LEGO, are you ever too old?

Tech1e

we found that with a lego set we got as part of a "mixed bundle" from a charity shop recently where the set was from about 20 years ago

found the instructions on line - you have to play spot the difference to know what bits to add on and where, whereas modern instructions tell you at each stage what bits you need, and even give you helpful tips like you have to turn over to fit, or build in a certain spot.

put another way - it made you actually think about how and what you had to do, rather than just do...

put another way - it made you actually think about how and what you had to do, rather than just do...

yep - she's great at following the new instructions but less so just making stuff up,,,

City Police Patrol Boat 60129 £17.99 delivered this weekend only when you use code TOY5 at checkout. That's 49% off list.

http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/lego-bricks/c-768/lego-city/p-16141/lego-city-police-patrol-boat-60129/

Details of the discount code / voucher if you want to use it with different sets:

http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/page/o/lego-offer/?siteID=svunC25memk-w8ueyHRRsqYEzvNOAWeOSg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Lego patents seem to have expired, there are now several new versions appearing on the market, one being made just down the road from the real thing.

I picked up some of the new stuff last month, and for a third of the Lego price, I got a box of bricks that are indistinguishable from the real thing (other than the missing "LEGO" logo on the bricks), and came in a proper storage box (not that cardboard tat).

LEGO itself, seems to be turning into a "poor mans Airfix", with all these "one model" kits.

(sorry to rain on your parade)

• Like 1

The Lego patents seem to have expired, there are now several new versions appearing on the market, one being made just down the road from the real thing.

I picked up some of the new stuff last month, and for a third of the Lego price, I got a box of bricks that are indistinguishable from the real thing (other than the missing "LEGO" logo on the bricks), and came in a proper storage box (not that cardboard tat).

LEGO itself, seems to be turning into a "poor mans Airfix", with all these "one model" kits.

(sorry to rain on your parade)

Such a shame really, they've become very popular and have done very well playing on the older generations nostalgia: I'm 30 in February and I even bought myself a lego Wall-E about a year ago :D  I'm far too old and don't even have kids I can 'use' as an excuse!

I do keep an eye out on HUKD now and again for Lego discounts but they're like Apple where there's their fixed price and that's it, most of the time...

I'm 34. Wife still finds it funny when I play with the girls Lego sets after they have gone to bed. Although my main love was the mechano kits

Edited by Mikek3111

Such a shame really, they've become very popular and have done very well playing on the older generations nostalgia: I'm 30 in February and I even bought myself a lego Wall-E about a year ago :D  I'm far too old and don't even have kids I can 'use' as an excuse!

I do keep an eye out on HUKD now and again for Lego discounts but they're like Apple where there's their fixed price and that's it, most of the time...

Out of patent doesnt mean they will stop making the stuff, just that other people can now copy the exact design; I expect LEGO will have to lower their prices as the competition picks up.

Out of patent doesnt mean they will stop making the stuff, just that other people can now copy the exact design; I expect LEGO will have to lower their prices as the competition picks up.

They've been able to legally copy parts for a few years now. Bootlegging entire sets like Lepin do is still illegal but the Chinese seen to think they can do what they want.

I hadnt come across Lepin before; they even use similar font and colours as the LEGO originals.

Just to set things straight, I dont buy LEGO as an investment, I buy LEGO for children to play with; and modern LEGO sets are getting further and further away from the ideals behind the original concept; I have bought the new QBricks because they match the old original "universal" brick kits - no stupid weird parts that can only be used to make one model.

As I said before, LEGO is turning into one of those nasty Airfix clip together model kits, they brought out before going titsup from lack of investment.

Whether limited or not I dont know,but it is the latest Technic one.

It is a pity though, that it has no electric motor to show how the gearbox works.

Edited by magic62

Whether limited or not I dont know,but it is the latest Technic one.

It is a pity though, that it has no electric motor to show how the gearbox works.

Is it possible to fit a motor, that just isnt supplied with it?? It looks fantastic :)