Problem with windows opening themselves

Has anybody had a problem with the windows opening themselves?

It's happened a couple of times now - I go out in the morning and the windows are open. The first time it happened I found out about the feature where you can open them with a long press of unlock so I've been careful with the keys since but it's happened again overnight.

The way I see it, it can only be three things:

- A problem with one set of keys

- A problem with the car

- Some kind of interference

Any one of these would be a problem. I'm going to ring the dealer I got it from - it's 11 months old so still under warranty - I just thought I'd see if it's a common fault and what the cause might be.

I don't have maximum dot so I can't do anything with that. Can the automatic windows thing be disabled? I guess I should have checked if the doors were actually unlocked too...

Had this once on mine but I put it down to the keys being in my trouser pocket during the evening. Strange thing was on that occasion the weather was terrible (Blowing a gale and raining cats and dogs) but the alarm never triggered from the windows being down until the middle of the night when we were all asleep. Even then when I got up to check the car, find my keys and reset the alarm I didn't notice the windows were all open (Must have been sleep walking), just found a rather damp car in the morning. Still its not happened again since so it must have been the keys in my pocket the previous evening.

Has your triggered the alarm at all?

If you are in the Huddersfield/Holmfirth area at all I will happily run your car through VCDS to see if anything comes up.

I guess you could make sure the keys are kept out of range of the car at night and see if it still happens.

This has been reported on here before, they were adamant it wasn't an accidental press of the key as they were in a drawer!

Can't remember what the problem was though, sorry.

Maybe a search will pick something up?

• 7 months later...

Don't the electric window mechanisms have some kind of safety feature where they open if they believe the car has been submerged in water (so that the occupants can escape in the event of the car going into water)?

I've heard of this before with a Vauxhall that kept doing it.

• 1 month later...

I've had this problem 4 or 5 times with my 2-year-old Fabia. I reported it to Skoda UK the first time (3 weeks after I got the car) and took it to the dealer, but they could find no fault. They suggested mis-operation of the remote key fob, but I'm not convinced.

I always look back at the car after I lock it as I'm walking away, and the windows were shut when I left it in Asda carpark (2 days ago). Both front windows were open when I returned.

Looks to me like an intermittent electrical fault. Any suggestions for a fix?

This is a known VAG fault. Happened to loads of Scirocco's. as its a frameless door the window drops down to pass the rubbers. Then goes up again when closed. It's also been reported accross multiple cars though.

In addition to the other suggestions:

I too had a similar issue to this on a Mk5 Golf (again keys were in a drawer). Initially the convenience setting for the windows were deactivated by the dealer; however, this didn't cure the the issue. Eventually a faulty bonnet senor (part of the alarming system) was diagnosed as the rogue component; this prevented the alarm from activating properly and caused the windows to drop.

Edited by Black_Sheep

Was it raining at the time? As Tempted said, the car drops the windows if it thinks it's in a lake. A friends golf did this during a rain-storm. Luckily somone recognised it was her car and threw a tarp over it to keep the rest out.

I know you can set the delay time for the windows opening, they are usually set at 2 secs and you can change this delay to longer. Might be useful if it turns out to be your error otherwise poss alarm fault.

Enable the rain closing option on your car just in case it happens again and then starts raining! Hehe.

Could it also be a faulty door switch? As holding the key in the lock/unlock position also puts the windows up/down.

Phil

Enable the rain closing option on your car just in case it happens again and then starts raining! Hehe.

Could it also be a faulty door switch? As holding the key in the lock/unlock position also puts the windows up/down.

Phil

When this happened on mine the auto rain closing didn't kick in resulting in one very wet interior.

This happened to me several times on my last car a Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi dsg elegance. It was explained to me that the keyfob signals are pre set within certain parameters, and these can be reset and adjusted accordingly.Sometimes i kept my finger on the lock button a fraction to long this resulted in the car locking and alarm setting correctly but a fraction later both front windows would drop several inches, the same happened when i unlocked it.If i pressed it quickly once it cured it but i gues i should have had it reset. The problem is you dont notice it when you lock it unless you stop and check it.I dont know if it will do it on my Blackline will try it one day.