In this situation do you have your lights on?

I tend to put my dipped beam on in poor light conditions or rain. A good rule of thumb is when you look in your mirror and the spray is masking cars behind you especially on the motorway.

In some States in the US you have to put your lights on when you are using your wipers.

Keep you lights on and make sure your windows are clear.

It's you responsibility that you can be seen and to see others. If necessary wind down windows to wipe water off your side windows.

I have my dipped beams on about 75% of the time.

I adopt the philosophy that if I am debating putting lights on, they SHOULD be on. And that's what I do. :) On motorways and similar if I see inclement weather up ahead and cars with lights on coming at me, I'll get some advanced bit of light-on action before its really needed.

• Like 2

Personally, I look at this way.......would the insurance company be looking to attribute blame to you for having your DIPPED HEADLIGHTS on in dubious weather conditions or low natural luminance levels? NO!!!

Would they be looking to attribute blame in those conditions if you didn't have them on? Maybe?!

If for no other reason, shove em on!

Personally, it really get narked with people who think conditions are such that they need to put lights on but only sidelights! In daytime in heavy spray on the motorway, you see the sidelights a millisecond before you see the rest of the car! Proper lights or not at all in my opinion!

• Like 1

Good weather conditions I use side lights ( or DRL's ) during the day on side roads , however dipped beam as soon as I approch the motorway

Poor weather, lights on regardless of road.

G

Lights are compulsory in some nordic countries and they've been debating for ages about making them compulsory in the whole of Europe. They do annoy me in sunny weather but really they're not here to look pretty on your car whan all's said and done

"Not being in the wrong" won't be of much use to you after the other driver has smashed straight through your car because he couldn't see you on time, even though you could see them ;) This nearly happened to me once so I revised my position double quick after that. If it rains 50% of the time then lights go on 50% of the time.

(And that goes for cyclists too. 90% of the cyclists I see here are plain dangerous...you can't see them, very simply. That little flickery cheapo yoke off lidl just isn't good enough, sorry. Your cyclists rights aren't enough, either, at least on rural roads. Nobody hits a cyclist on purpose.)

It's not like it costs anything to put your lights on. Neither money, time nor effort :)

I tend to drive with my lights on all the time, because I know how some shades of silver cars are easily missed, especially if they look like their parked and they are actually moving.

I notice cars with lights on more than the ones without lights on.

I also get annoyed when people have a faulty 3rd level break light! when they break you can just about see the brighter rear lights in day light if your lucky.

gosh you briskodians are a sensible lot! i use side lights always and dipped in any poor weather, thought i was pretty much on my own with this but glad others feel the same, i am always amazed when I see people in poor visability with no lights at all. I'm personally am in favour of the nordic style compulsory lights, dont like to dictate but cant see a downside to it.

also to sk4gw- only about 50% of the police cars i see have police in them, dont forget PCSO's etc dont get the same training, they just get given a lollipop and sent out there to play.

Me personally, I use DRLs in normal conditions (dry weather) unless low lying sun then dipped are on.

When it comes to rain, as soon as there is a noticeable amount of spray behind my car the dipped go on and stay on.

I rarely use sidelights on the vRS...

One thing I have noticed is that the parking lights also illuminate half of your reg plate lol

1.4tsi,

In Scotland they do not get vehicles, they are lucky if they get a boot allowance.

I know police vehicles & Traffic Police, i live in the town with the Areas Traffic Division.

Last week just outside Perth coming off the Friarton Bridge i had the Scottish Police Training guys under instruction in a Silver BMW estate up my jacksy trying to tailgate me as the instructor was instructing him to shift me out of the outside lane, without using lights, because they are not allowed to.

I was at 75 and following cars all doing the same speed, so gave them a wave backwards and instead he pulled off to the left on a slip road.

At least they get trained, you want to see how beat bobbies drive about here.

The Motorcycle guys are a law unto theirselfs.

They do not indicate onto a carraigway, or changing lane or slipping off at junctions.

High Police driver crash count in this area, not surprisingly.

george

Edited by sk4gw

When you get in a police vehicle under tuition or test conditions, you must have your dipped beam on in any conditions. That was the rule 3 years back.

My instructor was a retired traffic Chief Inspector and was really good.

I tend to adopt all what I was taught and that includes having dipped lights on during daylight hours regardless of the weather. If the beam is adjustable, knock it down a few notches during daytime.

Over here in Slovakia we have to have our dipped beams on all year round...even on bright sunny summer days with 35C...otherwise a 60EUR fine...I thought it was rather over-the-top, but now I think it's a good idea...it really does make a difference and it makes it very clear where moving cars are...

The Volvo lights being on all the time since the 70's seemed fine by me.

Just the right amount of light for Daytime Running Lights.

These DRL's now are just over the top as far as i am concerned.

Now with EU Emissions etc & the fight to make them low and lower they are looking hard at the little extra energy that is used by an Alternator to run lights on vehicles, hence LED's etc

The DRL's now are not the answer IMO.

There is no rear lights displayed as when sidelights or dipped lights are on.

People have a big shock coming pretty soon,

Some modern bulbs/lights have such short usage times that Replacement bulbs will be costing them enough cash/money.

Even 40 grand plus cars only a few months old appear to have Angle Eye, Halo light problems, & self leveler and balast problems.

Old style Volvo Daytime lights output as a maximum & as a minimum when Dipped Beam is not required, would be my solution.

george

These DRL's now are just over the top as far as i am concerned.

I tend to agree, but I think they are an essential aid in these days of ignorant drivers NEVER putting their lights on except "when it's dark mate" :wonder:

I think all round marking lights should be law. That way there's no excuse.

I keep my dipped beam on constantly as they go off when the ignition key is removed. My driving is mostly country roads and its one of my pet hates to see people driving without lights on when its chucking it down with rain.

Definitely lights on. I normally either have the DRL or full beam.

It's situation like this that makes me like Volvo (well I actually like quite a lot of their cars, even the 240 - it serves a purpose).

Well, this issue could be solved like they did here in sweden. The lights turn on with the engine, it's the law. Problem solved. Unless the driver actually makes the effort of finding the puny button that turns 'em off.

a lot of folks in Inverness have DRL's and believe in heavy rain their twinkly little fairy lights will help them be seen........except from the back! nearly smashed into someone a few months back it was pitch black and he pulled out from a layby!

a lot of folks in Inverness have DRL's and believe in heavy rain their twinkly little fairy lights will help them be seen........except from the back! nearly smashed into someone a few months back it was pitch black and he pulled out from a layby!

You need to remember, these guys don't 'intentionally' know that the DRLs are even on !

They probably bought the car and asked about the 'Audi bright white lights' that are "all the rage" :giggle:

Same as the fools who put fog lights on whenever they can. They wouldn't have an igloo when to use them properly.