What have people chopped their VRS in for

Medium

I've got to admit, with the miles I do, I have always wondered about the dci version.

No issues with yours then Tas? The one I drove a couple of years back had a horrid sloppy gearbox. Would still be tempted to try another though. I like them.

Nothing at all. A popular mod on the meganesport.net forum is a short shift mod. I have carried out this mod and it's fantastic the gear change is immense. £60. Well worth it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True.

Only Renault I ever had experience of was a 2005 Megane and it was very cheap and nasty inside. Looked built to a budget price.

If the sport versions are made to better standards in a different factory that can only go in their favour.

Yes the RS brand is built in a factory in Dieppe. Mine hasnt developed any rattles or anything yet. The only one thing I HATE is the grey seat belts. Similiar to the grey seats in the VRS they get dirty easy.

Tuning wise they take well to Stage 1 and 2 but stage 3 needs forged parts.

Changed my vRS for a yeti 110 SE 4x4 purely because we live at the bottom of a steep hill and the only way out is up.

Snow is an issue.

Still have the vRS as SWMBO drives it so I an still have a play when the mood takes me.

Best of both worlds? Possibly :)

Guest BigJase88

Not true. The Renault sport brand was built in a different factory to all other renaults and it's common known that they aren't as bad as the standard renaults.

Have you ever had one? Too many people just listen to Internet stories

test drove one

and the manager of the local renault garage who i know told me to avoid them

T sport compressor is a good shout!! Awesome awesome cars

I work at a toyota garage we have replaced the exaust twice they rust like mad and are not cheap you could get a custom made one cheaper than a oe one was not imprest when i drove it there are a lot better than them out there .

Only thing that personally puts me off a mk5 gti is how common they are, don't get me wrong they are nice cars with a lot of potential but I'd prefer something a little different

I agree, which is why nothing on the list really appeals to me.

Personally it's got to be nippy and stealthy or something a bit unusual (not odd). TT, Focus ST, French thing etc... just don't appeal. (except maybe BMW)

In a similar position I would probably look for a decent 4 wheel drive Audi A3 diesel then tweak a bit. At least they are bland and stealthy, but nice overall.

Love it, handles a lot better than the MK1 due to the XDS (LSD) and lack of pig iron over the front wheels :rofl:

Nicer inside, faster, great noise. Fuel economy isn't that bad, it is about 10mpg or so less on similar driving routes to my MK1 vRS.

Looks are personal really, I love the estate but not so keen on the hatch, very practical having more space than a 3 series toruing.

Love it, handles a lot better than the MK1 due to the XDS (LSD) and lack of pig iron over the front wheels :rofl: Nicer inside, faster, great noise. Fuel economy isn't that bad, it is about 10mpg or so less on similar driving routes to my MK1 vRS. Looks are personal really, I love the estate but not so keen on the hatch, very practical having more space than a 3 series toruing.

I have to say I agree there.

The mkI hatch is quite nice looking, but the mkII looks far better as an estate rather than a hatch due to the higher roofline the mkII has.

As it came out about 8 or 9 years after the mkI it's bound to be better in terms of interior, handling etc...

You can't really compare them properly as they are different cars for different times. Warm hatch and hot hatch with DSG.

I ran some graphs on my Vbox using my mkI manual and the DSG-type car I own and you can see how much time you save in the 0-60mph sprint just with two manual gearchanges less. I'm still not convinced it's as fun (I like the raw mkI over the civilised mkII), but it saves you nearly a second. :)

I wasn't fond at the start but the mark 2 vRS has really grown on me.

It's probably what I'll end up with when I change cars next.

I'd quite like a black one with Monte grille and the darker headlights.

Not too keen on the wheels though...

I sold my mk1 fabia vrs and bought a mk5 golf gt sport tdi 140, wish i tried one out first though as i bought this over the phone, its a nice car, very plush and well built but the 2.0 common rail engine is not a patch on the 1.9 pd so ive just bought a mk4 ibiza fr tdi 3dr.

Guest BigJase88

I sold my mk1 fabia vrs and bought a mk5 golf gt sport tdi 140, wish i tried one out first though as i bought this over the phone, its a nice car, very plush and well built but the 2.0 common rail engine is not a patch on the 1.9 pd so ive just bought a mk4 ibiza fr tdi 3dr.

Should of went for the gt tsi 170!

Probably cheaper than what you paid but miles and miles superior!!

There is a high possibility I may be going French (I know, I know...), Had a go in a Megane 225 Cup and really liked it; had plenty of go at the right foot, and was happy as anything in 5th at 30, so economy might not be that bad; and they sound pretty epic.

Been offered £3k for the fabia on trade-in, which, while not as much as i'd want from a private sale, probably isn't that bad all things considered; 80k 54 plate with the usual signs of an eight-year-old car (unless anyone wants to offer £3.5 fairly sharpish...).

Sorry Jase, I do like the t-sports, but they need to be screaming to get the best out of them and I want something a bit more of an easy drive, I’ve got the Fiesta for a limiter hitting noise-fest, plus parts are pretty much impossible to come by easily – a friend just killed the clutch in his and its not been the easiest journey getting it sorted.