SAI Removal done - But....

Liam-6

Hi guys,

Done the SAI removal this weekend. Woop! Had to leave the bracket on tho as the allen bolts are in a crazy location.

Now, im running the standard air box, which has the SAI pipe hole which is currently taped off. What has everyone used to blank this off with? I hate the idea of unfiltered air getting to the turbo. I'm thinking some silicone hose with a blanking plate attached?

Used the car all weekend and not managed to get the engine management light on yet either which is a bonus!

I need to come up with something good for this too, as I want it to look as OE as possible.

I was thinking of using a couple of penny washers and a socket cap head bolt and nylock nut on the inside. Maybe some rubber discs under the washers (made from old inner tubes) to make sure it seals well. I'd probably Loctite the nut on too, just so I know it'll never come off. I think the trick would be to use a big enough nut/bolt combo so that if the nut did come free it could not even make it through the grille on the MAF housing.

I considered sealing a rubber bung in there with sealant, but if any tiny bits of sealant came free they could make it down to the turbo.

Another option I thought of was to get the top from an airbox that didn't have the SAI system.

what causes the light to come on tho?

I am thinking of this but what does it actually do? I dont have the loud noise on start tho and when the engine is out over the summer Ill be putting bolts thru the SAI anyway so it will never split.

Is it worth doing?

billy

what causes the light to come on tho?

I am thinking of this but what does it actually do? I dont have the loud noise on start tho and when the engine is out over the summer Ill be putting bolts thru the SAI anyway so it will never split.

Is it worth doing?

billy

It was worth me doing as my air pump was split at rivets and it's pointless after u decat cause it's purpose it to aid it the heating of the cat , just got shark to map mine out so the light won't come on rates than using a resistor

I've just pulled out the secondary air pump relay (J299) to shut the system down for now. Removing the relay breaks the circuit for the pump (V101), and for the N112 solenoid valve. So the N112 stays shut and stops vacuum from reaching the combi valve.

The pump rivets are shot, plus it's loud as hell and not flowing enough air. So it's throwing the 16795 Incorrect Flow error code.

I've got the Forge blank plate, and plan to remove all the gubbins once I get some good weather and free time. Shark will also remove the SAI system from the map, so I won't get an error code for having a broken circuit.

I might look round some local scrappies for an airbox without a hole...

These are what I've order and managed to come up with so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330651139643?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290654289625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

35mm ID for both. Should hopefully be here tomorrow. Shall inform how I get on.

The ECU trying to start a secondary air pump that's not there. The resistor in the multiplug is supposed to stop it though.

Yep that is it...

Resistor does not work very welI, I know most folks still get cell light now including me :sweat:

Oh and to block the airbox hole where the SAI pipe was, I ended up pulling flexi hose from the right angled connector to airbox and fitted a plastic end cap into it. (B&Q special) This was so tight did not need cable ties etc.

VRSAirFilterandthrottlebodyclean035.jpg

Bodge ...

Give us a clue where the relay is, that'll work as a er bodge for now on mine too

Hello Daaave (said in a Papa Lazarou voice).

Pop open the relay box towards the back of the engine bay. It's the black plastic one attached to the bulkhead, just behind the MAF. There's a plastic clip on the left hand side to release the lid. Once open you'll be faced with 2 relays. One relay is for the SAI system, the other relay is for the ECU power supply. You want the black relay (marked "100" on the top) to the left. Gently wiggle it free and hey presto no more SAI!

I've not had a light come on for it yet, but I'd imagine I have a code, I've just not checked yet. It's so nice and quiet now!

Enjoy!