Octavia II FL VRS 1.8TSi ?

I am willing to bet that on a track there wouldn't be much in between the VRS's.

That's exactly where you would see the difference, where the petrol can rev through to the red line and it continues to pull. You can't do that with the CR. If you'd of said at motorway speeds that there wasn't much in it for in gear acceleration then I would be inclined to agree. I can't provide a view on CR vs 1.8 tsi as I've never driven the latter but what I would say is, having owned a CR, that the tsi vrs is quicker through the gears and and generally quicker overall. If you remap the CR it puts it on a more equal footing with a standard tsi, that was my experience.

That's exactly where you would see the difference, where the petrol can rev through to the red line and it continues to pull. You can't do that with the CR. If you'd of said at motorway speeds that there wasn't much in it for in gear acceleration then I would be inclined to agree. I can't provide a view on CR vs 1.8 tsi as I've never driven the latter but what I would say is, having owned a CR, that the tsi vrs is quicker through the gears and and generally quicker overall. If you remap the CR it puts it on a more equal footing with a standard tsi, that was my experience.

Not against the VRS but a relevant comparison I think... With around 4,500 miles on the clock, my standard 1.8tsi engined Yeti was quicker than a well run in dealer demo 170 tdi Yeti. And that was a direct comparison, side by side.... I needed to use the full revs to achieve it however. The TDi did however 'feel' quicker when I jumped into it for a drive, I guess thats down to a slightly smaller rev range with more peak torque? Neither were exactly slow btw, there wasn't a massive amount between them and if I sat on the motorway more of the time I'd be more than happy with the 170. :-) I spent a long time weighing up which to buy so I took into account the type of journeys I do, the common failure points of each engine and the estimated overall running costs over three years. Oh, and remapped, the 1.8tsi is a very very capable motor, certainly quicker than my standard octy 2 litre petrol vrs was as standard, even with having to carry around the additional weight of the 4x4 gubbins and suffering the aerodynamics of a breeze block!

And so it will continue until someone with one actually pits it against the CR that all the 1.8 owners are seemingly too quick off the mark to slate with no actual proof of anything.

Which is better - 1.8TSI or 2.0CR?

There is only one way to find out:

You'd have to compare like with like though, either both manual or both DSG.

Here's one comparison:

http://www.zeperfs.c...el2671-2674.htm

There's a 3rd generation of the 1.8TSI available in Audi's, it has 170PS, 320NM torque and better fuel consumption figures. Is this going to appear in the Octavia? Maybe it will be kept for the Octavia 3.

Edited by Ultima

Here's one comparison:

There's a 3rd generation of the 1.8TSI available in Audi's, it has 170PS, 320NM torque and better fuel consumption figures. Is this going to appear in the Octavia? Maybe it will be kept for the Octavia 3.

Well i have a DSG, so more than happy for a 1.8TSI DSG to pit itself against me.

Looking at that link, from what i can make out, they didn't get a very good 0-60 on the VRS.....perhaps they were trying to launch it like a petrol and end up past the torque band or just sat there doing a burn out. Either way, that 0-60 is way off mine..

Here's one comparison:

Fairly comprehansive and conclusive! Thanks!

Edited by OCScene
  • Like 1

Fairly comprehansive and conclusive! Thanks!

As i say, put your money where your mouth is :p

Had not realised this was how they are sold elsewhere anyone think its a crime against the VRS badge this one?

I like the sunroof though...................all right, I'll go away now............................

• Like 1

As i say, put your money where your mouth is :p

No thanks, Im no racer. If I was Id proberby be driving the TSI VRS. For now ill just go off the industry standard statistics worked out by folk far more clever than you and I! :rofl::giggle:

No thanks, Im no racer. If I was Id proberby be driving the TSI VRS. For now ill just go off the industry standard statistics worked out by folk far more clever than you and I! :rofl::giggle:

Again, someone else who is happy to gloat how much better it is than the CR on paper but wont actually prove it......Oh well, one day i will do the little 'i was right and you were wrong dance' in front of someone.

Again, someone else who is happy to gloat how much better it is than the CR on paper but wont actually prove it......Oh well, one day i will do the little 'i was right and you were wrong dance' in front of someone.

Sorry what did you say? I couldnt hear you, someones running a CR diesel and I couldnt hear myself think........... :giggle:

Sorry what did you say? I couldnt hear you, someones running a CR diesel and I couldnt hear myself think........... :giggle:

You must be confusing yourself with the PD.

• Like 1

I've been in a few CR's, their quieter than PD's but still way noisier than petrols.

And still way off being as quiet as most other manufacturers diesels. Im a diesel fan myself but found the diesels on offer by Skoda at the moment too noisy for me to beintrested in purchasing one.

And still way off being as quiet as most other manufacturers diesels. Im a diesel fan myself but found the diesels on offer by Skoda at the moment too noisy for me to beintrested in purchasing one.

Why, who produces quieter diesels at that price point?

My petrol head mate thought I'd bought a petrol when I first got mine until he saw the rev counter.

Must admit my CR was quiet. Had an Insignia 2.0D sri as a hire car this week and it wasn't quiet. It also wasn't very quick, wouldn't accelerate up hills in 6th or 5th!

Why, who produces quieter diesels at that price point?

My petrol head mate thought I'd bought a petrol when I first got mine until he saw the rev counter.

Yes... my friend thought I was driving a TDI when I picked up in the TSi the other day.... from the pull that is :-)

Yes, this is what we get in India ... This is all, no options to up spec in any way or manner whatsoever.

Also I do very much agree that this car is in no way deserving a vRs badge.

BUT, the very fact that we even have something that has a vRs badge is a big deal on it s own. Here in India the concept of performance cars on a budget has not even seen the light of day yet. People are still obsessed about mileage. diesels outsell petrol nearly 5 to 1.

If you own a Sk?da in India it is assumed that it is a diesel, a petrol skoda is a surprise. So for the few in a billion who want that little bit of performance within a budget look upto the vRs. It's got a puny 1.8 tsi engine but I don't hear anyone saying that it is slow.

Even with these low specs.. As far as I know the vRs is still not selling in India ....

Sk?da has just did what they did to the MK1 vRs we had here (we didn't get the mK2 vRs).. They put xenons, sunroof and sport seats and called it the Rs ..people went gaga over it the first time around .. So maybe skoda thought why change a winning formula.!!

Now I don't know why I have blabbered so much about the vRs.. But maybe just want to say that even though it's not deserving the vRs badge ... At least it's here & we really can t complain about that.

• Like 1

Well i have a DSG, so more than happy for a 1.8TSI DSG to pit itself against me.

Looking at that link, from what i can make out, they didn't get a very good 0-60 on the VRS.....perhaps they were trying to launch it like a petrol and end up past the torque band or just sat there doing a burn out. Either way, that 0-60 is way off mine..

Driving it off a cliff does not count or with a tailing hurricane. Tell us again which planet are you doing these runs on?

Driving it off a cliff does not count or with a tailing hurricane. Tell us again which planet are you doing these runs on?

What runs? No one is brave enough to try.

As for my 0-60, you know full well how that was done and where on official timed equipment.

Would you like a bet on that?

Still waiting for a 1.8tsi owner to do a drag with me after lol failed to put his money where is mouth is.

I'll take you any day, today I wiped the floor with a A6 3.0Tdi in a qiuck race acceleration, I'm still on winter 16" steels :)

Did a quick 0-60 before coming home with Torque app + GPS.

I'm a few thousand miles from you, so don't get your hopes high :giggle:

au8ih5.png

Edited by CEPi
  • Like 1

On behalf of UK Briskoda contributors,thank you to Insane79 and PZ1811 who took the time to write explanations and attempt to get us back on track. PZ1811 highlights exactly why the car has been targeted at the market. Perhaps the old diesel/petrol discussions merit a separate link on this site and even have a Fight Club named Santa Pod and the Filling Station where we can lay down just who's fastest or ekes the most miles out of a tank.

• Like 2

I'll take you any day, today I wiped the floor with a A6 3.0Tdi in a qiuck race acceleration, I'm still on winter 16" steels :)

Did a quick 0-60 before coming home with Torque app + GPS.

I'm a few thousand miles from you, so don't get your hopes high :giggle:

That would be your stage 2 tsi? Bit of a pointless comparison tbh. :yawn: :zzz:

I think the Indian vRS will be fast enough considering the amount of bicycles and Auto rickshaws in Goa and the terrible roads, I was scared for my life!

Is this turning into mine is bigger than yours? Just like the thread I read on is a diesel worthy of the vrs badge. Some of the posts on here are just getting a tad childish. Maybe we do need the separate 'fight' section!

• Like 1