Buying a new Roomster - what options to take?

dieselV6

Hi,

About to get a Roomster for my missus and would appreciate your help with options

Any options recommended/not recommended? I read the mixed opinions on front armrest already, will have a second look.

Glass roof in particular, good/bad, any problems in daily use?

Practicality is what matters for this car.

Does Scout have anything useful other than looks, for example all metal skid plates at front/back? I already gathered that it's got really expensive tyre size.

Do "normal" projector headlights adapt for Europe using a lever in MY2012 Roomsters? Again, I read mixed posts on this.

Is 1.6TDI 105bhp engine good enough for motorway runs at speed? I'm thinking ~100mph for hours on autobahn from time to time, for quicker travel I've got my Mk1 Superb 2.5TDI.

Finally, is towbar obstructing parking sensors when in place?

Help much appreciated.

I have the factory fitted removable towbar and it does not effect the parking sensors when attached. Obviously when I then attach my trailer the trailer effects them but not the tow bar on its own.

I also have the Roomster 3, so hence the Glass roof. Again I have had no problems with the glass roof. It does not get any hotter in Summer than a car without the glass. The only thing I could say is if the sun is really bright above the car than of course it shines in through the roof, but I just pull the blinds across the roof, so again not a problem.

Lastly regarding options, I got the roof bars fitted at factory purchase. They are hard to add later as they attach under the roof lining. I use the roof bars when I put a top box on the car. So if you ever may need a top box then get the roof bars fitted now.

Many thanks for answers, I'll take the glass roof then unless I end up with a Scout (though if my other half insists I might still order Scout with the sunroof), and yes, I wanted roofbars. Have you got black or silver ones? Are silver roofbars more durable or resistant to scratches than black ones?

Could anyone comment on the remaining points please? You will be rewarded :hi: with technical posts from me down the line, search for my posts on Superb 1 / Octy forums to see what I mean :angel:

Does Scout have anything useful other than looks, for example all metal skid plates at front/back? I already gathered that it's got really expensive tyre size.

Do "normal" projector headlights adapt for Europe using a lever in MY2012 Roomsters? Again, I read mixed posts on this.

Is 1.6TDI 105bhp engine good enough for motorway runs at speed? I'm thinking ~100mph for hours on autobahn from time to time, for quicker travel I've got my Mk1 Superb 2.5TDI.

Hi,

About to get a Roomster for my missus and would appreciate your help with options

Any options recommended/not recommended? I read the mixed opinions on front armrest already, will have a second look.

Glass roof in particular, good/bad, any problems in daily use?

Practicality is what matters for this car.

Finally, is towbar obstructing parking sensors when in place?

Help much appreciated.

Hi, been driving a roomster for a year (bought new last April), I can tell you something based on my own experience.

I chose a fairly priced option set with Automatic Climatronic, Alarm System and Rear parking sensors. Actually, the only thing I really wanted in the set was the Climatronic (really comfortable!), but I realized that parking sensors are really useful in MPVs and especially in towns. The only thing you could do without is the Alarm System, since the car is already equipped with an immobilizer system, but it really depends what kind of place are you living in :giggle:

According to the trim level you choose, a list of useful things:

- black or silver roof bars, they are the only way to subsequently carry something on the roof; silver or black? I think it is just a matter of taste, silver are more elegant and black...cheaper;

- Swing radio system is a decent one and easy to operate, do not forget 4 rear loudspeakers (could you leave rear passengers without music or News?); if you need a SatNav system, you would better choose a removable one (less expensive and more practical);

- I do not know about sunrays intensity in your part of UK, but stock back sunset glasses are very useful here in Italy, they lower a bit the inner temperature in summer and, of course, improve privacy.

- SAFETY: do not save money on safety matters! Choose a full equipment with ESP and all the airbags you can have;

- H7 projector lamps are better than H1 type, also consider front fog lights or cornering lights, according to your needs; i fit H7 and according to the manual they can easily be adapted to right-left side driving;

- cruise control is very useful on motorways, it is comfortable and fuel saving;

- 15" wheel rims are the best compromise between comfort and grip; with 16" rims you get a bit more grip and a racing look, but they also mean more noise, bumps, rattles and a more expensive bill for tyres; I am personally satisfied with the 15"

The SE trim level could be the right one, if you add a few things. Of course, if you can afford, the SE Plus is the best one, though it still lacks ESP.

SCOUT model: plastic protections all around, a bit more ground clearance = useful in the countryside and during town....parking battles :giggle:

Finally, the 1.6 TDI 105 is a fine engine, you could also consider the 1.2 TSI 105 petrol for lower mileages. Cheaper to buy, good torque, good fuel consumption, smoother, less noisy. You can read good things of it in this forum.

Hope it helps :hi:

Edited by Lorenzo

Hi, been driving a roomster for a year (bought new last April), I can tell you something based on my own experience.

SCOUT model: plastic protections all around, a bit more ground clearance = useful in the countryside and during town....parking battles :giggle:

Thanks, I agree with most points and was thinking alongside the same lines, ESP, glass roof, parking sensors, fog lights, cruise control, roof bars.

However, I read Skoda's very own Roomster User manual and it states ground clearance:

Roomster SE 140mm, Roomster Scout 141mm. 1mm is not much.

Does Scout really have more ground clearance than the largely symbolic 1mm quoted?

You are right!

I was sure I had read somewhere about 10 mm (1 cm) but I was wrong and the Italian manual reports 1mm, too.

I must gather that the difference in height between SE and Scout (1607 and 1650 mm.) is due to the factory fit roof bars of the Scout.

A bit of a disappointment....though the plastic parts are still good for Bumper Wars :rofl:

I must also gather you are going for an SE Plus, aren't you? It seems to be the most sensible option if you want the glass roof.

Something else: if you plan to fit a child safety seat in front, do not miss the airbag de-activation feature; also, Maxi-Dot display is useful and scenic, but

some info is honestly useless, unless you fit the multi-function wheel with bluetooth option. In that case, you can control radio and cell phone (address book, calls) with the aid of the Maxi-Dot.

I do have MaxiDot without MF wheel and Bluetooth. It is not something I could not live without, but it was stock, so...

Edited by Lorenzo

SE Plus does sound very likely, the only thing going for Scout is if somehow taller tyres fitted on these 16in wheels without rubbing the wheelarches, ground clearance would improve by 18mm to 158mm. Then add a steel skid plate and it is a Yeti beater :happy: (unless the metal-looking front bumper underside on Scout is actually metal, have not had a chance to look at it closely yet).

I'm quite sure that 205/50/16 would fit in place of stock 205/45/16 giving 8mm extra because there must be at least 10mm allowance for snow chains, but the question is would the most popular tyre size 205/55/16 fit in the Scout's wheel arches... I'm pretty sure rear ones would fit as it is Golfs rear and 205/55/16 is Golf's size.

Side note: speedo would be out 6%, ie 4mph at 70mph, so actually the reading on cluster would become perfectly accurate, and don't get me started on insurance. They insurance con men forbid you every possible mod, but they seem having trouble paying market value or even 60% of it when third party writes off your car through their stupidity (my wife's car got driven into the back at speed, in daylight, while stationary, waiting to pass oncoming traffic).

Edited by dieselV6

I got my new Roomster in October 2011, with 1.2TSI 105Bhp manual gear box.

• ESP + Airbags is mandatory!
  • Fixed towbar. - Must have for me.
  • Panoramic roof. - The kids love this!
  • Sunset glass in the rear and boot.
  • Swing radio system with 4 speakers with AUX input. - Must have.
  • Automatic Climatronic. - Really nice :-)
  • Cruise control.
  • Roof bars in black.
  • Heated front seats.
  • Heated washer jets.
  • Summer and winter tires.
  • And box under each front seats.
  • Mudflaps front and rear.
  • Electric front and rear car windows.

Must of it comes factory fitted. The model type was "Roomster Style" in Denmark.

I am driving every day on motorway, and was thinking of an Armrest. But first I have try a Roomster/Fabia demo car with armrest.

Edited by Togo

Thanks for reply

Just had a glance at the Scout at my local dealer, there is no underbody protection whatsoever, all plastic, just painted for aluminium look.

Will go for SE Plus 1.6TDI and most likely get a steel skid plate fitted, test drive tomorrow, will wait for order prob till Monday until insurance calls back with a degrading settlement :wonder: on the Octy.

Edited by dieselV6

It sounds a very good choice, I just suggest try driving a TSI 105hp...it could be a surprise if you come from a diesel.

As to me, I would have chosen 16" rims if I could have fit 205/55 tyres. There are no technical problems, apart from hard to find snow chains (but I usually fit winter tyres from November to March). The problem is, in Italy you are allowed a limited list of rims and tyres, all of them are listed in the car's documents. And 205/55 are not on the list. The optional 16" 205/45 has a section which is too low, as to my taste. Comfort gets worse, then I chose to keep the stock 15" with 195/55.

Granted, diesels are not as good option as they used to be since DPF times, but they still have the following advantages:

1. Less flammable in open air (I believe quite relevant, I saw 3 cars burning on side of the road going to and coming back from a holiday in Italy)
  2. Diesel still costs 20% less than petrol in most parts of Europe we occassionally drive to, including France.
  3. If there is a sudden oil crisis and shortage (wars etc, Iran?), you can run biodiesel, if it gets worse then a mix of kerosene and motorcycle oil, or as a last resort fresh/used veg oil thinned with isopropanol, though unless I'd really have to go the extra mile I'd never try anything other than regular diesel on a CR TDI engine. Petrol engine has only ethanol as alternative option, unless you convert to LPG (but LPG is forbidden going through Eurotunnel).

The above are for any diesel, personally I'd like to see a 5-cyl 2.0TDI 220bhp in a Roomster (not likely, this used to be a racing engine) instead of the tiny 4-cyl 1.6.

Edited by dieselV6

Glass roof!!! Without hesitation. DIdn't spec it on ours (ex-demo) but wouldn't be without it. I'd imagine the cabin being a dark place without it.

Projector lights..... not if you can help it I think they're poo!!

The engine in our MY2008 Scout is the PD105 and since It's been Shark mapped and coupled with a PD160 intake and a panel filter it's really punchy and feels a lot less laboured.

Roof rails - Black I'm not a fan of chrome/silver

Accessories wise -

1. get the OEM sunshades ontop of the privacy/sunset glas and you can barely see into the rear of the car. Great for the kids and when transporting stuff to keep out of site.

2. Kickplates for the door shuts - black plastic or brushed aluminium effect ones at twice the price!!

Here's some pics of mine:

P1020606.jpg

P1020619.jpg

P1020620.jpg

P1020607.jpg

• Like 1

I have 2010, which is theoretically the same. If the headlights adapt this way it is impossible to see or operate the lever without dismantling something. The access is not even sufficient for (me) to change the dip bulbs. Lift the bonnet of a demonstrator and judge for yourself.

It sounds a very good choice, I just suggest try driving a TSI 105hp...it could be a surprise if you come from a diesel.

It's a decent motor but I'd take the diesel for sustained Autobahn work. The DPF could be a problem if it's usually used as a wife's school run/shopping car. Sexist maybe but true!

The glass roof is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. It came on my SE spec last May. I hate it, I tried to keep the blinds shut but in hot weather it opens itself, even when the car is locked and unattended. In cold weather, it opens itself, just go over a bump. I have gaffer taped the two little handles together. When I take the car for its first service this May I will ask the dealer if there is a modification to the mechanism. As the roof doesn't open I cannot see the point of it.

I have a 3 spec Roomster so the glass roof came as standard but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I specced roof bars but have not been confident to carry anything weighty due to the glass roof, maybe just over cautious.

The arm rest is good for the extra storage and on motorway runs.

I would buy a scout 1.2 tsi with cruise control and rear parking sensors if I was replacing mine.

I paid extra for the glass roof and I have never regretted it. I love it and never, ever close the blinds.

My next Roomster will not be a Scout unless 15 inch wheels become an option

The standard 16 inch wheels with wide(ish), low(ish) profile tyres give a very firm ride.

I love diesels but I do a lot of town driving, which would clog the DPF on the latest diesels.

I would buy an SE (standard glass roof) 1.2TSI DSG if I was replacing mine.

Heated seats have been the best option for me.

The armrest hasn't been used apart from the long motorway runs and wouldn't select it next time. . The panoramic sunroof is great and makes the car feel so much lighter and bigger inside. Like the posting above the blinds are never closed. Roof bars have been useful and I like the cornering headlamps.

The dpf makes the car feel groggy sometimes if it kicks in around town otherwise no issues to date.

I have found the 105 cr diesel fine for motorway runs and it eats up the miles easily. Not as much omph as my old passat 130 pd but it's smoother. Crusie control was also a nice option.

Edited by RandomSkodaperson

You need to get the spreadsheet out and cost each option you want against the different trim levels. For me this made the SE spec the best fit as the options I was looking for cost more in Scout spec or were not included in SE + spec

I went with the 1.2 petrol (105bhp) 7 speed DSG as this included the traction control, rear brake (disc not drum) and hill hold as standard. Options were; 3rd headrest for rear seats, spare wheel (not gunk kit), passenger airbag disable, climate control, cruise control, front fogs (including DRL's).

Maybe the only thing I miss from previous cars are radio controls on the steering wheel.

Glass roof is much appreciated by passengers and makes the car a very bright place to be, but can allow strange glare or reflections in the cabin (solved by pulling the blinds).

Many thanks for help, it was very useful as preparation for test drive.

We test drove 1.6TDI 90bhp yesterday, very good impression. Long gearbox, in town the car is practically automatic as you can do 15mph-40mph in 3rd on sensible rpms, and the long 5th is perfect above 55mph so on motorway (32mph/1000rpm). I expect that on 105bhp (same gearbox, more torque and power) the 5th will be very responsive from 50mph which will make it adequate on hilly country roads (90 bhp struggled in places on A507). Handling is very good for a Praktik van :rofl: , it handles better than the old Octavia. We'll stick to 15in wheels and get same alloy spare as the rest of the wheels. Sunroof, well, it is different to what I am used to, but kids love it and it does make the interior feel much lighter. I just need to buy another RainX :rain: bottle as there is a lot of glass on this car :hi:

Have not checked the headlights in detail on the Roomster, but yes, access might be difficult on one side, I think the manual recommends removing fuel filter for access. I looked at very similar design Valeo lights on my wife's rental Fiesta, and I think I can see the lever to change for flat beam, but moving that lever will require another bent screwdriver (I already use the "bent screwdriver method" to adapt Superb's projectors). Also, if Fiesta's lights are any guide, my first job on the Roomster might be to put in a HID kit as the headlights lit the road worse than a pair of birthday cake candles.

The only doubtful "feature" was the hole to boot behind middle rear seat, present even when seat is up, but it'll get covered by means of optional extended parcel shelf (which velcroes to backs of rear seats). I still might cut out a partition to be velcroed to backs of outer rear seats to close boot off when middle seat is folded to be a table. A suitable partition material presents itself in the form of the to-be-written-off Octavia's plastic boot dish :giggle:

We'll definitely go for SE Plus, better upholstery, climate control and pretty much all options discussed here bar the door sill covers and electric tailgate. I had the sill covers on last 2 cars, but now I figured I want to see the scratches and scuffs before I glue covers on top of them :happy:

Also, as I have experience of ~140mm ride height from Octavia, I wil put steel skid plate on the front as soon as the car arrives. :wall::rofl: . Fixed flange towbar with towbar carrier mount plate will complete protection detail :bandit:

I agreed the price and am ready to pay the deposit, but the darn insurance is dragging it's feet and delaying getting back to us with payout information for my wife's rear ended Octavia. Apparently, it is profitable for them to delay things as they can charge the other insurer exorbitant courtesy car credit hire rates :devil:

To be honest, it is quite clear already that insurance will try it on and offer over £1k below market value, so It is going to be a long fight anyway. But I want to hear their (ridiculous) offer before putting down deposit on Roomster and then disputing the payoff, in case they change mind at last minute and fix the car. By my reckoning, even their own quoted repair cost is 15% lower than the market value as per Glass, Parkers and AT, so should they come to their senses after I order the Roomster, I will end up with 3 Skodas :blush: .

Just to update: insurance payout agreed, new Roomster ordered. Now the wait begins...

Payout (after haggling) was reasonable, ie would buy a similar Octavia locally from a dealer.

Though taking into account the fact that my wife's Octy was in very good condition and could easily drive another 3-4 years and the 13 weeks without a car before new Roomster arrives, it still puts us at a loss .

I am checking with Parts at the dealer if the optional Roomster skid plate is metal or plastic, I'll take either one, even reinforced plastic is better protection than stock sound insulation -been there on the Octavia.

Good that it has worked out with the insurance.

The waiting of a new car can be long, special with out a car.

Hope you love the Roomster :-)

Edited by Togo

Hi - I can only help you with the glass sunroof issue - I have a new SE+ on order and that comes with 2/3rds of the roof as glass. I have never had a car that has not had a sunroof of some kind, and I think they really are worth the money, it has to be the light value in the car.

Tugmaster

ive got roomy se the sunroof is the best thing for me in my car every person who sits in it says how big the roof is

and how light it is in the car whent last night my mates car and felt how dark in it having now sunroof

so all the best with the roomy pete

• 2 weeks later...