The bearing had 130.000 km and the wear was only minor. I will also replace the other one and then conculde whether I was right to replace them, or that is was just the tires. First impression is that the noise is reduced.

The removed bearing felt smooth in my hands, made some minor noise when spinning on the car. The new bearing was utterly silent when spinning it manually on the car.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my 2006 Octavia 1.9 diesel, & thought this might be of interest to others thinking of doing the job themselves. Having read other posts, it looked as though I would need to buy both M14 & M18 splined tools. My socket set is 1/2" drive & I was having a problem locating the tools locally. Most places only had 3/4" drive. I have an experienced VW mechanic who does the more difficult jobs for me, so I thought that I would get him to do it as by the time I bought the tools I might just as well pay him.

He did not have to remove the caliper, only the disk, so the M14 tool wasn't needed, The problem diyers might run into is doing the new M18 bolt up to the correct torque. The 180NM isn't too much of a problem, but the 180 degrees after that is very tight. He used a 3/4" drive & a metre long extension & it took a lot of oomph to get it there. I think I would have struggled using a 1/2" drive. He says it is important to get it that tight. Have fun, if you are going to do it yourself. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Just about to try this myself. I was watching a tutorial by "autodoc" on YouTube, seems to be a big reputable site, but they have the rear bolt torqued up to 143nm. That's a hell of a difference to what is in that guide! 

Is 180nm+180deg definitely right? 

• 1 year later...
On 01/07/2012 at 23:47, Amateurtje said:

I put a detailed description with photos on my weblog, including

- tools needed

- parts needed

- work steps

http://www.njnoordhoek.com/?p=905

http://www.njnoordhoek.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/new-bearing.jpg

Hi Amateurtje,

I followed your guide and everything worked out fine.

I purchased an SKF Aftermarket hub (SKF VKBA3644) direct from SKF via Amazon for £45.50 (in Aug 2021) https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKF-VKBA-3644-Wheel-bearing/dp/B00AJU0I58/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Bearing was an easy fit on my 2007 Octavia 2 1.9TDi Combi.

I found I was able to remove the disc WITHOUT removing the caliper bracket, which saved the difficulty in removing the triple square bolts, so I just needed to remove the caliper bolts, which are 13mm Socket and only 35Nm torque to re-fit.

I managed to re-torque the hub screw to 180Nm and managed 180 degrees (using an axle stand as you suggested) after much pulling with an extra length of tube on my 600mm 1/2" drive breaker bar, which was flexing a bit!

Thanks for the assistance.

Russ