Part Worn or not?

Ive just bagged myself something of a bargain - a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres with 6mm of tread on for 35 notes fitted!

well pleased, cause im now running these tyres all round, and not one of them have i bought new...

so, whats your view on part worn tyres?

would you get them on your motor, bearing in mind how much tyres go for in this day and age??

Iain

I personally wouldn't buy part worn tyres. I like to know the history of the important bits of my car and for tyres I like to know that they've been treated properly.

Mostly just an OCD thing for me though...I'm particularly obsessive over this sort of thing :p

6mm of decent tread for £17.50 a corner is a darn good deal though, why on earth why they selling them? Last tyres I bought were 2x ContiPremiumContact 2 for £65 a corner, and F1 Autocentres kindly screwed up the tracking in the process of "fixing" it. I still need to get that sorted actually...

Edited by andrewkeith5

You should look up some of the legal jargon behind part worn tires. I used to buy part worm up until the point that they can invalidate your insurance, be of poor quality etc,

Buy them all the time and never had issues. Best to buy them when they are barely worn at all. The paradas I have on now were basically like new so I knew there was little chance of a dodgy past. I won't buy less than half worn though for that reason. And as above, I'll go over them with a fine toothcomb before committing. Forgot to also add, I buy in matching pairs only, (or 4)

oh, thats what i do too - matching pairs and if youre really lucky, theres 4 of the same too!!

i give them a real good look over, (not that i'm a tyre expert, but i know what to look for) and the guy that i get them from has seen me a few times and also people that i recommend to him too so my theory is that he wouldnt want to get me any dodgy tyres with the possibility of me taking alot of business for him elsewhere!

Iain

Can't bring myself to buy em... certain corners shouldnt be cut imo and tyres is one of them

Generally my rule is the bits that make it move or stop, or change direction - and tyres fit all three categories ;)

I can understand people rather buy new than part worn, but to the people who say how dangerous they are, when you buy a new car do you go out and buy a full set of new tyres as soon as you get the car home? At the same time, if buying part worn you would give them a good going over first.

Before now i`v needed a couple of tyres last min and the only place I could get hold of a set there and there were some part worns. Done the job, however I rather buy new and get the full use out of them.

Cant possibly be anything wrong with it! providing condition is good and not perished or aged. The bead has to be stretched in the first place, so redoing it isnt an issue, any problems caused must only be coincidence. I have NEVER bought a brand new tyre!!! I do 30k miles a year, through some of the harshest winters in britain, and some of the best drivers roads in britain. Not a problem! ever! my dad buys new tyres, hes had blowouts, and once he rubbed against the curb and poof it just went down, its a 50/50 the circumstance surrounding tyre failure would affect new and part worn tyres..... Just my two pennies

Something else to consider. Last car,was an Astra, with a goodly amount of tread all round. With the mileage on car ,I'd suggest thsat these were second set on car. But closer inspection showed these good tyres had a lot of tread, but cracks in the tread. With my mileage, I opted for budget tyres. No problems in wet, but I hold the opinion ,that they'd wear out before they cracked in the tread area. I found problems with Fabia origonal tyres - front ones couldn't handle the sunken drains round here and bulged. So they got swapped for a better tyre. Last tyre change,I went for part worns, as mu mileage was low, and my maximum speed would be low. Additionally, where to get part worns from. I get mine from a mate of SIL. This mate is a biker. And bikers know what to look for in tyres, especially a biker tyre fitter.

Added to my post- for some strange reason , we have a high rate of punctures rounf here.Some nails/screws in tread ( depending on how ofter "mummy" across the road has to park properly, others are sidewall damge , ( again depending on IMHO) how often "mummy" has problems getting into a space ,and leaving room for an ambulance etc toget through.

Edited by VWD

Can't bring myself to buy em... certain corners shouldnt be cut imo and tyres is one of them

I'm the same. A guy in my work bought 2 Michelin part worn tyres for £44. Great deal but I still know when I replace mine I'll go brand new. And a decent make too.

Cant possibly be anything wrong with it! providing condition is good and not perished or aged.

The problem is that can't be guaranteed. If a tyre has as much as 6mm tread left, then what possible reasons are there for selling it? Either it's someone incredibly anal about tyres, the owner is replacing wheels and for some reason not selling the tyres with them, the wheels have failed and been replaced with a different size, or the vehicle has been involved in an accident bad enough to warrant new wheels or write-off. In the first 2 cases, which are probably the rarest, you're probably alright. In the second two circumstances though, the tyres are likely to have taken a hell of a beating as part of whatever happened, so even if they look alright there is a chance they might not be.

It's all opinion really, I imagine most people are probably willing to take the chance, but I consider the tyres to be a vital safety component and so I am not willing to - I would much rather have brand new tyres, fitted by the place I bought them, which at least gives some form of statutory legal recourse to manufacturer or retailer if god-forbid they were to fail. For the same reason I always buy premium brand tyres (normally Continental).

Edited by andrewkeith5

I have always had part worn tyres. Get through pairs on the front in 3 months.... Never had an issue due to tyre being part worn. A nail will go in a new tyre just as easy as a part worn tyre. I have had a few with 6 to 7mm tread on them. I will be giving them more abuse than any of their previous owners :devil:

Unless you always buy brand new cars you get 5 part-worns every time you change your car, and I don't see people immediately taking their new secondhand car straight down to the tyre centre to have new ones fitted.

I buy part worns quite frequently, much more frequently than new tyres. With part worns I always inspect the tyre first to look for damage, once it's fitted I have another close look for any bulges or nasties, if I'm not happy it gets rejected. I always buy nearly new tyres with at least 7mm on them. I recently bought 4 bridgestone Turanza's 225/45/17 for my BMW for £120 the set, they had been fitted and had seen the road but they were absolutely as new, still had the marks from the moulding process across the tread, they were from an ex- Met Police car, apparently whan a cop car gets a puncture they replace all 4 tyres, the salvage dealer I visit had a lorry full of them!

Let me see, £120 for 4 "as new" part worns with a full 8mm of tread, or £120 each for brand new ones, which was the better value?