Weird breathing sound

Good evening everybody,

I have a friend of mine driving a 2011 VW Polo 1.2Tsi DSG that last two months developed a weird sound just right after the engine is shut off and after the car is driven for a fair amount of time. The sound sounds like someone is breathing for a few seconds after the engine stops. Below there is a video where you can hear relays clicking after engine is off and then the breathing sound.

Video was captured by my friend using his mobile phone, which was placed underneath the car. Any help would be great. The car had an oil filter base / holder change due to an oil leakage from that base / holder (Sorry I don't know how this part is called)

Here is the video

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=30j71pf&s=6

Thank you in advance

Thanks Irfant, I also believe that it has to do with turbo and I think that it comes from the a c t u a t o r ' s (i wrote in this way due to swear filter) or wastegate's sliding rod. Do you (all of you not only Irfant) think this is possible?

The main problem is that this sound is not happening every time that engine stops but sporadically and mainly after a long working period in city's traffic. Unfortunatelly I can't take a look at friend's car since he lives ca. 700Km away from me.

Dealer is unable to reproduce the sound and since no warning light on dash board, no explanation or solution is given.

Brainstorming is welcome.

Edited by stratosg

Not all vehicles are affected by this campaigns, but the dealer in Turkey applies those campaigns for any car who has visiting the service point.

Shimming might solve an ac****or related issue maybe. Just brainstorming :)

• Like 1

Any dealer campaign done? Like 24W6,24V9 etc...

Well the car had its turbo shimmed and last DSG update too. My friend told me that this sound came after shimming and updating.

Keep Brainstorming

• Like 1

Ah! I don't know. I will recomend him to do so. But as far as i can recall from memory neither my dealer performed a turbo pressure test on my car after shimming. Keep in mind that this sound occurs sporadically, after the car is driven for a long time and when the engine stops. While car is running no power loss symptoms or warning lights comes on. :S

• 2 months later...

Update :

The car is programmed for new engine due to famous oil consumption, BUT there is another member that has already had his engine replaced and now reports the same "breathing" sound when engine is deactivated.

Come on guys, more brainstorming needed. And I promise that as soon as I have news or solution I will report it here.

Do the 1.2 tsi engines also have reported High Oil Consumption problems?

I had not heard that before.

george

OOpps!! Sorry George, he had oil leakage because his engine block is cracked and he will have his engine replaced. Though his engine is running fine, if someone can tell. The second person has his engine replaced due to oil consumption (not 1.2 but 1.4 as Vrs's) and now he has the breathing sound too.

Really sorry for messing up. But keep thinking and posting.

Edited by stratosg

• 4 months later...

Any more updates on what caused the " breathing" noise? I have a Skoda Yeti 1.2 tsi and have the same problem, this happened just after they did the turbo shim. Any help would be very great full.

Dear OZYETI

My friend has his car replaced by a new one with manual transmition this time and the new car does not make that sound. His previous car was polo 1.2Tsi with DSG.

Another friend, owner of a polo Gti has his engine replaced due to oil consumption and his new engine makes that noise. His car also has a DSG. Dealer told him that his car is Ok and has no problem. To be honest he suspects that this sound may occur by the coolant circulation pump (as this is happening to TSI 122 engines when hot engine is switched off and lasts up to 480 seconds) but this is just an assumption since we are talking for a totaly different engine.

So if there are any news I will update this thread, but just out of curiosity... Is your car's gearbox is DSG ?

Hi Stratosg,

Yep, has the 7 speed DSG and thanks for getting back to me with the information. It just seems weird that in was not noticable before the shim fitment. Anyway it is booked into the dealer on the 1st of February, so will post a update as to what if anything is wrong soon after that. If all else fails It has a Skoda factory warranty for 5 years, so at least I will have peace of mind. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in getting info back but here it goes.

Since my last post the car has been into the dealer 3 more times and has not yet been fixed.

What we do know is.

Noise is coming from the Mechatronics unit within the gearbox.

Noise appeared when the dealer did the 15k service, there was also a DSG update.

Since returning to the dealer x 3 they have;

1st visit - Told be it's nothing and is just the engine/turbo/pumps winding down.

2nd visit - Reloaded the DSG update done at 15 k service as they said it did not load correctly 1st time.

3rd visit(different dealer) - downloaded a Skoda "fix" as per communications with Skoda International.

So far nothing has fixed the issue. As previously mentioned the motor is a 1.2ltr, coupled to a 7 speed DSG.

I am once again going back to the last dealer and once again they have told me Skoda International have asked them to keep the car and run more tests. They tell me it is all good to drive and is safe and no damage is occurring further.

More updates as they come to hand.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I bought a VW Polo 1.2 TSI + 7 speed DSG and I hear this hissing sound every time I switch off the engine. The sound is very similar to what the suspension makes while crawling over speed bumps, may be I will record it and upload the video. But it seems many of you have already been facing it. Any luck with this hissing sound after engine switch off? Any tips?