vRS mpg problems

Hi,

I have just purchased an 06 octavia vrs (petrol), it has full Skoda sevice and only 44k on it.

I am loving the car but I was expecting to get around 25/30mpg in town if driving slow but i am struggling to get much over 20mpg.

Is this normal for the vrs or would anyone advise i take it back to skoda for checks?

Thanks,

Mark.

I am getting about 20mpg doing town driving and about 30+mpg on the motorway. Plus also remember when the outside temperature is cold it will use more fuel than normal.

I am getting about 20mpg doing town driving and about 30+mpg on the motorway. Plus also remember when the outside temperature is cold it will use more fuel than normal.

Mine is also an 06 vrs and I get on avg 29-32 mpg. Mix of all kinds of driving. Dual carriage and town mostly. If I go on a 50+ mike journey (motorway or A road) I average about 35-36.

Also worth mentioning fuel (and outside temp) can have an impact, I get better mpg using shell vpower or sainsburys Super (which surprised me as that's only 97ron) but prefer shell.

Mine is also an 06 vrs and I get on avg 29-32 mpg. Mix of all kinds of driving. Dual carriage and town mostly. If I go on a 50+ mike journey (motorway or A road) I average about 35-36.

Also worth mentioning fuel (and outside temp) can have an impact, I get better mpg using shell vpower or sainsburys Super (which surprised me as that's only 97ron) but prefer shell.

Around the doors i get about 28-30mpg, motorway upto 40mpg, city centre driving say in glasgow can see it as low as 19mpg!!

And that 19mpg in the city is with driving slow?

I am getting about 20mpg doing town driving and about 30+mpg on the motorway.

I get about the same as this and IMO this is realistic. I have got just over 35 on a long motorway run with a small amount of traffic and town driving.

Dont forget to factor in the difference between the on board computer figures and actual pump to pump figures.

My on board computer is pretty accurate at around 2-3mpg out but ive know of at least 2 people who have a difference of 7 :o

20 mpg around town ? To be honest from asking around i was under the impression it was nearer 25/26 around town and around 35/36 motorway, Was even getting around 24 around town in my Subaru impreza wrx and I thought that was bad !!!

Around the doors i get about 28-30mpg, motorway upto 40mpg, city centre driving say in glasgow can see it as low as 19mpg!!

Interesting as your figures certainly sound better than some off the rest I am hearing ! What do you mean around the doors 28/30 mpg as opposed to city centre driving at 19 mpg ?

Interesting as your figures certainly sound better than some off the rest I am hearing ! What do you mean around the doors 28/30 mpg as opposed to city centre driving at 19 mpg ?

well trips to the mother in laws is 3-4 miles from Grangemouth to bo'ness, wife to work is 2 miles and taking the dog for her long walk is about 3-4 mile's my impressions of "round the doors" lol

Glasgow and Edinburgh city centre is always jam packed so its constant stop start, stop start.

Perfect with you now !!

That highlights another factor when looking at real life mpg. What do people call "town driving"? I've had my mpg drop as low as 10-11 when sat in a traffic jam for a while with the aircon on full. It was one of those rare sunny days :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

My vRS 06 plate is doing an average of 17 mpg on short runs around town - runs that if the weather was warmer, I really *should* be walking! ;)

Does between high-20s and mid-30s once it's out on the dual carriageways, though.

I was expecting the same when I purchased my 06 vrs. But I struggle to get anything above 20mpg with town driving. Highest I've had on a motorway run was 35mpg.

My work is now only 4 miles from where I live and I normally get nothing more than 17mpg.

May have to venture back to a diesel again or a smaller engine petrol

I was expecting the same when I purchased my 06 vrs. But I struggle to get anything above 20mpg with town driving. Highest I've had on a motorway run was 35mpg.

My work is now only 4 miles from where I live and I normally get nothing more than 17mpg.

If work is only 4 miles away then petrol is fine. You purchased a 2.0l Turbo petrol with 200bhp, what did you expect? lol

4 miles on a cold engine ive seen lower mpg on my diesel recently at -20Deg C odd was fuming!

if it makes you feel any better my aunt has got 14mpg on her 1.8TSi a few time going to and back from work. Again under 4 miles all in traffic.

When I was using the seat Ibiza 1.4 mpi to work the best I could get over a tank would be 32mpg that was in the summer. Around town and low distance travelled is never going to return much.

I would track the fuel over the summer and see how it is then. Also I'd check the tyre pressures and try not to run the aircon/heating etc.

I've got 06 vRS petrol and i'm getting cracking Mpg my journey to work is approx 6 miles and in a morning i see very little traffic if i drive steady seen 34mpg if give it some beans down the slip road and down carriageway just before work when car is nice and warm drops to about 29mpg , the journey home is more congested in the afternoon and as dropped to about 26-28 mpg , it does mid to late 30's on a good run, always used shell v power in mine , my mate down road also got same car 06 petrol and he gets good mpg also , i also always use 6th gear when going downhill etc

If work is only 4 miles away then petrol is fine. You purchased a 2.0l Turbo petrol with 200bhp, what did you expect? lol

I expected a bit better with general town driving

I purchased the car before my work moved closer to home, so that was a bit of a shock at first.

Though can't complain as it is a lot better than my last car :)

Doing say 5 miles in town (obeying traffic lights and roundabout priorities and stop starting) I'm lucky to get 30mpg from my diesel. If you only do a low mileage, do your sums carefully before swapping to a diesel.