Yeti - Westfalia detachable towbar question

BossFox

I've had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted to the Yeti.

But I have a problem.

On my trailer, which has braked axles, there is an emergency braking cable that I used to attach to a designated loop on the back of the Land Rover.

The Westfalia towbar has no location to attach the emergency braking cable.

I can't just loop the cable round and attach it to itself as I am not sure that is legal. The trailer supplier told me it is not.

In an incident when the trailer comes off the cable could slide off the towbar.

So what I am wondering is:

Is there any reason why I can't get a loop welded onto the towbar to do the job?

Why on earth doesn't the towbar come with this if it's a legal requirement to have an attached emergency braking cable on a trailer with braked axles and the Yeti is rated to pull 2000kg?

Get a 'D' shackle slightly larger in diam than the bar, its demountable, wouldn't cause questions if not welded(welding may invalidate the towbar integrity(?)) and its an easy simple solution!

The breakaway cable is designed to break after applying the trailer brake, or if an unbraked job, within the carrying/gross weight of the trailer,maintain a connection with the towing vehicle as a loose trailer careering along the road could cause all sorts of mayhem!

salut

I feel sure this has been debated in great detail on this forum before and seem to remember pictures were posted showing a breakaway cable anchor point that clamped to the rear cross member. It should have been fitted as part of the installation.

One example of an add-on cable mounting point:

http://www.camperlan...able-mount.html

That is for fitting to a bolt-on tow bar, not a removeable one.

BF, there is a specific Skoda fitment for just this use, part number is:

5L0056705

I've got one that I still haven't managed to fit!!

And according to the C & C Club the looping of the cable over the ball is NOT illegal, just not advised.

I simply loop the breakaway cable around the swanneck, and having had a braked trailer detach at around 20mph can confirm that it works perfectly well in applying the brakes to the trailer prior to the cable snapping.

Having seen the Skoda part and description, it would only really be suitable for unbraked very lightweight trailers to possibly try to slow down any detached trailer immediately prior to the breakaway cable snapping.

5L0056705.jpg

Secondary Coupling

Part Number: 5L0056705

Suitable For: Yeti 2009>

Secondary coupling bracket to enable towing of trailers below 75kgs that are unbraked, designed to fit with genuine accessory tow bars. This coupling provides a dedicated eyelet for the emergency brake cable

RRP: £10.00

All prices are inclusive of VAT but do not include retailer fitting costs. Please contact your local retailer.

I simply loop the breakaway cable around the swanneck, and having had a braked trailer detach at around 20mph can confirm that it works perfectly well in applying the brakes to the trailer prior to the cable snapping.

Having seen the Skoda part and description, it would only really be suitable for unbraked very lightweight trailers to possibly try to slow down any detached trailer immediately prior to the breakaway cable snapping.

5L0056705.jpg

I did look at this, but didn't bother as I had a suspicion that you have to remove the bumper to fit it as I don't think there's enough room to get it on the main bracket. As you have one, do the instructions confirm this Graham?

My motor club (unbraked) 750kg trailer, made in Belgium supposedly to EU & TUV standards has a short but very strong chain that is just long enough to loop over the swan neck. So, over there, they seem to think that it's sufficient, though this would only keep the trailer captive if the coupling broke. It doesn't address the unlikely issue of the swan neck braking or becoming detached from the car.

Edited by speedsport

I did look at this, but didn't bother as I had a suspicion that you have to remove the bumper to fit it as I don't think there's enough room to get it on the main bracket. As you have one, do the instructions confirm this Graham?

You don't have to remove the bumper! Allams fitted mine free of charge (months after the towbar) since they did the towbar originally. I was under the impression that this secondary coupling was now a standard part to be fitted with all Yeti detachable towbars!?

Allams fitted mine free of charge (months after the towbar) since they did the towbar originally. I was under the impression that this secondary coupling was now a standard part to be fitted with all Yeti detachable towbars!?

Ah, but you are fortunate to have access to Allams Johann, and not all dealers are nearly as helpful as they are!!! :envy:

Edited by speedsport

Secondary coupling bracket to enable towing of trailers below 75kgs that are unbraked, designed to fit with genuine accessory tow bars. This coupling provides a dedicated eyelet for the emergency brake cable

Presuming they mean 750kg, I missed that bit!

Since the caravan is a bit over that I'll continue looping my cable.

It can be fitted without removing the bumper (apparently) with the use of a G-clamp to "spring" it back to shape.

Any one want to but one, unused?

My motor club (unbraked) 750kg trailer, made in Belgium supposedly to EU & TUV standards has a short but very strong chain that is just long enough to loop over the swan neck. So, over there, they seem to think that it's sufficient, though this would only keep the trailer captive if the coupling broke. It doesn't address the unlikely issue of the swan neck braking or becoming detached from the car.

The rules for 'braked' and 'Unbraked' trailers are different...

A 'Braked' trailer has to have a 'breakaway' cable that is designed to apply the brakes to the trailer and then 'breakaway' so that you get out of the way and leave the trailer to stop with it's own brakes. - for this it is fine to loop the (thin) cable around the shaft of the tow ball as long as it is clipped back on itself.

An 'Unbraked' trailer (max 750 KGs - over 750KGs they need brakes) has to be secured with either a cable or chain STRONG enough to keep the trailer 'attached' to the towing vehicle so that it can be brought under control by the driver. That's why the auxillary bracket is supplied, they can be a pig to fit, but you could always 'extend' the eye with a couple of links of chain or a snap hook (carabina)

The swan neck has to be tested to the maximum towing weight of the car (2000KGs) so is unlikely to break or become detatched, and bearing in mind that if it comes unhooked it's liable to drop and dig in the road first acting as it's own 'brake' - it's when you brake that it will start to play 'catch-up' !!

The swan neck has to be tested to the maximum towing weight of the car (2000KGs) so is unlikely to break or become detatched, and bearing in mind that if it comes unhooked it's liable to drop and dig in the road first acting as it's own 'brake' - it's when you brake that it will start to play 'catch-up' !!

Pedant warning! :giggle:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the testing was actually more like 3 times the maximum, if not more!

Pedant warning! :giggle:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the testing was actually more like 3 times the maximum, if not more!

You beat me too it Graham! In fact, as the Westfalia swan neck & coupling is exactly the same as fitted to other brackets in their range for cars with a greater towing capacity than the Yeti, we can be pretty confident that it's designed load is way above anything we could ever contemplate!

And yes, Millstone, I did appreciate the different requirements for braked & unbraked trailers, I was merely hinting (not very well) that for my unbraked trailer, the manufacturer is happy to use the swan neck as the emergency tether rather than a separate bracket. I'd actually go further and say that the swan neck is probably the only place to attach an unbraked trailer's emergency chain because (as you say) it is intended to keep car & trailer together, which the Skoda secondary attachment clearly isn't.

Edited by speedsport

I thought I read somewhere that the detachable tow bar for the Yeti is only rated to 1800kgs.

As for looping the breakaway cable over the tow bar, I though that was only permissible for non-detachable tow bars. Having said that, SWMBO does just that when towing the horse box :doh:

I thought I read somewhere that the detachable tow bar for the Yeti is only rated to 1800kgs.

As for looping the breakaway cable over the tow bar, I though that was only permissible for non-detachable tow bars. Having said that, SWMBO does just that when towing the horse box :doh:

No, you're wrong on both counts.

The plate on the bottom of the B post says 2000kg, therefore the ball has to be above that.

That is for fitting to a bolt-on tow bar, not a removeable one....

Apologies. I read the bit about "bolts on to a removable towball" and clearly made the rest up :blush:

My towing days are long gone and as I only use a cloth caravan now I'll keep out of it :rofl:

I've had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted to the Yeti.

But I have a problem.

On my trailer, which has braked axles, there is an emergency braking cable that I used to attach to a designated loop on the back of the Land Rover.

The Westfalia towbar has no location to attach the emergency braking cable.

I can't just loop the cable round and attach it to itself as I am not sure that is legal. The trailer supplier told me it is not.

In an incident when the trailer comes off the cable could slide off the towbar.

So what I am wondering is:

Is there any reason why I can't get a loop welded onto the towbar to do the job?

Why on earth doesn't the towbar come with this if it's a legal requirement to have an attached emergency braking cable on a trailer with braked axles and the Yeti is rated to pull 2000kg?

See Posts 38 and 46 Here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/199332-towing-again/page__hl__cable__st__30

tom

Allams fitted my clamp bracket as well, but I can't remember now when.

So I can loop over the swan neck rather than use the bracket when towing the parents caravan, which will make life a little easier.

If you had a Westfalia towbar fitted then there is a welded loop on the tow bar receiver. I thought that there was not one fitted but it is there if you feel for it.

I watched mine being fitted and the dedicated Skoda wiring loom being fitted it took 5hrs plus to fit but was worth the time as everything works just fine.

All the systems were recoded so that the vehicle stability system worked .

I had my towbar fitted by LNB towbars in Bristol (01179 694944 )they were very good and did a good job they also do all the towbar fitting for Land Rover & Jaguar, Audi, VW. for the main dealers in Bristol.

If they cannot recode the system then they contact the Westfalia support team that are in Box just outside Bath who can recode the whole system as part of the deal.

I hope this might help.

Edited by jonboy2
  • Like 2

No, you're wrong on both counts.

The plate on the bottom of the B post says 2000kg, therefore the ball has to be above that.

You might be right but the following quote is taken from the Skoda.co.uk website under the accessories tab for the Yeti:

"Detachable Tow Bar

This detachable tow bar can tow up to a maximum braked weight of 1,600kg (depending on vehicle specification). Use in combination with our twin electrics which provide full split charge capability."