - X reg Audi S3 - Best car i have ever owned. Why did i sell it. Absolutely faultless and drove like a dream. Maybe only had it for 1.5 years though. I never keep cars for long.

Car 8 - 52 plate Audi A4 2.5 TDI Quattro tiptronic - Ran this for under 2 years i think. Re-mapped this to 220bhp, Needed new steering rack that got done under warranty. No other faults.

Car 9 - Subaru WRX Blob eye - Had this mapped and again only ran it for under 2 years. Got new rear shock and 4 new alloys changed under warranty without even asking. just went in for service and the ordered the parts without even telling me. Now thats service. Alloys were only corroded slightly but they didnt even flinch just told me when i collected car that they would call when new alloys arrived. Amazing. Only fault with car was occasionaly power dropped off but tis only started after re-map.

Car 10 - 04 BMW 330d Se touring manual - Bought it with 104,000 miles on the clock. After about 1.5 years the rediator developed a slight leak. This was easily and cheaply sorted but i then sold it. Great car but hated the BMW manual gearshift.

Car 11 - 56 plate VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI DSG - Ran this for under 2 years. No faults what so ever. Sold it as i thought it was causing me a sore back, probably just wanted to change as i was bored knowing me.

Car 12 - 58 plate BMW 320d touring auto M sport, re-mapped this to 210bhp, - Faultless car. Ran this for just over 2 and a half years.

Car 13 - Current VRS, all good so far.

I have ran other cars i.e Mitsubishi Shogun but this was predominatntly the other halfs car. It was an 07 bought brand new. Engine fault light came on a couple of times. Mitsubishi sorted this under warranty though and the problem never returned. The thing ate pads and discs though, was horrendous for this. Also had more rattles and squeaks of any car i have ever been in. Agricultural car at best not suited to daily driving. MPG was comical also.

All in all ive been pretty lucky i would say. Got the bad driving out of my system at an early age as you do. Fingers crossed the Skoda serves me well as i will probably have to keep this car for longer than i ever have before due to wee addition to the family. If its reliable i will probably get another skoda as it is by far the best value purchase i have ever made when it comed to cars. Skoda - its yours to lose as they say.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

Guess I've been let off pretty lightly so far.

Car 1 - 1987 Orion 1.4 - Family car owned from new to the day we scrapped it no major issues.

Car 2 - 1995 Corsa 1.2 - No issues except from wear and tear (and me driving into bollards!)

Car 3 - 2001 Corsa SXI - No major issues. Had a gear linkage fail on me but that's about it, pulling onto motorway island in forth was 'interesting'!

Car 4 - 2001 Audi A2 SE - Worst car. Only kept for 9 months - major issues with front wheel hubs and ABS. Many times back to Audi. Lost confidence in the car, and a lot of money!

Car 5 - 2002 Focus Ghia - Nice car to drive but thirsty and issues with alternator

Car 6 - 2006 Fabia Tdi - Best car to date, only the usual leaky doors, quick easy DIY fix, in 3 years of ownership and 25k.

Currently looking at what to replace Fabia with as need more space. Was tempted by C3 Picasso but still really want to stick with Skoda. Octavia Estate or Yeti maybe?

Hmmm, none, I've only ever had skodas. Worst I've had has been a blown tail light bulb and a flat tyre. Oh I tell a lie, my yeti sunroof leaked but they fitted a whole new interior inside a week.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Doing about 25k miles per year in a number of cars, but mostly in the main one that's currently a Yeti, I've not had any major issues.

Other than my first true breakdown in years, which happened two weeks ago in my 1934 Morris 10/4.

So technically that's the most unreliable car I've got as it does low miles and also let me down.

But it is 78 years old.

• Like 3

@Jonnobris-go for Superb SE Estate:)

My worst car was Audi A3 bought new in '99. Audi "engineers" had no clue what was wrong, went through 4 gearboxes and 3 clutches when I said enough and took it to a former VW employee mechanic gone independent who diagnosed it as faulty half axle and that fixed it straight away lol. Needless to say I flogged it straight away and never looked back :). Now I have 520d and I really do not like it as I feel like a small soap in a big soap dish driving it-zero feedback, steering does what it wants and when you corner and there is a crack or bump in the road car does most amazing things-feels like sudden all four wheel side slide lol. Not to mention pathetic mpg, super expensive servicing and high insurance (paid £500 for break pads as missus insisted it has to be done at main dealers!) I want to sell it and buy Superb Estate !

A '52 plate Fabia 1.9 TDi Elegance. Bought high mileage, second hand and clearly not been looked after by previous owner. Nothing major, just a turbo pipe popping off causing it to run like a bag of nails, and the water pump dying causing it to overheat on the way to work.

Not too bad having only had 4 Skodas and 1 VW in my life, and that was the oldest/highest mileage of the lot.

Worst car ive ever owned was a 2006 Toyota Avensis 2.2 D4D ....at 50,000 needed injectors .. at 56,000 needed a head gasket replacement ... at 80.000 need s new starter ,, then developed an intermittent fault were it struggled to start changed all glow plugs at 100,00.. then the head gasket went again at 150,000!!! broke my heart ,,, sat in the driveway for months and was still paying HP on it ... they have stoped making the 2.2 now as there was an epedmic of head gasket failures .. Toyota built the 2.,2 in Poland ..........scrapped it and got 1500 for it ...paid of the finance and bought an old E300 TD Merc .... ran it on heating oil ... great car to drive ... automatic.... have since owned .. a 406 ...2 Audi a4 1.9 TDI and now thie Superb 104 bhp PD engine ... most relaiable car was the 99 Audi .... bullet proof engine ... thinking my next car will either be a 2.7 Audi A6 ..or another Superb ... few little faults with this but its a 2004 and parts are cheap enough to source ....