Reliability of high miles diesel DSG

Assuming there was 5 litres left in the tank when you filled it after your 900kms, thats about 51 mpg. I've got a 2.0tdi DSG. My record is 59 mpg (calculated, not computer figures), but I had to drive like an undertaker to get that! 48-50 mpg is more typical.

I'd be interested to see what a 1.9 tdi dsg manages in real world conditions as, according to book figures they are hardly any more economical than the 2.0 tdi dsg.

Nice.

I'd be interested to hear what MPG you get from it. I'm want to buy a second Octavia, and I'm tempted by a 1.9 TDI DSG.

I'll be honest, it's not great.

I haven't ran a full brim to brim tank yet,

Thurs I picked it up, worked over the weekend & the highest I seen it was 35.9mpg. But I haven't done one decent long job yet.

I expect to see at least 45mpg on the mway cruiseing at 70mph, don't see the point wasting fuel.

G

I'll be honest, it's not great.

I haven't ran a full brim to brim tank yet,

Thurs I picked it up, worked over the weekend & the highest I seen it was 35.9mpg. But I haven't done one decent long job yet.

I expect to see at least 45mpg on the mway cruiseing at 70mph, don't see the point wasting fuel.

G

If that's all city driving then 35.9mpg is probably about right. Hopefully it'll easily do 45mpg on the motorway.

If that's all city driving then 35.9mpg is probably about right. Hopefully it'll easily do 45mpg on the motorway.

Yes mate. Tonight I done 280 miles of mIxed driving, my trip in the car said 35.9 again all night, went to 41.2 for a short period.

I put £30 @ £1.35.9 & covered 280 miles, the mpg calculator I use says that works out @ 57.6 MPG

I'm about £5 extra per night over the manual gearbox, but it's certainly worth it!

G

My petrol vRS will do 45mpg on the motorway at that speed so I am sure it will do better than that.

Well after the first couple weeks out on the road, the Aircon pulley decided to break causing the belt to snap. Quick fix was to fit a non aircon belt & completely remove the Aircon pulley. = no aircon but I ain't that bothered giving the current weather.

Will require a new aircon pump if I want the aircon but I doubt I'll bother.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Now 200,000 + miles on a DSG gearbox seems quite reasonable. However mine has packed up at just over 50,000. The car was bought new (2006 Elegance 2.0 ltr TDI Estate), and has been regularly serviced. Skoda say that after 5 years they are not liable for any warranty claim, and want £4,000+ to fit a new gearbox. I might now recommend Skoda to a rapist or mass murderer, but no one else!

• 1 month later...

My 1.9TDi DSG (303,000km) averages 6.2L/100km. whats that in old money? Car is a taxi in Dublin city with a 60km commute on B roads at each end of shift. I would NEVER buy a manual 'box again. If they ever stop making the DSG, I will start walking. Just one niggle, did VW deliberately over engineer the early DSG box just to make sure of a good reputation? Will later, more recent DSG 'boxes have the same robustness?

My 1.9TDi DSG (303,000km) averages 6.2L/100km. whats that in old money? Car is a taxi in Dublin city with a 60km commute on B roads at each end of shift. I would NEVER buy a manual 'box again. If they ever stop making the DSG, I will start walking. Just one niggle, did VW deliberately over engineer the early DSG box just to make sure of a good reputation? Will later, more recent DSG 'boxes have the same robustness?

Thats 46 mpg. Not bad considering it's a taxi in a city centre.

I imagine the DSG box will only get better as the years go on!

I bought my car at 2 yrs old, 91,000 miles, now at 111,000.

Economy averages 55 in the summer, 52 during winter. I have virtually no town driving but long drives are rare. Gearbox, I've been unlucky, very jerky when starting off and in traffic, totally spoils the car. Open road driving, perfect, and the changes are so smooth and quick.

I would still recommend a DSG gearbox, make sure you take a good test drive first as my car drives perfectly until heated up.

Now had mine a full 10k miles & all I can say is I hate it. Wish I had never got the bloody thing!

Nothing mechanical or anything, just drinks so much diesel, it's a bad day when you can watch the fuel gauge drop if you drive it a little hard. Being the 1.9 I expected it to be a bit more on fuel than the manual, but I can be upto £15 per shift motor, & taking me into £40 for diesel some nights.

You learn from your mistakes !

G

I have 214.000 km, the car was from France, the oil in DSG gearbox is 100% original from factory because i didnt find nowhere that the oil is change.What do you think, if now I change that oil - will this destroy my gearbox?(6-sp. wet clucth).

And my averages is 4.8 - 5.2 l/100 km.

I have 214.000 km, the car was from France, the oil in DSG gearbox is 100% original from factory because i didnt find nowhere that the oil is change.What do you think, if now I change that oil - will this destroy my gearbox?(6-sp. wet clucth).

And my averages is 4.8 - 5.2 l/100 km.

If you can afford it,get the gearbox oil change. If cost is a problem just change the filter. Mine went 200,000kms between last gearbox service and it still works fine.

Now 200,000 + miles on a DSG gearbox seems quite reasonable. However mine has packed up at just over 50,000. The car was bought new (2006 Elegance 2.0 ltr TDI Estate), and has been regularly serviced. Skoda say that after 5 years they are not liable for any warranty claim, and want £4,000+ to fit a new gearbox. I might now recommend Skoda to a rapist or mass murderer, but no one else!

Ouch. What did you do in the end? I do *NOT* fancy a £4K repair bill. How often do these things fail?

I see quite a few European vehicles doing well with the DSG and clocked quite a few miles/kms as well.

Is there someone on this forum from a high temparature dusty country like India/Brazil/Australia etc who can give reliability figures with high mileage?

The reason for my question is the bad name the DSG has earned for itself in India, in many automobile forums and amongst a few customers as well.

Looking forward to replies.

As the transmission is sealed, dusty conditions shouldn't make a difference to DSG longevity.

Also the DSG transmission oil gets up to around 90 degrees C when operating normally, so high ambient temperatures shouldn't really make a difference either. Maybe poor roads and differing driving practices in other countries are having more of an effect?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Anymore positive comments out there on high mileage DSG's?

I'm tempted but as I'm covering 30,000 miles a year and need the car to last at least 5 years I'm thinking a manual might be a safer bet..?

• 2 weeks later...

564,000kms now!!

Wow. Impressive mileage for any car that.

Just goes to show that there can't be anything inherently wrong with the DSG with high mileage examples like this.

Very, very pleased with ours. Love the DSG.

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am thinking about buying a used Octavia II 1.9 PD TDI, MY 2007, 150,000 km with DSG transmission.

It has been serviced regularly.

How reliable is the DSG? Should I am afraid of buying it?