• 4 weeks later...

@Lambo1 did you get this sorted: Faulty Electric Windows with 4 Mechanics Saying Different Things - Skoda Roomster Mk I - BRISKODA  ?

As you can see, in the post above this one, I believe I've now found out how to fix these modules. If you're still struggling with a non-working or intermittent one, I could maybe fix it?

No charge if I can't, and 20% off as my first paying customer if I can?

• 1 month later...

@Nivek74; why not send me the (Polo) module referred to here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/499167-electric-window-problem/

and I'll check it over for you to see if it has the problem I expect. 

If it has I'll extend my 20% off offer mentioned above to you. If not I'll return it FOC. 

Do check that fuse though.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Irishpitman77 maybe the above posts can assist you? I have (RHD) Roomster units ready to go as exchanges if you wanted to go down that route.

Comment relates to this enquiry: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/501441-front-electric-window-issues-still/

Edited by Wino

Having seen one in the flesh for the first time this past week, I can now happily report that the 6Y1959801A and 6Y2959802A parts as found in the driver's door of cars with front and rear electric windows can now be included in what is repairable here.

Edited by Breezy_Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Some part numbering info that I have recently, I think, understood.

There is much more info on this label than just in the 9-digit VW group part number at the top of the label. The key thing to note about that 6Yx95980x number is that on passenger side modules, the 3rd and 9th digit are always different, on driver's side modules they are always the same.

Suffix A after the 9th digit indicates a module made for a car with all four windows electric

Example.jpg.fdaf4c2eb677d7ed887b6ace0b56e633.jpg

With reference to this photo, and the colour coding I've added to the bottom line, here is my best understanding so far of what this info means, and most or all of the variants you may see. 

The green box identifies the brand the module was made/programmed for.

Always either SK for Skoda, or VW for Volkswagen.

The three-numeral section underlined in orange is model identification.

240 for VW Polo and Skoda Fabia Mk1; 

250 for Skoda Fabia Mk2,

258 for Skoda Roomster, and

750 for VW Transporter.

The two letters underlined in blue are always either DD or PD.

As far as I can see this always means Driver's Door and Passenger Door respectively. There may be a numeral 2 or 4 in between these two letters, 4 meaning 4-doors all with electric windows, but the 2 is often omitted (treated as the default?). 

The last two characters underlined in red (RS or LS)  indicate whether the module was made for a Right-Hand Drive car or Left-Hand Drive. "Right Steering" or "Left Steering"

Hope this proves useful, comments welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Breezy_Pete
clarification
  • Like 2

And he is also a great asset to the forum!

Pete, have you considered offering your service on Ebay? I had a caravan power supply repaired by someone like yourself who did it as a sideline & I think only the one unit and rapidly became known as the go to guy, he is very much like yourself, wanting to save people money while saving serviceable equipment from landfill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind words and good ideas.

One of my customers recently did also suggest that I should branch out and sell on ebay, Facebook etc. saying it had been quite hard to find me via here. I've only ever bought stuff, never sold, on eBay, but I have seen services offered so it could well be viable, but...

There are quite a strict set of rules governing use of this section, intended to make sure the forum benefits, not just myself, fair enough. I think they expressly forbid various things like having a website dedicated to the same product, but I'm not sure how rigid they are.

It may be time to stump up a bit of cash to become a forum sponsor or registered advertiser which would open things up to easier communication, maybe.

I'll try to chat with @ColinD at some point when he has time to see what the options are.  :)

Aside from the commission payable to Ebay I think its very easy for a hobbyist like yourself to offer a service on ebay without the hassle of a website and also with the convenience of turning the tap on and off as it were when you dont want to be obliged to return communications. With a web site you would be forever fielding questions, the communication ends up taking up all of your time, different business but same problem, its why I would pay the commission to Booking.com for rentals, people just clicked on reserve and they paid and that was it.

• Thanks 1

Another very satisfied customer of Pete's. I'm so glad that I came across his posts on the Polo forums and then also on Briskoda. I'd previously searched the likes of Ebay and that is probably a minefield of untested units and being sold for more than Pete's service for a refurb unit. Pete provides an absolutely top notch service with updates at each stage. I took full advantage of the service exchange program to save stripping the faulty one out first, sending it off and waiting for it to be returned to me. The refund was processed just as soon as the faulty unit was delivered back to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I would highly recommend the service which Pete provides. It took me over 3 years to find a solution which was not buying a new unit from VW/Skoda. I had numerous attempts to fix the issue and finally came across Pete on this forum.

My wife was on the verge of wanting an alternative car as without opening windows the car was not easy use (parking barriers/tickets etc) and as new driver she did not feel confident with this situation.

Communications were great and the unit arrived very quickly, he was also very helpful in guiding me through another issue which I had. Worth noting , the car was a Skoda Fabia Mk1 but I know from the polo forum he is very knowledgable on those cars also and an incredibly helpful person.

Thanks Pete 😀👏

Exchange stock update.

The following motor modules are packed and ready for rapid dispatch, all for RHD cars:

Fabia Mk1 - 6Y2959802 

Fabia Mk2 - 6Y1959801 

Roomster - 6Y1959801

Polo 9N/9N3 - 6Y1959801 (just front elec windows)

Polo 9N/9N3 - 6Y1959801A (all 4 elec windows)

Transporter T5 - 6Y1959801

I had a bit of a play installing all (but 1) of the physically mountable units in my 9N3 Polo, and confirmed  that a 6Y1959801 from a Roomster does not work properly in a Polo, the up/down controls are reversed, and with one-touch operation programmed the window doesn't go all the way up when requested (apporx 30mm shy).  I suspect a Fabia mk2 unit will do similar, will check later and add info. Edit: yes, up/down reversed and doesn't make it all the way up when one-touch programmed.

Polo and Transporter modules do seem to be interchangeable with each other according to yesterday's fitment of a T5 module in a 9N3 Polo, although I haven't access to a T5 to try a Polo motor in it.  If anyone reading has put a replacement motor from a Polo in a T5 and knows if one-touch operation works properly, I'd be grateful to hear about it. Polo modules are distinguished by having VW240xxxx as the bottom line of the part number label, T5 modules have VW750xxxx instead.

If anyone's curiosity is piqued by the above observation about one-touch closure not working with the mismatched Roomster/Polo situation, I'd be glad of someone putting a tape measure up the rear edge of their Roomster (and Fabia mk2) drivers door window to compare the glass height between seals with that of a 9N3 Polo (which I'll add to this post later) edit: 445mm, on 5-door 9N3 Polo. 

Pete

Edited by Breezy_Pete
F2 WM behaviour checked, dim of glass added
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Breezy Pete, are you still offering this service? My window motor has finally given up after 6 months of intermittent operation. I’m after part number 6y1959801 for my 57plate fabia. Cheers

Hello Hotno987, yes I am.

I'll send you a private message to discuss further. I see you have Oxfordshire as location so we can possibly avoid posting things to and fro.

Talk to you shortly.

Pete,

Just to reiterate a big thanks from me for providing the Transporter T5 - 6Y1959801 drivers side electric window motor.  Fitted it today and windows, central locking, headlight adjusters and electric mirrors all working again.

Brilliant easy service, thanks again!

Martin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mini-update time.

Added some more tags to hopefully make this easier to get to from the wider web.

Stock levels of exchange units are healthy, of the types listed a few posts above.   👍

If you think you might have an affected car, but you're not sure whether it will have a motor module type covered by these repairs, please send me a message with VIN and I'll do my best to work out which exact module you will have fitted, without you having to get in behind the door-card to see or confirm.

Can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but if you're new to this forum and don't know how to send a (PM) private message, try this.

Join the forum (not too tricky nor time consuming, and free!), then:

On a computer, mouse over the photo of me and Biscuit on the left there, and you'll see a pop-up with options at the bottom including Message, give that a click.

On a phone, just tap on my username or photo and it'll take you to my profile which has a button with a picture of an envelope near the top of the page. 

Lastly, if you're within what you consider a reasonable travelling distance of Radley, Oxfordshire and want help with removal/installation of a motor module, I may be able to assist with, at reasonable cost.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
sp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Pete, I've got a Skoda roomster scout on an 08 plate both windows do nothing most days. I'm not savvy with cars much so I'd struggle to pull the bits off. Do you by any chance do a repair service if I were to bring the car to you? If so what area are you?

Cheers,

Bru