Columbus unit questions

Dinski

Hi , I'm thinking of buying a Columbus unit to replace my bolero, the thing is my yeti is only 8 months old, do you guys think I should even bother?

Is it worth swapping?

And if so is it easy to fit? And also would the sat nav system work in my YETI SE?

I heard it could even play DVDs not sure how true that is.

Anyway thanks in advance for any replys

It is easy to replace the Bolero with the Columbus - see Great_Yeti's guide on how to remove the existing radio.

You would also need a new fascia as the one you have now is not in the correct shape for the Columbus.

You would also need to sort out the GPS antenna - which is not too hard for a close to factory finish.

To me, the main problem with the Columbus is the placement of the position - hard to see when you are driving, but I guess you can look at the Maxidot instead.

I would say definitely worth swapping - I did in my Octy and personally think it I'd really good. I also added. Once control which makes it a doodle to use for all features.

It is however down to personal choice and preference

(and yes you can play DVDs when stationary)

Can be fitted DIY but as I wanted to be sure I had mine fitted for me as I also had OEM Bluetooth fitted at the same time. Plus added voice control and video in motion - as you can probably tell I am very happy with it :-)

Also meant I got a full three year warranty on everything ;-)

Can be fitted DIY but as I wanted to be sure I had mine fitted for me as I also had OEM Bluetooth fitted at the same time. Plus added voice control and video in motion - as you can probably tell I am very happy with it :-)

Also meant I got a full three year warranty on everything ;-)

Did you get all this done at a dealers?

Bit cheeky but do you mind if I ask what it all cost fitted?

Thanks again

No not a main dealer

I used a company called "hazzydayz". Not the cheapest out there but all the kit was brand new, ordered specifically for my car. First class installation, including the new trim that is required. All fully coded to my car and full demo of everything before I left.

Install did of course include latest maps etc and everything fully guaranteed for three years (I had Columbus, OEM Bluetooth, voice control and video in motion all done at the same time. I got a "package deal" which I negotiated.

Would rather not share the price as it all comes down to personal negotiation.

Give them a try - you never know - I was certainly very happy with the deal and the work done and will go back there again if I decide I want anything else adding :-)

Thanks to all, and thanks mike I will give them a call tomorrow. Cheers

Ps is the DVD free part you mentioned while in motion.

Columbus fitting is a 5 minute job all you need is a t15 forx screwdriver the only problem you will have is coding it in to work properly i did mine myself as i have the VCDS cable.

bluetooth is a easy fit only take a few hours and the balls to pull your new car apart

the gps location is easy just put it under your dashboard storage compartment as this comes out with the help of the same torx 15 driver

Ps is the DVD free part you mentioned while in motion.

If the screen is visible to the driver then it would be illegal for it to be used as a DVD player whilst in motion.

If the screen is visible to the driver then it would be illegal for it to be used as a DVD player whilst in motion.

One could argue that it isn't as you have to look down and to the left on R/H drive models, but I would not argue that point with Mr Plod :giggle: so yes, being able to watch DVD's in motion is illegal in the UK. The Range Rover gets round it is a very special and expensive way, but alas, us mere mortals can't afford one of those. (well I can't anyway :rofl: )

One could argue that it isn't as you have to look down and to the left on R/H drive models, but I would not argue that point with Mr Plod :giggle: so yes, being able to watch DVD's in motion is illegal in the UK. The Range Rover gets round it is a very special and expensive way, but alas, us mere mortals can't afford one of those. (well I can't anyway :rofl: )

You would lose the argument--it just has to be visible from the driving position--the law is a good one-- who wants to drive down the motorway with some idiot with one eye on a movie--there are enough fools on the phone already! :sweat: See weekend Telegraph motoring this week, you are 3 times more dangerous on the phone, than you are at the drink drive limit when you are driving. People are[ you wont believe this] updating their Facebook accounts as they drive along.

Right I'll get off my hobbyhorse now.

So why go for the columbus--you can't use the DVD legally. You have a GPS, which if it goes wrong will cost you a fortune to fix and/or update. The Bolero has a built in 6cd changer, not separate, and anyway you can put 100's of hours of music on an SD card=no brainer for me.

Edited by yetiscot

You have a GPS, which if it goes wrong will cost you a fortune to fix and/or update. The Bolero has a built in 6cd changer, not separate, and anyway you can put 100's of hours of music on an SD card=no brainer for me.

My columbus unit cost 360 off of ebay and came with a gps antenna which to buy are about 20 quid and is placed easily accessible under the dash storage tray

so if either of those two broke it would not be the end of the earth to replace if needed.

i fail to see whats going to break on our satnav columbus which could also break on a bolero unit.

And if we want to really split hairs the biggest failure/break on car stereos is cd multi changers jamming, seizing, burning out etc etc which the bolero is.

I can not fault my columbus the sat nav is spot on the bluetooth is crystal clear and my media-in connection that i have also put in is awesome.

But obviously bluetooth and media in can also be put onto the bolero.

Edited by Yetigreenline2
  • Like 1

As you live in west yorkshire try these http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk in Bradford,they did my Yeti ,took about 1 hour to fit cost £600 they enabled the DVD bit for free.

Well I called them and they quoted me £700 fitted, I said no because I know of someone who got the same for £600.

Oh well never mind.

Thanks for everyone's help.

You would lose the argument--it just has to be visible from the driving position--the law is a good one-- who wants to drive down the motorway with some idiot with one eye on a movie--there are enough fools on the phone already! :sweat: See weekend Telegraph motoring this week, you are 3 times more dangerous on the phone, than you are at the drink drive limit when you are driving. People are[ you wont believe this] updating their Facebook accounts as they drive along.

Right I'll get off my hobbyhorse now.

So why go for the columbus--you can't use the DVD legally. You have a GPS, which if it goes wrong will cost you a fortune to fix and/or update. The Bolero has a built in 6cd changer, not separate, and anyway you can put 100's of hours of music on an SD card=no brainer for me.

There is no argument. I would never endorse watching a DVD on the move. My point was that the display is in the wrong place for use as a sat nav. The IAM have also done a study on poking a mobile phone - "don't poke me I'm driving" is the headline on their latest magazine.

This is my second car with a columbus unit and I would not willing give it up. It is a brilliant unit. I use it every day and rarely go to the same place twice, and see several clients a day. I have used Tom Tom stand alone units in the past, as well as Palm Treo's, Windows Mobile and also the iPhone. I come back every time to my trusty Columbus. Always works. always spot on. I don't have to remove it from the car every time I stop and clean the window. I can also see it as all the screens on the smaller devices are too small for me. I have used brodit mounts and other makes. I personally prefer the oem un cluttered look. I don't think I have anything on my hard disk as the SD card works fine.

I have not heard of anybody having problems with their unit, but through the laws of averages there must be some.

We are yet again wandering off Yeti specific topics.

There is a proper section for this here

What came to my mind is the not inconsiderable cost of 6/700 pounds or so to gain an in car gps capability--call me old fashioned, but that's a lot of money

Again what also came to mind was the conversation I overheard in a VW dealership when a customer asked how much an update disc was for his in car gps--that was a lot of money as well--about 3 Tom Tom's as I remember

I was expressing my point of view that as a value-for-money change it just wasn't worth it as far as I was concerned

I have a 5 year old Garmin GPS which does what it says on the tin with lifetime map updates for £95 or so--ok the screen is a bit small I suppose and it does leave a mark on the windscreen, but it is perfectly adequate--and I can transfer it from car to car

I went at the last minute for the Columbus as I thought the integrated SatNav would be more convenient than a stand alone one.

However with hindsight I would have spent the money on a top of the range TomTom with traffic subscription.

Compared with my basic TomTom XL-

Pros: Nice bright display

Built in - no messy clamps and removal when you park.

Turn instruction in MFD in front you.

Cons:

Even the latest v8 map isnt as upto date as my TomTom which cost less than £50 for a years updates.

The builtin display isnt in front of you so cant be glanced at easily. Important if you want to check a complicated junction or road layout.

I miss the warnings when exceeding the speed limit ( I know satnav speed limits not that reliable)

You cannot enter all your destinations indoors at your leisure.

Not easy to add POIs .

Menu etc not intuitive like the TomTom.

Edited by rarrar

I went at the last minute for the Columbus as I thought the integrated SatNav would be more convenient than a stand alone one.

However with hindsight I would have spent the money on a top of the range TomTom with traffic subscription.

Compared with my basic TomTom XL-

Pros: Nice bright display

Built in - no messy clamps and removal when you park.

Turn instruction in MFD in front you.

Cons:

Even the latest v8 map isnt as upto date as my TomTom which cost less than £50 for a years updates.

The builtin display isnt in front of you so cant be glanced at easily. Important if you want to check a complicated junction or road layout.

I miss the warnings when exceeding the speed limit ( I know satnav speed limits not that reliable)

You cannot enter all your destinations indoors at your leisure.

Not easy to add POIs .

Menu etc not intuitive like the TomTom.

I agree with most, but have you tried this website? VW Labs where you set up your destinations from home, put them on a SD card and load into your Columbus.

Re intuitive - it's a bit like moving from windoze to Max OSX, it is what you are used to. I personally have never found the Tom Tom for iPhone app intuitive, and you have to scroll down miles to get to the option I use most - postcode... :thumbdown: .

I sold my TomTom Go 720 years ago.

Have been on the VW Labs site - after "click here to install Navsync" and getting "strating Installation" message nothing happens.

Tried several times using different browsers.

I agree using a SD card would be good if I could find a working method. The Columbus manual is not helpful and my dealer hasnt been able to get any help form Skoda either yet.

Anyone had luck using this recently ?

re: Intuitive - yes it is what one gets used to , I suppose some of the terminology e.g. "VIP" for favourites and the lack of a good manual dont help.

Just set it up..... a little bit fiddly to use, but it does seem to work well.

As an aside, if you select your vehicle as a Tiguan whilst registering, you can access various thumbnail guides to using its version of Maxidot to program a few of the more basic user selectable settings on the car. Several features are just the same as the Yeti of course, and are written in plain English not translated from Czech via Mongolian!