RNS510 Firmware query

402x (which is not much different to 398x) is probably as far as you can go with that unit. I believe 4120 and above are really only for newer units.

Thank you for your reply.

I loaded V10 map, and in Turkish the device is really driving me crazy. It makes stupid calculations and gives directions which are not understandable.

So i thought that maybe it is firmware and map issue. As far as i see people use 4120 mostly, and with no such problems like mines.

I don't know anyone running v10 maps at the moment.

I'm not sure on this, but they may only be fully compatible with the MIB Columbus fitted to the Octavia Mk3 as they came out at about the same time.

Just a thought. No evidence.

• 1 month later...

Upgrading to any newer firmware does seem to enable the hidden menu.

Using the software hack to remove VIM also deactivates the hidden menu.

The only way then to reactivate the menu is to upgrade firmware or use VCDS to reactivate it in the adaptions as adamal mentions.

• 2 months later...

I have RNS 510 in Skoda Octavia:

Delivery part number: 3T0 035 680
HW-Version              : H50
SW-Version             : 1404

I would like to upgrade the firmware. Which highest version of firmware can i use?  

Thanks

Probably 3810a, a modified version of 3810 that is required to avoid battery drain in Octavias built up until mid-2007.

That part number potentially went up to October 2009, so should be a revision A or B unit.  You should also be able to use the 4020 modified for older European units here: www.rnsfirmware.com.  You will see there is now a newer version with the hard drive partitioned slightly differently (60% music, 35% maps, 5% POIs) that is supposedly better for the larger sized maps that are now about (v10), which will need to be re-installed (along with music) as you are coming from a 1 series firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded maps from v9 to v10 (W-Europe) last week.
After this the GPS does not get any fix, shows 0/11 or 0/12 satellites.

Position is sometimes shown correct, but quite often a few kilometers off, and has also been some hundred kilometers off.

Is this a result of hardware and software that is not compatible?

Unit is 3T0035680E/HW H-61/SW 3984.

Much more likely to be something up with the gps aerial I would say. Have you done any other work which might have disturbed the connection at the back of the unit?

Upgraded maps from v9 to v10 (W-Europe) last week.

After this the GPS does not get any fix, shows 0/11 or 0/12 satellites.

Position is sometimes shown correct, but quite often a few kilometers off, and has also been some hundred kilometers off.

Is this a result of hardware and software that is not compatible?

Unit is 3T0035680E/HW H-61/SW 3984.

Almost certainly the GPS antenna / connection that it at fault.

Remove the blue plug from the back of the Columbus, blow it and the contact on the Columbus, then reinsert it. Make sure it goes back on straight and square and then give it a good push and a wiggle to seat it in properly.

Could also be the location of the GPS puck itself if you have moved it for any reason (assuming you don't have a roof mounted antenna - in which case I'd say that a broken receiver is at fault). 

Thanks.
Will check the connection at the back of the Columbus then. The antenna should be roof mounted if it is factory installed?
But isn't it strange that it lists the number of satellites, different due to different car locations I guess, but gets no fix to any of the satellites?

I've had the same issue (with a puck). It knows how many are there and picks up very few or none.

Turned out to be a poor connection at the rear.

However, as your antenna is factory fitted on the roof, it could be water ingress into that.

Check the connection first as that is most likely.

Antenna connection checked.  Connection was firmly locked and did not seem to be damaged. Unlocked and opened the connector, cleen and undamaged. Reconnected and checked, -still no fix on satellites, but more than 10 indicated.
-Next should be checking for water ingress in antenna?

Have you rebooted the Columbus? (Press <, > and i at the same time for 2-3 seconds).

You never know...

Then looking at the antenna state would be my next suggestion.