FUBAR

Getting there myself I think , Was out tonight and just dont enjoy it , toomany hazards nowadays , old age I think

Give over Pete, you just need look further than your front wheel mate :), or get an HD......

I rode bikes before I drove cars, was my old mode of transport for 2 years.

I started in 2006 at the age of 16 with a 1989 Simson S50. Looking back it was very slow and not all that reliable but massive fun at that age... did 3,000 miles in 8 months.

67496_10150319145350145_4193127_n.jpg

*notice Papa Duck's vRS...

That was swapped for an MZ TS125 with my dad's good friend. He then went on to rework the Simson and it'll now do 50mph!!

73700_10150319142095145_1793397_n.jpg

Had that for around 6 months - 5,000 miles. I passed my test on it, dropped it and used to take my girlfriend all over on it. In the end the barrel seals went and it got put away in the back of the garage. Remember that friend of my dad's; he's just finished restoring it to tip top condition. Looks lovely now!

So after the 125 had its last tantrum I hauled my dad's old Supa5 out of the shed. Stuck a new battery and some petrol in it and that was it, on the road again after 11 years (I didn't even change the tyres!).

73468_10150319139175145_4417563_n.jpg

Had some fun on that bike! I recall having it off the clocks at 85mph overtaking bemused car drivers. Haha. Fell off it too - girlfriend has never fully forgiven me! Anyway, that too went the same way as the 125 and stopped running. Back of garage and time/money constraints mean it is still there. That was in 2008 and I didn't ride anything again until earlier this year when I bought this, a 2005 Yamaha YBR125.

428583_10151453657095145_1016560030_n.jpg

I bought it for the missus to get some practice on before passing her test. Its a cracking little thing, but too slow. Starts all the time and runs regular as clock work too. I did a bit of greenlaning on it (accidently) and considering its a road bike, it performed excellently.

So now I pressing the missus to do her test before the end of the year so we can sell it and get something we can both enjoy. And thats where you guys come in - I need some advice. I want something that'll be quick - but not mad; around 500cc. It has to be relatively light and small for the missus to cope - she's only 5ft2in. I'd rather it was reliable too as I'm not so good with the spanners. And the important thing, I don't like faired bikes, old skool styling ftw - hence nearly buying a Kawasaki Zephyr before. Any recommendations - I want to spend around £1500.

Until a few weeks ago the proud owner of a Suzuki GSX-R 750 K7 (TT-Edition).

I sold it for £4½k, now regretting it :'( and looking for a new toy, I quite like to look of the '12 CBR1000RR Fireblade, but at £12k it's going to take some saving up, so may have to wait until about August before I can commit to it.

Was thinking of the Ducati Panigale but the insurance premium of £1k + £1k excess killed the idea stone dead.

I bought it for the missus to get some practice on before passing her test. Its a cracking little thing, but too slow. Starts all the time and runs regular as clock work too. I did a bit of greenlaning on it (accidently) and considering its a road bike, it performed excellently.

So now I pressing the missus to do her test before the end of the year so we can sell it and get something we can both enjoy. And thats where you guys come in - I need some advice. I want something that'll be quick - but not mad; around 500cc. It has to be relatively light and small for the missus to cope - she's only 5ft2in. I'd rather it was reliable too as I'm not so good with the spanners. And the important thing, I don't like faired bikes, old skool styling ftw - hence nearly buying a Kawasaki Zephyr before. Any recommendations - I want to spend around £1500.

Have ridden a fair few bikes over the years, but to be honest my current one Suzuki Gladius, is probably one of the easiest and most enjoyable to ride that I've owned. I'm 5ft 7 so a bit taller than your missus, but to be fair the bike is reasonably low and with a few adjustments sure would be fit for purpose. Not sure how cheaply you can pick them up as I guess they're still fairly new on the scene.

The SV650 is always thought of a good girl's bike, but obviously has fairing and a more sporty riding position.

Personally I've always preferred Naked bikes. - loved my old Yam XJ550 ( quite heavy , but had 4 into 1 exhaust which helped) . The Kawa ER5 was a very easy bike to ride, but not that much fun in truth. Had a Honda CB500 ABS - great bike too.

On the Older bike front - but possibility more of a compromise on reliability - the old Suzuki GT 250s were great fun, and infinitely tunable. The X7 or X5 were a fav of mine.

Hope this helps - oh and there's also a good bike club for us girls called " Curvey Riders" who organise fun meets and events :thumbup:

Happy Biking :rock:

Give over Pete, you just need look further than your front wheel mate :), or get an HD......

Nah dont do hardlys , you coming over then Len, we can go to the new J+S, its pretty impressive

Started out with,

1. Honda C70.

2. Suzuki B120.

3. TS125.

4. Honda Dream (250cc model).

5. Suzuki GS 550E (Electric start only model).

6. Suzuki X7.

7. Several field bikes stretching over several years.

8. Until I finally got my pride and joy a Honda VFR800F (PRE V-Tec model).

Sadly the VFR tried to kill me and due to just how close it was, I promised my wife and children I wouldn't buy another. There lies the problem, I've had bikes for nearly 35 years now and loved them, now I have recovered from the injuries, I want another.

I'd always promised myself a big BMW but, I don't have the b@lls to upset Swmbo or my kids. So, all I do is look these days. :blush: ( and dream)

Sorry no pics available!

• Like 1

I rode bikes before I drove cars, was my old mode of transport for 2 years.

I started in 2006 at the age of 16 with a 1989 Simson S50. Looking back it was very slow and not all that reliable but massive fun at that age... did 3,000 miles in 8 months.

67496_10150319145350145_4193127_n.jpg

*notice Papa Duck's vRS...

That was swapped for an MZ TS125 with my dad's good friend. He then went on to rework the Simson and it'll now do 50mph!!

73700_10150319142095145_1793397_n.jpg

Had that for around 6 months - 5,000 miles. I passed my test on it, dropped it and used to take my girlfriend all over on it. In the end the barrel seals went and it got put away in the back of the garage. Remember that friend of my dad's; he's just finished restoring it to tip top condition. Looks lovely now!

So after the 125 had its last tantrum I hauled my dad's old Supa5 out of the shed. Stuck a new battery and some petrol in it and that was it, on the road again after 11 years (I didn't even change the tyres!).

73468_10150319139175145_4417563_n.jpg

Had some fun on that bike! I recall having it off the clocks at 85mph overtaking bemused car drivers. Haha. Fell off it too - girlfriend has never fully forgiven me! Anyway, that too went the same way as the 125 and stopped running. Back of garage and time/money constraints mean it is still there. That was in 2008 and I didn't ride anything again until earlier this year when I bought this, a 2005 Yamaha YBR125.

428583_10151453657095145_1016560030_n.jpg

Nice biking career so far got to get you up off the wee 125's though 500 is a nice place to go but my vote would be for the SV650 or CB500 just as Sarah said above fantastic choices and not a crazy upgrade on power a booming V twin would be such a difference!

• Like 1

Until a few weeks ago the proud owner of a Suzuki GSX-R 750 K7 (TT-Edition).

I sold it for £4½k, now regretting it :'( and looking for a new toy, I quite like to look of the '12 CBR1000RR Fireblade, but at £12k it's going to take some saving up, so may have to wait until about August before I can commit to it.

Was thinking of the Ducati Panigale but the insurance premium of £1k + £1k excess killed the idea stone dead.

Why sell the Gixxer? I still miss me Gixxer 1000 was an amazing bike. I was going to get a brand new blade last year but dealer annoyed me so told him to go poke himself and then got the option of the ZZR1400 with all the big power mods done to it and a hell of a lot cheaper! Glad I didn't as the 2012 blade looks much nicer would have been gutted. If you fancy a ZZR1400 cough cough you know where to try for some proper grunt and low price tag/mileage. :D

Started out with,

1. Honda C70.

2. Suzuki B120.

3. TS125.

4. Honda Dream (250cc model).

5. Suzuki GS 550E (Electric start only model).

6. Suzuki X7.

7. Several field bikes stretching over several years.

8. Until I finally got my pride and joy a Honda VFR800F (PRE V-Tec model).

Sadly the VFR tried to kill me and due to just how close it was, I promised my wife and children I wouldn't buy another. There lies the problem, I've had bikes for nearly 35 years now and loved them, now I have recovered from the injuries, I want another.

I'd always promised myself a big BMW but, I don't have the b@lls to upset Swmbo or my kids. So, all I do is look these days. :blush: ( and dream)

Sorry no pics available!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO PICS? :punch: Gutted you have been pulled out of the game, you see so many leave for the same reasons but over time the itch that never goes away seems to draw a good few back home :hi: .

I've had a couple, but I'm getting far to old and slow for such things :giggle:

Been anywhere far on the GS? Never had a shot on one but would love too never before in the field of 2 wheeledness has a bike owed so much to Charlie Boorman and that other bloke :giggle:

Now I think I have caught up with the thread I shall post what I popped in for a very entertaining video of some off roading well green lane style on a very inappropriate bike a nice GSXR1000 :peek: Enjoy.

• Like 3

You've got to be kidding me....green laning on a gixer thou lol.

Is that you in the video, if it is then you sir are an absolute legend :rock:

Btw glad to hear the ZZR fixed, what was the problem after all?

You've got to be kidding me....green laning on a gixer thou lol.

Is that you in the video, if it is then you sir are an absolute legend :rock:

Btw glad to hear the ZZR fixed, what was the problem after all?

Not me lol just a cool vid someone posted on a biker forum I grace with my presence thought it was so funny. Looking at that blokes other vlogs on youtube entertaining guy, I was a loyal follower of svengali until earlier in the year (RIP) this baron guy might be my new fav. Check out his blade short shifter video OMG it sounds emotional I need one NOW.

Oh I forgot to post in here about bike woops I had threads on it in many bike forums lol missed Briski out. Sub throttle ac****or was stuck in fully open position hehe (stiff) lubbed and job done. likely that it had never been fully opened before and tbh its not a bike you can twist it all the way around unless your pushing mach 175+ without front wanting to come up and I had just opened it fully before I saw warnings.

32Deg C here today and I went out for a ride (full leathers/gear) melted and soaked with sweat but had a good time. One not so good moment when a car decided to pull out on me from a side road which caused some heavy braking and a twitch from back followed by a telling off for the lady who didn't bother to look until she heard me lock back wheel for a second. Video to follow of that once youtube sorts its life out.

One blind Dutch woman gurrrrrrrr doesn't sound as dramatic as it was but it was maximum braking inc some locking up.

Been anywhere far on the GS? Never had a shot on one but would love too never before in the field of 2 wheeledness has a bike owed so much to Charlie Boorman and that other bloke :giggle:

It's been about a bit, I never bought it for Charlie and Ewbiewan, but becuase of the deal I got and it's still one of the best all rounders out there.

I did Holland, Germany, nipped over to Poland and dropped to the Nurburgring earlier this year, it's 2 months old now and done 4K. The new twin cam motor is a hoot as well, much livelier than the pre 2010 motors.

Next year I am hoping to get on a tour to Alaska being organised on another forum, and am off to Normandie in a few weeks.

Here's a bit of footage from the GS at Kyffhauser, Fully loaded with panniers / top box and tank bag, was a lot of fun and a lot of arm pumping by the time I reached the bottom

https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/rsrc.php/v1/y2/r/5l8_EVv_jyW.swf?v=10150842067782396&ev=0

trying to embed from iphone fail :)

Edited by fluffmeister

It's been about a bit, I never bought it for Charlie and Ewbiewan, but becuase of the deal I got and it's still one of the best all rounders out there.

I did Holland, Germany, nipped over to Poland and dropped to the Nurburgring earlier this year, it's 2 months old now and done 4K. The new twin cam motor is a hoot as well, much livelier than the pre 2010 motors.

Next year I am hoping to get on a tour to Alaska being organised on another forum, and am off to Normandie in a few weeks.

Good man I am so so so pleased to hear you arte not using it to pop to Asda like a lot of people seem to be doing on them. I really want a go on one but the brand new prices are flipping high and I can't justify buying one while saving for a house so will have to just look elsewhere. As I am sticking to roads my fav all rounder was my old bike the ZZR1200 looking for another at moment liked it more than the ZZR1400 I have now :(

Here's a few of my recents, I passed my test in 1980 something on my RD250DX and have never been without a bike since, sometimes lucky enough to have 2 or 3 in the garage but those days are gone :)

Tiger 1050

4705643643_83fa1d3252_b.jpg

IMAG0054 by Mr Fluffmeister, on Flickr

Z1000

3696722417_54fea88d5f_b.jpg

IMG_0232 by Mr Fluffmeister, on Flickr

GS

badgrund.jpg

ZX12R

252133_10150241754162396_700952395_7800624_2673404_n-1.jpg

First Mille

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

Second Mille

P1000951.jpg

Zed on Tour with my mate on his Moriwaki Storm

DSC00207.jpg

S3

P1000240.jpg

S3 and XR600 lurking

P1000236.jpg

VOR 530 SME

DSC00215_JPG.jpg

Z750

DSCF0058.jpg

Could go on, but won't bore you anymore LOL

Edited by fluffmeister
  • Like 1

Here's a few of my recents, I passed my test in 1980 something on my RD250DX and have never been without a bike since, sometimes lucky enough to have 2 or 3 in the garage but those days are gone :)

Tiger 1050

I officially am jealous now I hope you are pleased with yourself!

• Like 1

The SV650 is a V-twin isn't it? I was looking at them before because I didn't fancy a "common" in-line 4...? I liked the look of them too.

Yep V-twins - just depends on preference on styling whether you prefer the SV650s or Gladius.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1DLwGsI-NO4/T1ibHkOaNmI/AAAAAAAAC7I/8I0R8GOSYpc/s400/2012+Suzuki+SV650S.jpg or

http://www.motorturn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010-Suzuki-Gladius-SFV-650-Red-Edition.jpg

I prefer the Naked Gladius - though have to confess at speed into a headwind a screen/fairing is an asset

DSC00215_JPG.jpg

That must have been wicked fun fluff, how was it for reliability and parts?

Always fancied one of these or a Vertemati S501 once i get rid of the DRZ....or a totally sorted SXV 550 :rock:

Tiger 1050

Z1000

3696722417_54fea88d5f_b.jpg

IMG_0232 by Mr Fluffmeister, on Flickr

GS

badgrund.jpg

ZX12R

252133_10150241754162396_700952395_7800624_2673404_n-1.jpg

First Mille

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

Second Mille

P1000951.jpg

Zed on Tour with my mate on his Moriwaki Storm

DSC00207.jpg

S3

P1000240.jpg

S3 and XR600 lurking

P1000236.jpg

VOR 530 SME

DSC00215_JPG.jpg

Z750

DSCF0058.jpg

Could go on, but won't bore you anymore LOL

KEEP GOING! Nice clean bikes and a garage too so unfair!