Warning - Yeti going abroad

GEOFFL

Yeti, Libby and I are having a holiday soon in Welsh Wales. Got all neccessary travel doc's etc and checked that the Sat Nav operates in that part of the world and still communicates in English. :giggle:

Going to Laugharne, Dyfed, Dylan Thomas country - been before - lovely part of the world and the natives were extremely friendly.

Will keep a lookout for yeti's flying the Red Dragon and will wave if the opportunity arises :hi:

I took a trip abroad last week end to Long Mountain near Welshpool, in Wales. They let me drive in no problem, but I escaped by flying back over the border on my Paraglider. Beautiful place :)

post-81017-0-75246400-1337354953_thumb.jpg

Edited by ParaYeti
  • Like 1

Harry, the wife and I were in Welsh Wales a month ago. Down in The Gower.

Nice area.

If you have a sunny afternoon free, check out Picton Castle (more country house)

http://www.pictoncastle.co.uk/

Nice gardens of all types all in a compact area so if you are a bit slow on shank's pony it's not too much of a chore.

I wouldn't plan on spending more than a half hour at the museum of speed in Pendine though. Only two exhibits! But it is free to get in.

The cafe right outside is a good place for a breather with sea view.

Oh and the yeti loves all the single track lanes around thre so have fun :)

• Like 1

I shall be heading to Wales with the Yeti on the 26th June, see they've put the fee to enter Wales to £6.00 which is good value compared to the fee to enter England. This year it has cost me £270.00!

Dim siared Cymraeg?

You might be allowed in, but are you sure we'll let you out again?

Which way are you going down?

Planned route = M62, M6, A483, A40, A4066.

Actual route = Don't know, depends on weather, mood, sat nav etc. No rush

Iechyd da :sun:

Good route, BUT, a bit of local knowledge for you, in Newtown don't follow the A483, but at the Lidl lights go straight on and then follow the A470 signs southwards, passed Caersws and Llanidloes, through Rhayader, then in Newbridge turn right (B4368) to Beulah, there turn right to Llandovery and the A40.

Much better route, less traffic and more picturesque.

Plus you've got more choice of places to stop for lunch or coffee.

(The A483 south from Newtown, to Llandrindod is terrible!!)

• Like 2

I'm very jealous Geoff - you've got pretty much the same SM I'm still waiting for[1], and getting to drive it in Wales! We're planning a Gower trip at some point but I don't think it'll be this year. The closet I've been to Laugharne is Pembrey Forest on a school trip from Swansea over 30 years ago. Fishguard is the most southerly spot we've got to in recent years (shortly after we got the Octavia) as our more usual haunts are Llangollen or somewhere near Bangor or on Anglesey. I'll add it to the list!

[1] Looking hopeful for getting it in time for our Northumberland holiday in a fortnight, fingers crossed.

Good route, BUT, a bit of local knowledge for you, in Newtown don't follow the A483, but at the Lidl lights go straight on and then follow the A470 signs southwards, passed Caersws and Llanidloes, through Rhayader, then in Newbridge turn right (B4368) to Beulah, there turn right to Llandovery and the A40.

Much better route, less traffic and more picturesque.

Plus you've got more choice of places to stop for lunch or coffee.

(The A483 south from Newtown, to Llandrindod is terrible!!)

Thanks, local advice is good advice and I intend to follow it ( despite various PM's and phone calls warning that this is just a subterfuge by you to drive us into the hands of the Welsh speaking natives to take part in unspeakable rituals :devil: )

• Like 1

Ignore the scaremongers, Geoff, they're of no importance. :giggle:

After all, we allow a Scots Yeti owner to live and work in the area, even considering what he does to sheep and cows.

:think:

The B road is actually better than the A road, by the way. George mentioned it recently.

If you fancy a break I can recommend an excellent coffee stop in Llanidloes.

Of course you do get charged to enter the kingdom of heaven via the Severn Bridge, but we let you out for free.

Some great roads in Pembrokeshire if you can avoid the 40's & 50's club (slow drivers!). A trip up over the Preseli mountains is a must. A great ride in the Yeti, not to mention the views!

Of course you do get charged to enter the kingdom of heaven via the Severn Bridge, but we let you out for

Well some do Mike, but Geoff and I have dispensation from Max Boyce. We can use the bridge for free :p

but it's a bit out of the way from Geoff's neck of the woods

CFB,

Careful about saying your a "friend" of Max, people may make assumptions about you!!

Mike,

Now if Geoff really wants to be scared by the locals perhaps he needs directions to Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush?

CFB,

Careful about saying your a "friend" of Max, people may make assumptions about you!!

Mike,

Now if Geoff really wants to be scared by the locals perhaps he needs directions to Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush?

Yes I'm told that Derek the Weather is a friend of Max!

O yes the Tafarn Sinc, the drive there is great. Great pint there too and sawdust on the floor, not sure which tastes the best? The old station platform is just outside the pub & they play sounds of old steam trains - now there's nostalgic for you, isn't it wasn't it!

Almost bought a house just down the road from the pub, would have been a good place to try out the 4x4 capabilities of the Yeti.

Edited by MikeWales

Mike,

there was an interview with Max recently where he said the thing about him and Derek was untrue.

I've drunk at Tafarn Sinc several times in the last couple of years and agree, it is a good pint in there. Never had a meal though. Is the cheese shop still there? Apparently one arm of my family tree can be traced back to two sisters from Rosebush, one of whom is supposed to have been involved in the "battle" with the French during the last mainland invasion of the UK!

There is an interesting ford not far from there, at the top of the Gwaun Valley.

Mike,

there was an interview with Max recently where he said the thing about him and Derek was untrue.

I've drunk at Tafarn Sinc several times in the last couple of years and

agree, it is a good pint in there. Never had a meal though. Is the cheese shop still there? Apparently one arm of my family tree can be traced back

to two sisters from Rosebush, one of whom is supposed to have been

involved in the "battle" with the French during the last mainland invasion of

the UK!

Well Graham, there is no smoke without fire! Certainly not in the entertainment business. I've worked in it for over 30 years, so I have heard it all- well much of it anyway!

Not sure about the cheese shop or the history- it's a nice day, I may go up there for a drive!

There is an interesting ford not far from there, at the top of the Gwaun Valley.

Just booked a week near Tenby in early August. Hopefully will be able to escape the olympics.

Andy

I've heard Tenby is must visit place so we're going for a few days in the motorhome to make use of the extra jubilee bank holiday.

Yes Tenby is very nice, good walks on the beaches, a boat over to Caldy Island to see the monks, good restaurant in Tenby - The Blue Ball.

If you fancy some 'culture', the Torch Theatre in Milford Haven is the place to go - theatre and cinema.

Of course everyone goes to St. David's to see the cathedral. If you want great food,stop off in Solva on the way back from St David's and go to the Cambrian Inn.

Lots to see and do in Pembrokeshire!

Only take your time, Pembrokeshire roads are not made for speed. ( 40+ years of living there ) Hope you enjoy your holiday.

I have now escaped over the "border" back to Glamorgan, where the traffic is chaos, and people drive like a Tsunami is after them!!

Love heading through Wales guided by Tom Tom - the pronunciation of place names is hilarious. :rofl:

Love heading through Wales guided by Tom Tom - the pronunciation of place names is hilarious. :rofl:

I got my Amunsden sat nav working for the first time yesterday and it gives the names of some of the place names and roads in Welsh - hilarious!

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, myself, Libby and Eddy the Yeti are back in Yorkshire after an 800 mile trip down and around South Wales, and what a delight it was. Thanks to you all for your wishes,support,suggestions and warnings - all gratefully received.

over the 800 miles we averaged (full to full) 39mpg. We went down the pretty way, Nantwich, Welshpool, Newtown etc and came back using the "fastest route" on the Columbus ( which took us straight to Cardiff airport, think it was having a laugh!). So we experienced country roads, dual carriageways and motorways. Given that it took 6 hours going down and just over 4 coming back I'm happy with that consumption.

Only technical(?) problem we had was after stopping for fuel and turning the engine off the key would not turn in the ignition to restart. The steering lock was well on and it took a good 5 minutes of jiggling twisting and turning before the key turned, which at the time was a cause for concern.

Overall well pleased with the Yeti and looking forward to driving it again, should the opportunity arise!!

Will try to upload some Yeti photo's but in the meantime here, hopefully, is one of some locals outside our lounge window looking for free handouts. It might be Graham and a couple of his chums in their "evening" dress!!!

post-75277-0-77767900-1338311324_thumb.jpg post-75277-0-40375800-1338312101_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you had a good trip, Geoff, and the opportunity for a good run in eddy.

The yeti is a good place to be to take advantage of the welsh countryside.

I hope your night time visitors didn't badger you too much? ;)

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

• Like 1