Yeti won't start - "Depress Clutch" message.

Monster Mash

Twice in as many weeks our 61-plate, 1.2 Yeti has failed to start.

Before we contact the garage I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar problem?

We unlock the car. Turn the key in the ignition. Depress clutch and the Yeti won't start. From memory, the dash just displays a red EPC light, amber engine light and the matrix says "Depress clutch".

We've checked the clutch pedal, fuses, and tried both keys and nothing helps.

The weird thing is after an hour or so, the car then starts up fine, as if there's never been an issue.

The first time it happened I suspected a poorly charged battery so left the car running for an hour and then took it for a long 3 hour drive. A few days later it's failed to start again and then just started up again about an hour later.

I'm guessing a faulty clutch sensor but not sure how or why this fault would mean the car starts working again after an hour.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by Monster Mash

Try telling the clutch that it is a pathetic, useless failure as an automotive component and you would have been better off had it never been invented.

That ought to depress it.

(Whenever I see a notice saying "Door alarmed 24 hours a day" I feel like going up to the door and telling it to calm down a bit. Is that just me?)

• Like 3

(Whenever I see a notice saying "Door alarmed 24 hours a day" I feel like going up to the door and telling it to calm down a bit. Is that just me?)

It's not just you - it tickles me everytime I see a 'This door is alarmed' sign.

Try telling the clutch that it is a pathetic, useless failure as an automotive component and you would have been better off had it never been invented.

That ought to depress it.

After the torrent of abuse I gave the thing this morning it should be well and truly depressed. :)

It's not just you - it tickles me everytime I see a 'This door is alarmed' sign.

I have the same sort of worried feelings about 'Family Butchers' !!

I often wonder about Schools who advertise their academically challenged kids:

SLOW CHILDREN

Or

SLOW ROAD WORKS AHEAD

Well make the bvggers work a bit quicker!

I'm always glad to be reminded of that excellent piece of advice offered on packets of paracetamol and the like: "Keep away from children".

SLOW CHILDREN

That just means they're an easier target! :evil:

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

It's failed to start three times this week. Again with the dumb "depress clutch" message.

In fact it's currently broken on our drive right now.

It's booked into the dealer so fingers-crossed they find the fault.

Edited by Monster Mash

In fact it's currently broken on our drive right now.

It's booked into the dealer so fingers-crossed they find the fault.

How will you get it there?

The dealer has come back saying they're unable to diagnose a technical fault with the car.

Instead they're blaming the mat.

I still think there is an issue with the clutch switch.

Of course the mat in way sounds plausible - but the big problem is this is one the first things I checked when we first encountered the issue.

Due to the intermittent nature of the fault, I expected to be fobbed off so not surprised nothing was done.

Does anyone know if the clutch switch has any link-up with the brake system?

Only ask as second-to-last time this issue occurred, I tried putting the car into neutral to roll off some double yellows, but the car wouldn't budge.

EDIT: I've searched the web a little more and this issue appears quite common in VW and Porsche cars. Maybe they all share the same clutch microswitch.

Edited by Monster Mash

• 7 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2012 at 16:24, Monster Mash said:

The dealer has come back saying they're unable to diagnose a technical fault with the car.

Instead they're blaming the mat.

I still think there is an issue with the clutch switch.

Of course the mat in way sounds plausible - but the big problem is this is one the first things I checked when we first encountered the issue.

Due to the intermittent nature of the fault, I expected to be fobbed off so not surprised nothing was done.

Does anyone know if the clutch switch has any link-up with the brake system?

Only ask as second-to-last time this issue occurred, I tried putting the car into neutral to roll off some double yellows, but the car wouldn't budge.

EDIT: I've searched the web a little more and this issue appears quite common in VW and Porsche cars. Maybe they all share the same clutch microswitch.

Did you ever get this sorted?  I have the same problem with a 2012 Octavia.  Non-dealer garage has just replaced the switch on the master cylinder but intermittent problem remains.  Now with main dealer who is equally perplexed.  Any help welcomed!

24 minutes ago, tangoromeo said:

Did you ever get this sorted?  I have the same problem with a 2012 Octavia.  Non-dealer garage has just replaced the switch on the master cylinder but intermittent problem remains.  Now with main dealer who is equally perplexed.  Any help welcomed!

OP hasn't visited the forum since 2015!

• 3 years later...

I have been experiencing this since Feb 2023 & the garage was baffled. It was with the garage for some time & I thought it was all sorted. Have spent the rest of the year without any problems until we’ve got to Dec 2023 & here we go again. My car has condensation in it- could this be a factor. I’m fed up. Won’t start with just the key & gears in neutral. I have to get in & depress the clutch. Dashboard message says “clutch” & nothing else. EPC lights up.
My car has very few miles on it. Serviced & put to bed like a baby. It’s making me quite anxious as I love my car & cannot afford a replacement.  I really hope someone can shine some light on it. 

51 minutes ago, freedie said:

I think we all have to do that!

That's what I thought :)

In similar vein, my DSG auto will not start unless I have my foot on the brake. If I attempt to start with my foot off the brake, I get the message "Depress the Brake!"

My understanding is that these are safety features to prevent the car from lurching forward if the engine is started with the transmission in gear.

• Like 1

I use two microwaveable dryer packs to reduce condensation. A long run with the air con on will help. Having climate control helps.

All modern  manual cars require the clutch pedal to be depressed before they will start. Easy to forget if you don't drive it much. If my better half tells me her car won't start, the first step is to "press the clutch pedal". Hope this works.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kheselden said:

I have been experiencing this since Feb 2023 & the garage was baffled. It was with the garage for some time & I thought it was all sorted.

They must be half wits or thought you were and worthy of extracting some free money.

It is a standard and to me very undesired feature, the vehicle cannot be started unless the clutch master cylinder sensor detects the piston being displaced.

I am however confused regarding your mention of the EPC light.

• Confused 1

Having read through your posting once again it now could read that for most of the year you have been able to start the vehicle without depressing the clutch and by inference that is how the garage returned the vehicle to you.

Could you please clarify or further explain.

Ok so i realise how that sounded about the clutch but what i meant is, surely you can turn the key, gearbox in neutral & start the car without being in the car, pressing the clutch? Or am i being thick hear, was this a fluke that i have discovered you cannot do this anymore with modern cars,  as an example, people use their spare key to run the car, defrosting it whilst going back in the house to keep warm dont they?? Okay…so moving on.

In normal circumstances, when this happens, i get in the car, press the clutch, car key turned on to then just get a dead response & “clutch” on the screen. I try again & have sometimes had success after pumping the clutch 3/4 times & turning the key & then its started. 
i do have a video to show, but its too damn big.  This wasnt a fleecing job as there was no charge. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Having read through your posting once again it now could read that for most of the year you have been able to start the vehicle without depressing the clutch and by inference that is how the garage returned the vehicle to you.

Could you please clarify or further explain.

5 hours ago, freedie said:

I think we all have to do that!

Not if you’re in neutral with the handbrake on. How do people defrost their cars, leaving it running whilst they watch from the sitting room window. I’ve turned the key in a car in neutral & not been sat in it.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Kheselden said:

Not if you’re in neutral with the handbrake on. How do people defrost their cars, leaving it running whilst they watch from the sitting room window. I’ve turned the key in a car in neutral & not been sat in it.

Now you're just having a laugh, surely?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kheselden said:

🤪

1 hour ago, Kheselden said:

Ok so i realise how that sounded about the clutch but what i meant is, surely you can turn the key, gearbox in neutral & start the car without being in the car, pressing the clutch? Or am i being thick hear, was this a fluke that i have discovered you cannot do this anymore with modern cars, 

No, yes and no!

people use their spare key to run the car, defrosting it whilst going back in the house to keep warm dont they??

Yes, not even the spare key but the main one, what has that got to do with anything? They will have depressed the clutch pedal to initially start the car, I know its a pain and I hate it when I am working on the car with oily overalls but that is how it is.

In normal circumstances, when this happens, i get in the car, press the clutch, car key turned on to then just get a dead response & “clutch” on the screen. I try again & have sometimes had success after pumping the clutch 3/4 times & turning the key & then its started. 

OK now we are getting somewhere, the ECU is not recognising that the clutch is depressed, there is a very hard to access hall sensor on the master cylinder that can be replaced, if that does not improve things then replace the cylinder, the toroidal magnet within can get encrusted with magnetic schmoo that comes from I know not where, its an alien species!