Taking your Yeti to France?

Anzio

If you are planning on a summer trip to France in your Yeti have a look at this taken from the Mail.

French police are expected to carry out random checks on drivers crossing into France via Calais to ensure that they understand the latest drink-driving rules.

But critics have cast doubt on the accuracy of the breathalyser kits in being able to tell if a driver is over the limit.

Andrew Howard, the AA’s head of road safety, said early readings could be misleading as it takes time for alcohol to be absorbed into the blood.

He said: ‘After you have had your last swig of alcohol, your reading will continue to rise for the next 40 minutes because it takes time for alcohol to go down into your stomach and be taken into the bloodstream.'

Keith Peat of the Association of British Drivers said many people would forget to buy the breathalysers and claimed the new law was simply another attempt to make money out of foreign drivers.

He said: ‘Some people will take the chance and not buy them, but many will simply not know about this latest requirement or just forget.

'The whole idea of self-testing sounds like nonsense. It seems like another money spinner for the very profitable road safety industry.'

WHAT YOU NEED TO DRIVE IN FRANCEAnyone driving in France is required to carry a warning triangle and a fluorescent safety vest to use in an emergency.

If a motorist carries the luminous vest in their boot rather than the main section of the car they can still be fined.

British motorists must display a GB plate and have their headlights adjusted to the right.

Drivers are not obliged to carry a spare set of lights, but if one of their bulbs goes and they do not have a replacement ready they can be fined.

A fire extinguisher and first aid kit could also be required in the case of an emergency so not to fall foul of a law about assisting in the event of an accident.

Last month, the French introduced a new law banning satellite navigation systems that show the location of speed cameras. Those caught can be fined 1,500 euros even if the device is not in use.

I thought the bit about bulbs quite interesting as has been mentioned before. Even if you have spare bulbs who is going to fit it at the side of the road??? most people couldn't, and what if it was an indicator bulb?

I reckon they don't want us over there!

If you are planning on a summer trip to France in your Yeti have a look at this taken from the Mail.

Hmm. It's in The Mail...........................

I thought the bit about bulbs quite interesting as has been mentioned before. Even if you have spare bulbs who is going to fit it at the side of the road??? most people couldn't, and what if it was an indicator bulb?

I reckon they don't want us over there!

Whilst I agree with you, don't forget it applies to all the European motorists in France too.

Even the French car manufacturers don't abide by the ruling. A Picasso has to have the front bumper removed to change a bulb.

The Alcosense breath kits from Halfords are French approved and are only £5 for 2. After November it is a 38 euro fine not to have them, until then it is a warning.

And don't forget every ocupant that gets out of a brocken down vehicle must wear reflective gear, not just the driver.

I always rap my reflective over my seat like a cover so It can be seen, it saves getting stopped for a check.

You must have a deflector on the headlamps unless they are HID and you have set them correctly or the are dual dip for L or RHD.

The speed camera/sat nav thing is interesting. Last time I plugged my Tom Tom into my 'pooter to download updates it whirred and whistled for a while then came up with a message that Tom Tom had deleted all the locations of the French speed cameras to comply with the new law ... to which my reaction was bu**er - if I'd known that was going to happen I wouldn't have plugged in. However, when I got to France three weeks or so ago, the audible warning of the cameras still sounded ... curiously.

No Bob, it bleeped at you when you were approaching a "danger zone", which has nothing to do with speed camera's.......cough................

From their web site:

Is the TomTom Speed Camera service legal?

Back to search results

Most governments and local authorities agree with us that the TomTom Speed Camera service makes driving safer. At TomTom we comply with (local) legislation and where necessary adapt our practice, as explained below.

Changes to the law in France

Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.

Make sure you comply with the law when driving in France.[ more... ]

We are working on a new service for France that warns you about danger zones instead of speed cameras. To keep up-to-date with the latest news about this new service, subscribe to this page by clicking the Notify me link at the end of the page. We'll send you a mail when more information is available.

And going back to the breathalyser's, don't we get discount from this lot:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/NF-Approved-Breathalyser-kit-Pair.html

Aha, they've added that to the site since I plugged in last. Now it all makes perfect sense :think:

The speed camera/sat nav thing is interesting. Last time I plugged my Tom Tom into my 'pooter to download updates it whirred and whistled for a while then came up with a message that Tom Tom had deleted all the locations of the French speed cameras to comply with the new law ... to which my reaction was bu**er - if I'd known that was going to happen I wouldn't have plugged in. However, when I got to France three weeks or so ago, the audible warning of the cameras still sounded ... curiously.

Your TomTom simply did not update the speed camera locations for France. But it did not delete the old ones either, thats why they still work.

You will have to go into the manage POI section and turn off the speed camera warning yourself to be legal in France.

Stay in the UK and avoid the French and their silly traffic laws totally :p

What and miss out on all that lovely cheese and wine?

NON!!

And to be honest their rules are no more onerous as some of ours.

If you think we get it bad in France, you should feel sorry for Motorcyclists he (Nicolas Paul Stéphane Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa) has brought in 20 new motoring laws for 2012 and has openly announced his dislike of motorists.

Your TomTom simply did not update the speed camera locations for France. But it did not delete the old ones either, thats why they still work.

You will have to go into the manage POI section and turn off the speed camera warning yourself to be legal in France.

I'm not turning anything off!

Easy now.......

Nobody is beeing targeted in France.

Going down through France and back on our annual sojourn in Spain, there was a noticeable abscence of Gendarmes on the motorways. No spot-checks and no unusual behaviour of motorists on the Autoroutes.

France seem to have copied the Spanish politeness in advance posting where the radar traps are located, so that you can check your speed well in advance of the roadside cameras. As ususal, the french road warriors travel well above the 130 km/hr limit in small bunches, so if you are inclined to proceed at 140-150 Km/hr, tag onto some of those bunches and follow a few hundred yards behind - you will get ample warning when they all brake at the same time.

Safetyvests and warning triangles are required everywhere in EU and are just common sense, as is the requirement to have all pasengers step behind the safety barriers in case of a breakdown.

Easy now.......

Nobody is beeing targeted in France.

You know us Brits, we love to hate the French. I must admit that on all my trips back and forward from the UK to Ibiza, I have never been stopped in France, only in Spain, the only Gendarmes I saw were in a cafe.

Graham

with you regards wine , cheese, after several weeks without cheddar, french cheeses become somewhat lacking!

Tech yeti

local gendarmes use a restaurant ouvrier close by, they still consume wines with their meals - i wonder if they self test???? --- think not, find a quiet side road and have a snooze more likely!!

I've driven to and through France many, many times and have never ever been stopped by the Gendarmes. When we had the first Golf V5 in 2002 we used to do quite a fair clip in that - light car and a worbling five cylinder with 170 horses does that - but now with the new rules I stick to the limits. Not taken the current V5 to France as it is a truck and the Yeti does the travel duties now. The V5 drinks too much petrol!

My TomTom is very old and don't get updated maps so the speed cameras on it is from a year or two ago - with ALL the (then) French ones on it still. I won't update it again then. hehehe

With the high viz vests just remember you either have to have enough IN the car for everyone to put on before they get out OR they have to stay in the car and the driver has to fetch them from the boot (wearing his) before the passengers can be let out of the car.

It's a bit unfair for the French police to target Yeti drivers like this.

I thought some numpty would reply with an answer like that. Fortunately the rest of the guys are more intelligent and don't resort to sarcasm.

I thought some numpty would reply with an answer like that. Fortunately the rest of the guys are more intelligent and don't resort to sarcasm.

I thought it quite tongue in the cheek actually... But then I like dry humour like that. Maybe some happy pills for you Anzio? :giggle:

I'd have added a smiley but they weren't working for me before today.

Tongue in cheek it was - but always a result to be insulted by a Daily Mail reader. :rofl:

I'd have added a smiley but they weren't working for me before today.

Tongue in cheek it was - but always a result to be insulted by a Daily Mail reader. :rofl:

Steady!!!

It is not the done thing to accuse someone of that!!!

John :giggle:

Hey, it's vicious here in the Yeti section. I felt obliged to change my avatar to Salvador Dali's Great Masturbator after one your number suggested folks with private plates were W4NKR's. :giggle:

Hey, it's vicious here in the Yeti section. I felt obliged to change my avatar to Salvador Dali's Great Masturbator after one your number suggested folks with private plates were W4NKR's. :giggle:

Guilty as charged your honour.