Given the choice......

43 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice (i.e. funds are limited to only one) which would you have....

As the poll says. ;)

Although I should mention that Maxidot would be a retro-fit.

Thanks guys :)

Edited by RainbowFore

Maxidot, easy.

Get that fitted and you'll be able to do most of what you want anyway probably. If you want a scan done or something else changed there are plenty of friendly members who'll help out.

Given a 50/50 choice, I'd go for VCDS. It's a tough one as they're both useful, with VCDS giving you the benefit of checking the car for faults and running logging if desired.

Given a 50/50 choice, I'd go for VCDS. It's a tough one as they're both useful, with VCDS giving you the benefit of checking the car for faults and running logging if desired.

I have voted for maxidot as I am on the prowl for one as we speak, but VCDS is on the wishlist. Although thinking about it, if you get the diagnostic cable it could easily pay for itself by doing little favours for members?? :wonder:

VCDS can be used on multiple different cars and taken with you when you change and is therefore a better long term investment.

Buy VCDS now and save up for maxidot as a future mod.

VCDS has been invaluable, and as said you can take it between cars. Also helpful if you have friends and relatives with VAG motors. Plus with the HEX+CAN lead it covers a huge range of vehicles.

When I've had a few issues at the roadside it's been really helpful to work out what's happened. In one case with one of the Fabias, it was fairly obvious from the error code that it was a boost hose clip, which I managed to get sorted at the side of the road. Without VCDS that probably wouldn't have been possible, or practical - especially as it happened at night :)

Maxidot new is a £120 no brainer, but not a £650 retrofit! also as above, you can do other cars for a beer with vcds :yes:

Just to confirm, maxidot can be had for just over 300 quid fitted and coded........but I get your point! ;)

I've gone for maxidot. I prefer my car to have the options easily available and I'm sure VCDS would be used once in a blue moon in reality. Your dealer can do any coding you need at service time or quite cheaply (and in my experience foc if you're a regular) when required.

I've gone for maxidot. I prefer my car to have the options easily available and I'm sure VCDS would be used once in a blue moon in reality. Your dealer can do any coding you need at service time or quite cheaply (and in my experience foc if you're a regular) when required.

As said before great if ordered from new, but not retrofit,as the OP is doing , by the way Lee ,Shark wanted 650, new clocks etc, also the dealers cannot do all coding just common things, and want £90 just to scan , Ross -tech is a much more comprehensive