All of a sudden i'm considering a VRS

Hi all

I've currently got a 59 plate Avensis Tourer 2.2 Diesel Tspriit Auto (bit of a mouthfull) but i'm looking to sell it, pay off the finance and get a cheaper car to escape the big monthly payments. I was originally thinking of an Accord or Mondeo titanium x but suddenly i've come across the Octavia II and notice that the rear space seems to be bigger in these than the mk I. Also can't believe what a bargain they look second hand! I am married and we have a 4 year old and hope to have another child in the not too distant future so we need a big car and me being 6'4" always makes the rear space tight, is there enough room in the back of the Octavia II when someone of my size is in the front?

Also I drive approximately 3 miles to and from work 5 days a week and once or twice a month I have to travel somewhere (anywhere) in the country to provide sales presentations. On this sort of mileage would you recommend the diesel or petrol? Suprisingly my existing automatic diesel toyota only achieves 26mpg to and from work and a maximum of 37mpg on a long distance run which is quite poor. Is the petrol engine cheap enough to run and maintain? The DPF issues worry me with only driving a short distance from work.

The only other thing that concerns me is the badge....I know Skoda's are very good cars and so do people who know a bit about cars but joe bloggs who doesn't know a thing will still giggle. Stuff them I guess!

Any thoughts on the space in the octavia and the recommend fuel option would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Mark

Hi and welcome

1. Drive them both to see which you like best. Those who do a reasonable mileage will say diesel (me) and those who don't will say petrol. DPF only seems to be a problem as far a I know, if you do short runs/small mileage. I've run diesels since 2006 and had problems with the exhaust pressure sensor on my last two - one was a 140 Tdi and the other a 170CR. Just lucky, I guess....

2. Bootspace. I may be corrected, but I think it's identical whether you go for the hatch or the estate. The estate is obviously more practical for loading and unloading but I think the hatch looks better. Matter of personal opinion.

3. My 170 CR vRS has told me tonight via maxidot that it has done 50mpg since the last fill up. It may be lying, but I don't doubt it. My previous Octavia did similar numbers.

If space is an issue, try a Superb Estate. They're positively massive....

Hope that helps.

Edited by Paul007

I have the diesel, and my journey to and from work is 14 miles a day. I had no qualms about buying the diesel even though I am doing relatively short journeys. It was too good a bargain to refuse just because it was a diesel. Mine came with leather interior, electric sunroof, front and rear parking sensors, heated seats, full size spare wheel and the boot is so big you could climb in! I love this car and it is my first Skoda. Ignore the badge thing, that is in the past, they are real classy cars. Go for it.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am sure the hatch is perfect for the loads that I carry, it's more the legroom that I wanted to check, so many big cars have quite poor legroom (especially when you're 6'4" like me).

Thanks

I'm 6'2", but have long legs for my height & have my seat pretty far back.

Loads of room behind for the kids (5&3 yrs).

Test drive one & see for yourself!

Otherwise, the Superb (as stated above) is massive. Geek fact, the Superb has 8 cm more rear legroom than an S-Class Merc!

im also 6'2" with a 34 inside leg, and there is plenty of room in the back for kids and adults. the only problem you would have is a rear facing baby seat but you just put that on the passenger side, which you would anyway.

Why are you concerned about the badge? I'm a bit of a badge snob if I'm honest and wouldn't touch a toyota or ford or anything like that but seriously, it's a Skoda you're talking about here.....

Hello, I'm considering a MK 2 vRS myself, probably petrol though as I don't do enough miles to justify a diesel. Does anyone have a 'real world' MPG figure for one, just out of interest?

33 overall for me.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am sure the hatch is perfect for the loads that I carry, it's more the legroom that I wanted to check, so many big cars have quite poor legroom (especially when you're 6'4" like me).

Thanks

I'm 6ft5 and I tried the back out as I'm off to twickenham in April from south Wales and the car is going to be full of 4 adults. The legspace is just ok in my opinion for occasional use. If its legspace is more important go for the superb. With the front seat fully back their is still about 6" to 9" of legspace in the back for other tall people. Would have got a superb but missus said it be too big for her. Picking the octavia up tomorrow so let you know. And yes the boot space is massive. One thing I couldn't get on with in the fabia

I personally wouldn't bother with the diesel for that sort of mileage. I had a CR and didn't find it particularly economical and just didn't like the power delivery in general. It just felt slow through the gears compared to my previous TFSI as the useable rev range is more limited but at motorway speeds performance was pretty reasonable and more on par. I found in the CR that my mpg was actually worse on short journeys than my previous TFSI [and current tsi] and the overall figure of 37mpg was pretty poor and not worth the sacrifice. By way of comparison I currently get 29mpg out of my tsi which is remapped to stage 1. 50mpg plus is achievable in the CR but I couldn't drive like that all the time. I managed it once on 60 mile trip mainly on country roads but it made me wonder why even bother having a vrs to drive like that all the time and that if economy was that important surely you're better off with a 140bhp diesel which would give more mpg. If you were to drive in the same way in the tsi you can just as easily get 40mpg anyway, I managed this driving home last night taking it steady over the 9 miles or so.

In summary, I concluded that based on my driving style there was an average difference of between 8 and 10mpg between the cr and tsi. I do however wonder if I drove the CR harder to compensate for the shortfall in performance.

It all comes down to personal preference though, which one suits your driving style, and the importance you place on performance over economy or vice versa. My advice is to try and get an extended test drive of each and draw your own conclusions about which is best for you.

Edited by Guest

Try one out im sure you will love it.

Im on my 4th Octavia now in 8 years and I love them.

Upto now I have covered over 300,000 miles in them without ant major issues.

I havnt had a VRS but at the moment the 1.8TSi Elegance is almost as good.

As for the badge they may turn their noses up at you but they will be doing it in you rear view mirror after you have toasted them.

• Like 1

I have always been a VW fan but mk6 golf was full of probably got my money back and bought a new vrs tdi. Really pleased with it. Spacious comfortable and its quick enough when you need it.not much in it. Compared to my mk5 gti. Gti handling bit tighter. Over all I would recommend the vrs.

The seats in a Vrs are positively back cripplingly poor.

Eh? that's the opposite of my experience. I do 30k miles a year in mine and find it a very nice place to sit.

:wonder:

Eh? that's the opposite of my experience. I do 30k miles a year in mine and find it a very nice place to sit.

:wonder:

Me too - VRS seats are good IMHO. But if in doubt, try one first, preferably over a few days. I've suffered with bad seats before and it ain't funny.

My overall mpg is currently 34.45 (petrol VRS) on a mixed commute 20 miles each way.

i'd say go for a petrol engine.

With the mileage you anticpate doing and the price of diesel compared to petrol theres no financial benefit for you to go diesel.

Performance and driveability in the petrol will be overall "better" compared to the diesel but that is objective so you need to test drive both. They both drive quite differently too.

Space wise the Octavia will no doubt meet your requirements but theres not loads of space in the back leg room wise. Its comfotable enough but I once travelled to Scotland in the back of one and I knew about it by the time I got there (i'm 6'2"). If you want legroom you will need to go for the superb but that is a massive car and you might not be comfortable with it on a day to day basis based on size.

As for the badge issue. Go and drive one and hopefully you will be as surprised as most people and when you take into account all the + & - its a no brainer and the right choice. Seriously ive had people think my car is a BMW and when anyone has been in the passenger seat they have been very impressed with build quality and comfort.

Ive had a mondeo before and in I would choose skoda time and time again (i'm on my 5th Skoda).its better in every way.

Petrol vRS for you without any doubt given the low mileage you are doing.

Badge??? I part ex'd a BMW 320d Msport which was mine from new for my vRS Estate and would do it all again. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/227927-opinions-on-20-tfsi-vrs/page__fromsearch__1

If it helps you decide I would recommend reading the above link from this forum:

Thanks guys

I am going to be looking at petrol models which seem to be around 07/57 plates with my budget. Is there anything to watch for around this year?

Edited by markquinton

Thanks guys

I am going to be looking at petrol models which seem to be around 07/57 plates with my budget. Is there anything to watch for around this year?

You'll not be disappointed, just look out for a good service history check that the cam belt has been changed and depending on mileage the brake pads may need doing. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and have had a bit of work done on warranty, including the whole A/C system being replaced but it's a great car to drive with plenty of room and the seats are comfy.

What is your budget, if you don't mind me asking?

What level do the facelift cars start at? Is it worth stretching a little to get one of these? In my view the interior is much nicer, plus you get the TSI engine which is chain driven rather than belts.