what did you have before a vrs and why did you choose a vrs

Jasons

sorry fot the long title,i see there is a thread about what have people traded their vrs in for,but i was interested to know what cars people had before they got a vrs and why did they choose one,just being nosey really.

i will start, yellow fabia vrs from a bmw mini cooper,my friend had a silver vrs and was always raving about it,and i was getting bored with the mini so i traded it in for my first vrs,i have now got a red vrs which i came to from a silver ford ka,i really missed my yellow one and regretted selling it so when the chance and finances arose i got myself another one.

3 series BMW, but wanted a diesel, went for 1.4tdci fiesta but straight away wanted more diesel power!!! But still wanted a small car and low insurance. First wanted golf GT tdi (too expensive), then looked for polo GT tdi (like rocking horse s h i t) then went to look at black vrs (sold it) but had a red one in, in much better condition and low miles = Bingo.

I ran a 51 reg Bora 2.0 SE in Silver on Spax coilies (No other mods...)

before my vRS.

Mine handled great but needed a 6th gear and a Turbo tbh.

I drove the PD150 variant before I bought mine but in the end couldn't afford

a diesel version :( and the one I bought came up at a bargain price.

I was sure at the time that I definitely wanted a Bora, I wasn't keen on how

the mark4 Golf was in the external looks department but liked the interior.

Less common than the Golf as well.

Proton compact gti before the vrs se. Decided I needed a slightly more sensible car (less of a boy racer image). Was a choice between the vrs a Mazda 3 mps and a Volvo t5 the small hatch one. The cheaper to run insure and tax sort Of swayed the vrs as a winner. Took 8 weeks to get a low milage se that hadn't been snapped up already. And I'm really enjoying the strange looks you get when certain other marques hot hatch drivers look at you funny when they struggle to keep up

I had a euro look 2001 polo GTi, which I sold before it lost too much value.

I was thinking of going completely freelance with work so I replaced it with a really fuel efficient 2005 polo TDi (modded to look like a GTi), but it was boring as hell.

One drive in my mates vRS and I was convinced,

I had a highly modified Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT before my Fabia, I had my Ibiza for five years and had got bored and grown out of it, and got sick of the high running costs with fuel bills and high road tax that kept on climbing year after year. I had always had a soft spot for the Fabia and with my longer commute to work and being probaly the best hot hatch diesel around and holding good residual prices after a test drive I knew it's what I wanted. I knew a few mods would be in order also so I would be totally happy.

Mini Cooper Diesel.

Bought it new, but then my job became a little uncertain so decided I needed to get rid of it and find something cheaper as the payments were quite high.

Friend had just bought a car for his Mrs and said the dealer had a yellow vRS and it might be suitable for me. Went to look and it was a pile of crap but I liked the idea of it, so researched them a bit and found another one in Silver with nearly every factory option there is. I was sold.

I can honestly say its probably the best all round package for a small car I have eve come across, cheap to run, 4 doors and a fair amount of power. Sure it has its issues but I would have bought one years ago if I had known more about them.

One of the benefits is all the VAG options you can upgrade too and relatively cheaply, the Mini was a bloody rip off, everything so expensive.

The VRS didn't replace anything, it was bought as a bit of a weekend toy in addition to a daily driver.

And I still think it's great. :)

I just love the diesel Skoda looks and tuning potential.

And it's a bit raw to drive, which makes it a lot of fun as you are actually doing most of the work when it all goes right.

i had a 1.0 toyota yaris, which was a brilliant little first car for running around the isle of wight, but commuting up and down the a3 everyday got a bit tedious! wanted a car with more power, which was also affordable as i was 19 when i got it in june.

my vrs is completely standard, being a poor student i cant afford to do anything to it, not that i really planned to anyway! it does have oem heated leather seats and xenons, which i didnt realise were so rare until i reading around on here - i was very lucky to find it and get it before someone else did!

2000 polo 1.4 tdi which was starting to go wrong after having it for 5 years (both front suspensions collapsing whilst parked...?)

I cycle past Marlborough skoda in isleworth to work and saw a silver 07 with only 35k miles...only to have a rear door leak on me after a month! Ah well...

I had read about them and decided to part ex the polo for whatever I got, just so I didn't have to sell it!

Great car :)

I had a N reg Nissan Micra which i ran with no air filter for a year lol still kept going strong untill i crashed it/rotted to death.

Then i had a 1.4 fiesta zetec, cambelt tensioner failed = written off/flogged on

Then i had a yellow nissan micra, had done 133k on it, sold this on.

Then, because i finished my apprenticeship, got myself a decent car, the VRS.

I had a Renault 5 campus 1.4 for a year, loved that car. Then I inherited a Nissan Micra Tempest 1.0 for two years, which was slow as hell.

Got the Furby whilst looking for a small sporty hatchback with a turbo diesel engine, the skoda was quite abit cheaper then the other alternatives, liked the styling, was very quick car and was volkswagon. Logical.

had a rover 25td remapped and sdi injectors,went like the wind,but was'nt very relaxed on motorway due to low gearing,so the six speed box of the vrs really appealed.i also have a quiet laugh when folks have a gripe about the "noisy" vrs engine.they should have heard the rover on tickover.bit like a london bus!

i had a 1.3cdti corsa c, only thing i done to it was a remap an it was lethal crack, stuck to road real well :)

i'd looked at 130 golfs, boras, ibizas, etc but the vrs stood out as it was cheaper to insure than the rest, looks well without doing to much mods to it, and the one i bought came up cheap and had low miles :) only downfall is it's flipping black....i've come to dislike the colour black, such a disaster of a colour to keep clean :wall:

Citroen Berlingo 1.9d - great for space but engine was worse that cr*p and had loads of problems with it - took one test drive in the vRS and I part exed the citroen and drove out in the Fabia. Love it - best car I've ever owned.

I had a heavily modified and completely restored 1980 Mini which I did all the work by myself (except the painting) Had a 6 point rollcage, Cobra bucket seat's, uprated suspension etc etc Was fitted with a Stage 4 1380cc engine fitted with a Weber 45 so fuel became a major factor for myself as the reason to why I sold it. Even on a decent run I barely managed 25mpg outta it lol.

62950_519354290519_283800218_1000409_1246376_n.jpg

I went for the vRS as I loved the looks and the pull of my friends after she took me out in hers. I wanted one with leather due to being in the motor trade so didn't want black cloth seats all the time, was looking for ages and loosing all hope and toyed with the idea of a Megane Sport Diesel till a mate told me about one on ebay, was only 30miles away from me and on low miles, saw it on the sat morning and bought it on the monday.

Fiat Punto 1.2.... Broke, constant misfire on two cylinders due to ecu common failure.

Renault Clio 1.4si... Broke, constant misfire on two cylinder due to injector failures.

Fabia VRS... Fingers crossed no misfires ;-) got it as clio was old and dead pretty much, mate suggested fabia VRS, found an SE at local skoda dealer, test drive and fell in love, big smile ever since :-)

306 1.8. With gti-6 inlet/exhaust manifold and cams. I sold it because I knew something big was going to go on it soon....had a feeling. Got the vRS as i wanted a seat ibiza cupra R tdi but couldnt afford the insurance. And the 130 ibiza looks a bit crap.

So far the skoda been very reliable. it great on the motorway, comfy and is a bit stealthy. Only down side IMO is that its not that fast as standard

I had an Astra Sport hatch 1.6 SXi

Then got the MK1 Fabia vRS as I was doing 120 miles a day to work...

That got changed for a Focus ST-2 when I moved around the corner from work...

Replaced that with a Grande Punto Sporting 1.9 JDTM

Then got the MK2 vRS as i said I would when I sold the MK1