all weather tyres

johnbmcg

Thanks TB, I read that post. What I'm after are others experiences of Yeti use with 1 pair of chains.

I feel very few users have actually fitted chains 'in anger', as with winter tyres the 4x4 Yeti is pretty good at getting through without them.

Might be worth posting the question directly on the forum.

TP

I have just received a call from Skoda customer care to tell me that I must NOT fit any summer or all season tyres less than W rated to the Yeti.

This is strange as last week in an email they told me that I could fit H rated winter tyres!

Am I likely to drive any slower in the winter on a clear sunny motorway than I am in the summer?

Should I ignore them?

Problem is not Skoda UK but more likely your Insurer?

These days you really don't want to give insurers any opportunity to wriggle out of a claim!

Unlikely event I know - but it pays to be completely up front with insurers?

Spoken to my insurers who tell me they will accept any that are suitable for the car. After much debate over who agrees that the tyres are suitable I think they mean the vehicle manufacturer or the tyre fitter!

I then phoned Skoda again and managed to speak to one of their technical team (who are not usually customer facing) who said that W rated tyres are the minimum speed rating to be used with the Yeti chassis. I suppose it's not within his remit to agree to anything else.

Based on this it looks like another set of Dunlop Sport 01 and consideration for a set of full winter tyres on steel wheels. Not a decision my wife will approve of as it's her who drives it on a daily basis! I can't risk going against the Skoda recommendation based on the comments of my insurer, but it is disappointing that Skoda has based tyre choice around performance rather than off road capability on what is a useful 4wd car! Does the Yeti really need tyres with a speed rating of 170mph?!?

I've just had a look in the brochure I picked up last year prior to buying my Yeti.

If you ordered an S trim 110 BHP 4x4 diesel it came with H rated tyres, if you bought a 110 BHP diesel SE or above it comes with W rated tyres.

The national speed limit does not increase if you buy the higher spec, also when using winter tyres the chances are that you will be going slower.

In addition Rainworth Skoda were doing a steel wheel and winter tyre package last year and they were not W rated, and were 16" wheels.

• Like 1

The S trim had 4x4 as an option still with 215/60 R16 95H.

Here is a link to the Rainworth tyre and wheel package,16" wheels and Dunlop winter sport 4D tyres (the link says 3D curious).

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/new-octavia-a5---new-superb-dunlop-winter-sport-3d-tyres-and-steel-wheels-38275

It's very confusing isn't it?

Are the 'W' tyres due to weight/4wd?

Where's TP when you need him? :)

You rang Sir :giggle:

W rating is the speed not weight bearing capacity, although admittedly a W rated tyre will have a stronger and more rigid carcass to withstand that extra speed (that's why W rated summer tyres are so poor in cold weather; no give in them).

Skoda's owners handbook does not directly state you must put w rated tyres on either and my 16" factory fitted tyres are H rated, running on the same chassis. As long as the tyre fitted can take the load and speed of the given vehicle with a good safety margin then there is no problem.

Also of note my Octy I 4x4 ran on factory 205/55 R16 W rated tyres, while it's replacement a Golf V 4motion with the same drive system and performance ran factory 205/55 R16 V rated tyres. Skoda for long enough have been fitting these overrated tyres for whatever strange reason. Maybe they get a good discount from the manufacturers :wonder:

Oh and the Goodyear 4season is available in a 225/50 R17 98V XL size the XL is extra load (so beefed up) if there's any concerns.

TP

Got the 4seasons fitted on my wifes SX4. Great all rounder, but she does drive sensibily. I do notice their grip on an empty warm, dry road is not as good as a summer tyre when trying to get the door handles to touch the ground on a bend.... :giggle: Fine for noise and not really noticed any difference in hard braking as the ABS masks skidding.

I feel very few users have actually fitted chains 'in anger', as with winter tyres the 4x4 Yeti is pretty good at getting through without them.

Might be worth posting the question directly on the forum.

I've had a Yeti 4 x 4 to the Alps three times. I have winter tyres fitted to 16" wheels and while I carry snow chains I've simply not needed to put them on, yet. Although I've not travelled any extreme roads in the winter, on local roads and to and from ski lifts, the Yeti has been most sure-footed.

Similarly in the UK when we've had snow down.

John

TP

I have just received a call from Skoda customer care to tell me that I must NOT fit any summer or all season tyres less than W rated to the Yeti.

This is strange as last week in an email they told me that I could fit H rated winter tyres!

Am I likely to drive any slower in the winter on a clear sunny motorway than I am in the summer?

Should I ignore them?

My winter tyres are H rated. I can't speak for how Skoda see this but your car would not fail an MOT test with lower speed rated tyres so long as they allow for the UK national speed limit as a minimum.

In parts of Europe, if using tyres that have a speed rating that is lower than the car's capability, you're supposed to either have a dashboard label advising the maximum speed or set the warning on the MFD, if you have one.

John

• Like 1

I've just had a look in the brochure I picked up last year prior to buying my Yeti.

If you ordered an S trim 110 BHP 4x4 diesel it came with H rated tyres, if you bought a 110 BHP diesel SE or above it comes with W rated tyres.

The national speed limit does not increase if you buy the higher spec, also when using winter tyres the chances are that you will be going slower.

In addition Rainworth Skoda were doing a steel wheel and winter tyre package last year and they were not W rated, and were 16" wheels.

Doesn't the Greenline model also have the H rated 16" tyres?

John

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot been written about Winter tyres and All Weather/Season tyres, but has anyone had any problems in the snow with the tyres that were on their Yeti from new?

Yes.

Our 1.2 DSG was bad in the ice and snow.

Mainly I believe because the tyres are quite wide and having such a small engine there is less weight in the front of the car.

It had Dunlops on it.

We switched it to the Goodyear Vector4season tyres in the same size and it became very capable and had no further isses.

We had some heavy snow (just one day) last winter but for the following 3 weeks the temperature did not rise above -8. Obviously the snow/ice kicked around and the conditions were truly awful.

We had to park up our Octavia (normal tyres) as it was too dangerous to drive. It could not get up even the slightest of gradients and just generally slid around all over the place.

Our Yeti (140 4x4) on the other hand (normal 16" tyres) was amazing if not brilliant. No problems whatsoever. We have some steep hills around us and it safely coped with them. Not once did I think 'hold on' I think I should put some chains on.

I debate every year if we should get winter tyres ect.. but given its performance last winter I doubt if I will....well certainly not this coming winter. Personally all seasons for me is not an option...although I wish they could be.

Edited by MCAMRA

There's a lot been written about Winter tyres and All Weather/Season tyres, but has anyone had any problems in the snow with the tyres that were on their Yeti from new?

No problems at all. My last Yeti was fitted with Dunlop Sports on 17" rims and coped perfectly well with the last 2 snowy winters in the Cotswolds.

First Yeti on 225/50 WR17 Goodyear Excellence tyres was OK 'ish in the snow if the ground was fairly flat and there was no underlying ice. However on inclines they could be quite dangerous. First hill decent in snow that I attempted resulted in an almost immediate 180 degree spin and a slide backwards down the top part of the hill into a low grass bank. Went almost straight to the dealers after that and got some steel rims and then winter tyres from the net. Not tried to run a Yeti on anything but winters between Nov and April since.

All three of our cars now have an extra set of winter boots; they make such a difference to road safety in the colder winter climate and not just snow.

TP

• Like 1

No, but I suspect that is a lot to do with being aware of the potential problems and driving accordingly.

I drive 48 miles across Wales to work, and have done so for the last two winters, often before the plough and gritters are out, both on the original Dunlops and the subsequent Kumhos. Even pulled a BMW 4x4 out of a ditch in thick snow on the latter! The greatest "problem" is braking distances, but I found the Kumho's much better than the Dunlops in that respect; you just leave more room. Traction was not a problem on either tyre.

Many thanks for your answers, explanations and tips. They will be useful in making the decision to change tyres or not, and knowing my luck if I did we wouldn't get any snow, something to ponder over.

Norway:

Registration certificate states T as minimum speed index for Geiti.

Also an official rule over here, that Q is accepted for winter tyres and all season tyres (M+S labeled).

H-rated Geolandars seems to be a solid overkill :think:

Geiti will probably never be seen doing 160 km/h on norwegian roads (if you wonder why - try google streetview :happy: )

• 3 weeks later...

At last - resolution.

Another phone call with Skoda and got the answer from a very helpful techie that unoffically the V rated tyres will be fine, but officially the Yeti Elegance is type approved with W rated tyres and I shouldn't deviate from that although legally as it's my car I can do what I like.

I tried emailing Honest John for his thoughts and found him totally useless. He failed to read the question properly on two occasions and I therefore got 2 responses that didn't answer my question.

I wrote to my insurers and got the reply that they will cover the car with V rated tyres for an extra premium of £11.91 p/a. Whilst it grates somewhat to pay an extra premium to have a safer car in winter weather, it will save the extra cost and hassle of having two sets of tyres or running on steel wheels for 6 months of the year. As the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons are no dearer than the current Dunlop SP01s and as people here rated them highly I'll be going for it at the end of October when the current Dunlops will be about ready for replacement.

Thanks to all who helped.