What other cars did you consider before buying a Superb?

Hi all,

I'm trying to persuade SWMBO that the next car should be a Superb. I'm pretty much already sold on it, but she is less keen and is going to need some pursuading.

Her main objection at present is the size (length) of the car. It will be replacing the Passat which is 6.5cm shorter so more or less comparable, but she would like a smaller car. Yet she hasn't put forward any alternatives. She says that the length makes it difficult to get in and out of parking spaces as by the time you've reversed out far enough to get some lock on, you're nearly into the row of car's behind due to the car's length. I must say the parking in our local multi-storey is particularly tight and I've seen other Superb owners struggling to park.

So my question to all you Superb owners is what other cars did you consider before deciding on a Superb?

For me the quality and price makes the Superb an easy choice. I'm hoping once she see's what the competition has to offer she will come to the same conclusion.

Nothing else was in the same league when I ordered mine, however after I had been jerked around by Broadspeed I considered cancelling the car (build and at the dealers - they just couldn't / wouldn't deliver it!!).

I looked into A4 / A6 Avanti's, and the Passat Estate, but I wasn't prepare to pay an extra 10K to get less kit on an A6 and the A4 was not big enough, the Passat although a good car is no where near as good as the Superb IMO.

Reverse parking the Superb is a good idea. Driving straight in just makes it much harder to get out.

+1 :blush:

SE and above have reversing sensors who make reverse parking a breeze, and the Superb isnt as wide as some cars the same length, which helps.

My final short list last year was

Octavia Elegance Estate 1.6CR

Toyota Avensis 2l Deisel Estate

Long list included

Passat

Mondeo

Insignia

Mazda 6

None of which came close on car per £.

Superb easily outgunned Avensis in the end, and offered more comfort and better ride than Octy for slightly less money

Tell her that a car with front and rear parking sensors is much easier to manoevre that a smaller car without. You'll still have plenty of change left over after speccing front sensors and park assist.

Ultimately it's still shorter than an A6 or 5-series. It just looks big.

Tell her that a car with front and rear parking sensors is much easier to manoevre that a smaller car without. You'll still have plenty of change left over after speccing front sensors and park assist.

Ultimately it's still shorter than an A6 or 5-series. It just looks big.

I seem to recall the Superb Twindoor is the same width as a 3 Series, but almost the length of a 5 Series. Reverse parking almost always makes sense; you'll use less fuel exiting a parking space by driving out forwards, rather than reversing.

If I could have had the same kit levels and metallic paint as a Superb SE, I'd possibly have chosen a Passat Estate. The Passat ride (compared against a GL Superb) was better, nicer gearbox (6 speed) action, larger fuel tank (70 litres) and full size spare wheel as standard.

Mercedes 320cdi estate-BMW 535 and mondeo titanium estate.Show her how the park assist works on a test drive that should convince her. bill

Octavia: good, but I don't like the look of the hatchback and the Superb is better valu e than the Octi estate.

Exeo Estate: great looks, good value used, but much smaller in rear and boot.

If I could have had the same kit levels and metallic paint as a Superb SE, I'd possibly have chosen a Passat Estate. The Passat ride (compared against a GL Superb) was better, nicer gearbox (6 speed) action, larger fuel tank (70 litres) and full size spare wheel as standard.

That's interesting. It's the Greenline I'm interested in (although I'm yet to test drive one) and I was hoping it would be at least as good if not better ride that the Highline Passat it will be replacing. The 70 litre tank in the Passat is nice, although it now costs just shy of £100 to fill up, and I guess carrying that heavy full sized spare wheel around is good for at least a few MPG.

TBH I doubt I will be able to properly judge the car on a short test drive and persuading a dealer to let you have one for a longer period of time is like getting blood from a stone.

Hyundai i40 (very nice, just the dealer didn't do a good discount)

That's one option I've not yet looked at. We did look at an i30 estate at the time we bought the Octy estate on the scappage scheme - it was no contest in favour of the Octy.

Hi Phil, I've got a 2011 Superb Greenline in elegance spec. My previous car was a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.0 petrol AWD. The Legacy was an excellent car and I had seriously considered their new model which now has the diesel option available. However in terms of space, mpg, spec and comfort the Legacy wasn't even at the races.

I have not found the 1.6 diesel underpowered, you can shift along with efficient use of the gearbox if you need to, but you'll be happier cruising.

If I was being picky I would say the tyre noise on the Superb Greenline is a little louder than I was expecting but I'll be changing the Conti Ecos soon, and the nose is a little low so watch for speed bumps. All in all though an excellent car and it will take a lot for me not to buy another.

By the way the parking sensors means its easier to park that my Legacy was.

Mazda 6 2.2 diesel estate ran a close second, and a much better finance deal, but simply not enough rear legroom.

Considered Mondeo estate, but dealers simply couldn't care less and the price worked out more expensive than the big Skud for a car I didn't rate anywhere near as highly as the motoring press.

Everything else a non-runner.

The Pug 508 Estate is worth consideration. I drove a 1.6Hdi manual saloon around Millbrook's Alpine Circuit last June and was impressed with the engine (112Ps) and the comfortable ride. Although it didn't handle as well as a Mondeo Estate, it was on a par with a Superb.

due to a bad experience with available car i actualy had a 140ps highline passat for a couple of months.

the superb is much better. get the elegance spec :)

I traded down from a 5 series estate and was looking at Audi and Mercs before room and sense took control

Go for elegance spec as it is worth it in the long run. I have park assist and it is magical but I have only used it a few times. Front and rear sensors though are a must

Edited by PAW3001

I traded down from a 5 series estate

I find it interesting you say you say you traded 'down'

I assume you mean the 5 series that they've stopped making now (E60), and I can't think of one way that that's better than the skoda

I have an E39 5 series and in some ways it is a step down. The leather on the E39 is better, as is the carpet. The engines are more powerful too but there are also negatives, almost all revolving around cost.

The 5 series should be a better car in every respect as its nearly twice the price. The fact that it's so much more expensive whilst not being a clear winner in many areas says alot for the Superb.

Also thought about an Octy or Yeti, plus VW Passatt or Tiguan. I had an Exeo and wasn't my kind of car so it didn't come into the running, as it was too small and too thirsty, in spite of having the same engine as I've had in a number of cars. Briefly thought about a Freelander but looked at the prices and that was that.

To all those who said 'Just reverse park', have you ever tried to load your shopping into the boot at a supermarket car park when some bell end has left you 5mm space to work with?

You can't leave loads of space behind because then your nose sticks out into the line of fire of the blind pensioner/stressed mum/angry van driver looking for their own space and not watching your bonnet.

The Superb's fine for getting out of car parks but it does tend to stress the CV joints with the weight of the car and the short slow turns needed.

Get a Mini Countryman :smirk:

Another Mondeo estate titanium or titanium x. Passat estate. Decided against Ford as wanted a change and the ride in VW sport estate much too firm for me. Chose Greenline elegance estate - had 4 day test drive in S estate and would have been quite happy to keep it.