140 TDi Remap - end results?

Duck_Pond

I'm mulling over the idea of getting the Yeti remapped, probably at Shark. But before I do, I would like to get an understanding of how it changes the performance of the car, in terms of acceleration, power bands, fuel economy etc.

Coming from the (standard) Fabia vRS 1.9TDi engine to this, I'm finding it's lacking in grunt on the motorway, especially in 6th gear, and the kick-in-the-back surge is barely there now, though I admit it does pick up speed well enough in the power band, and is just smoother in doing so. Down to the character of the CR engine compared to the PD, I assume.

I would only be looking at taking it up to about 175 - 180 bhp, as I do 22k+ miles per annum, and don't want to risk engine / component failure.

Please no lectures or questions on why I didn't get a 170 to start with - they are like rocking horse poo on the 2nd hand market, and most are £3k above what I had to spend. And I know I need to check with my insurance first.

I'd just like to get some feedback from those out there who have had the upgrade so I can make a decision. Especially anyone with a manual box.

TIA.

Id be surprised if you'll get 180bhp from a remap on the 140tdi but going Shark at least means it'll be safe and (from experience) the most driveable and real world useable of any remap. Its an upgrade I wouldnt hesitate in doing if I had a 140tdi. :)

There is many a thread on this forum comparing CR to PD. General consensus is that a 140bhp PD always feels faster than a 140bhp CR. It is that narrow band where it delivers its power that makes it feel that way. A CR is equally fast against the clock and much quieter doing it. So it really is just your brain being tricked into believing a PD is faster / has more kick.

Rockhopper has had his 140 CR DSG mapped by Shark. So he is best geared to answer this question.

The 140 is pretty much the same engine as the 170, the latter of which will map to around 210bhp.

180bhp on a 140, no problem.

Shark have mapped a 110 CR to around 180bhp.

Yes, PD feels faster but isn't due to the way it delivers the power and torque over the rev range compared to the CR.

• Like 1

The 140 is pretty much the same engine as the 170, the latter of which will map to around 210bhp.

180bhp on a 140, no problem.

Shark have mapped a 110 CR to around 180bhp.

Yes, PD feels faster but isn't due to the way it delivers the power and torque over the rev range compared to the CR.

180bhp? Every day is a school day! :yes: That should drive nicely. Im sooo hoping VAG start installing the 2 litre bi-turbo in the Yeti. 300lb/ft torque as standard.... but thats off topic...

You're correct about the power delivery. Not that it's advisable, but watching the speed increase on the speedometer shows it picks up well, in the power band, just not with the huge lag... lag... lag... whay-hay.. oh, change gear style.

Maybe I'm being unfair on it...

You're correct about the power delivery. Not that it's advisable, but watching the speed increase on the speedometer shows it picks up well, in the power band, just not with the huge lag... lag... lag... whay-hay.. oh, change gear style.

Maybe I'm being unfair on it...

You'll get used to. You'll soon realise how quickly you leave cars behind when you look in your rearview mirror - without the other people in your car even being aware of it. The CR goes about its business in a far more dignified way compared to a quick-shove-and-change-gear PD. But saying that, I do sometimes miss the instant shove I had from my Audi PD.

I've still got my "nail" for the kick in the back feel. Might use it on Sunday, if nothing falls off it and I can unseize the brakes! :)

Problem is, it used to feel dated when I got in to use it from the Fabia. It'll feel prehistoric after the luxury of the Yeti :D

Edited by Duck_Pond

180bhp? Every day is a school day! :yes: That should drive nicely. Im sooo hoping VAG start installing the 2 litre bi-turbo in the Yeti. 300lb/ft torque as standard.... but thats off topic...

What would you want a bi-turbo Yeti for?

Better acceleration from lower RPM in my view.

But the best we have at the moment is a 1.8tsi that'll take a bigger turbo to give around 320bhp.

Having taken my 170CR round Castle Combe I'm not sure you need that much though as you do experience quite a lot of body roll in the corners.

Interestingly, although it does roll quite impressively at high speed it is good for inspiring confience and you can feel the car moving around and telling you whats going on. I found it quite communicative which shows a good set up, so I could get it at grip limit quite often round the corners, which is why I was leaving regular VRS models (not very modified ones) behind. 4x4 helps too of course.

Unless it's a trick question... For the same reason you'd want a bi turbo setup under any other bonnet I guess; Drivability and straight line performance throughout the rev range. The smaller turbo will make it more tractable and responsive from low revs, the bigger turbo improving the mid range and top end to give it big advantages on the autobahn whilst offering low co2 figures and decent economy when cruising. :-)

Somebody called?

I have the DSG equipped CR140 with a Shark remap.

I was unsure how effective the remap was as I've had it on the car since 2000 miles approx it now has over 25,000 miles.

Anyway. I drove the exact same yeti (in Cappuccino and black leather which was my original order - prefer white & Gobi but I digress) this week.

I drove it over about 100 miles and then drove my Yeti over the same roads.

Interestingly they showed the same economy, but mine has been adjusted by 10%, so mine was about 10% more economical.

As regards the drive, the standard CR140 felt okay, but mid and top end on the motorway was, well, slow. Whereas mine revs round to the red line like a petrol. The bottom end feels very similar, but the mid and top end, it flys, okay, not in a GT-R fashion, but probably about the same as the CR170, or possibly even better.

The remap and the flappy paddles make for fun driving.

To the OP, read my thread in the Yeti projects section. Link in my signature.

Unless it's a trick question... For the same reason you'd want a bi turbo setup under any other bonnet I guess; Drivability and straight line performance throughout the rev range. The smaller turbo will make it more tractable and responsive from low revs, the bigger turbo improving the mid range and top end to give it big advantages on the autobahn whilst offering low co2 figures and decent economy when cruising. :-)

No it was'nt a trick question, and dont get me wrong, I can see the sense in some saloons and hatchbacks, but not a Yeti. It always amazes me when people spend thousands of pounds buying a vehicle, and then get it remapped or whatever, to make it go faster etc. Surely common sense would say you bought the wrong vehicle, and should have had a more powerful one in the first place.

• Like 1

No it was'nt a trick question, and dont get me wrong, I can see the sense in some saloons and hatchbacks, but not a Yeti. It always amazes me when people spend thousands of pounds buying a vehicle, and then get it remapped or whatever, to make it go faster etc. Surely common sense would say you bought the wrong vehicle, and should have had a more powerful one in the first place.

Yours is an entirely logical view but just assume that the size and arrangement of the Yeti is just what you want but that the manufacturers have calculated their best strategy for sales-and being part of VAG their strategy includes protecting the market for VW and Audi and-as a result-they won't fit the combination of components which you would best like.

One answer is not to buy a Yeti and seek some other manufacturer who does put together a combination which suits you better, another is to modify the car you have. I would have preferred a more powerful engine and better brakes and a 170 would fit the bill better but I had reached the time I wanted to change and so an ex demo 140 is what was available.

If you follow your view then some of the things others do make no sense.

I wanted an MDI interface so as to use an iPod-so the nearest would have been a Tiguan, instead I had one fitted contrary to Skoda policy.I regard bent wire bonnet props as poor and so bought and fitted a hydraulic one. The Seat and Skoda habit of wrapping the battery in a piece of insulating felt seems to me to cheapen the underbonnet area so I fitted the Golf battery cover. I might decide to have a re-map or fit the larger brakes from the 170.

For me a better Yeti-for you inexplicable.

If you are fortunate enough to find a vehicle which exactly suits you you vindicate the calculations of the marketing men and accountants which shows they are exactly on top of their task.

Edited by JCP

Interesting view but one that I totally disagree with I'm afraid. The Yeti offers me flexible long haul family transport with reasonable running costs and in a fairly compact format. I like rarer cars also. A remap to what is effectively a pretty unstressed engine as standard, especially having come from much faster previous vehicles myself, makes very good sense. I've remapped every car I've ever owned bar one and every one has enhanced the vehicle and made it better to drive. The Yeti is the perfect vehicle for us and I bought the 1.8tsi as it was the best platform for a remap. I've not been disappointed in any way and anyone that's been in it (Inc other Yeti owners) have been impressed with the results. :-)

• Like 1

Yours is an entirely logical view but just assume that the size and arrangement of the Yeti is just what you want but that the manufacturers have calculated their best strategy for sales-and being part of VAG their strategy includes protecting the market for VW and Audi and-as a result-they won't fit the combination of components which you would best like.

One answer is not to buy a Yeti and seek some other manufacturer who does put together a combination which suits you better, another is to modify the car you have. I would have preferred a more powerful engine and better brakes and a 170 would fit the bill better but I had reached the time I wanted to change and so an ex demo 140 is what was available.

If you follow your view then some of the things others do make no sense.

I wanted an MDI interface so as to use an iPod-so the nearest would have been a Tiguan, instead I had one fitted contrary to Skoda policy.I regard bent wire bonnet props as poor and so bought and fitted a hydraulic one. The Seat and Skoda habit of wrapping the battery in a piece of insulating felt seems to me to cheapen the underbonnet area so I fitted the Golf battery cover. I might decide to have a re-map or fit the larger brakes from the 170.

For me a better Yeti-for you inexplicable.

If you are fortunate enough to find a vehicle which exactly suits you you vindicate the calculations of the marketing men and accountants which shows they are exactly on top of their task.

What an absolutely brilliant reply, well done, and I agree 100% with the smaller mods, battery cover,bonnet prop etc, indeed I have done small things to almost every car I've owned, but I still can't understand buying a new vehicle and then modifying it, to make it go quicker.

There is quite a bit in this thread about remapping a CR140 - http://www.briskoda....-tdi-dsg-remap/

However, here's a post I wrote in it to give my specific reasons and experience of remapping the CR140;-

"I had a very enjoyable fast run home last night. The performance seems to be very close to my mapped Octavia vRS TDI pulling 205bhp! Certainly there is noticeable acceleration on the motorway whereas before Kevin would merely gain speed. The gearbox has already learnt to pull a higher gear with the extra torque available, at least it does not change down at the slightest opportunity, and I even executed a couple of A-road overtakes very comfortably that I would shied away from before. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I did a little performance testing en-route to work this morning.

I have a long uphill M-way entry slip road a few miles from home with the entry off a tight roundabout and have, over the last week or so, done some acceleration runs (using my mobile phone as a stopwatch and looking at the speedo; not hugely accurate but at least indicative) over 30 - 70 mph in 4th with an average time of 19.5 secs. Several runs done this morning with an average time of 14.75 secs. An improvement of 4.75 secs. emoticon-0105-wink.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Kevin is running very smoothly, with gearchanges being smoother than before. As well as the clear increase in torque the 'top end' has improved noticeably. Previously there was little point running above 3,750 - 4,000 rpm in 4th or 5th as the rate of rise in engine revs dropped of. Now; there is a strong and steady pull to 4,500rpm and beyond.

Overall I now have the car I'd wanted in the first place; a CR170 with DSG (albeit it feels like its pulling 185/190 bhp for sure; perhaps a tad more).

Wee hee! emoticon-0103-cool.gifemoticon-0105-wink.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gif"

I hope, Duck_Pond, this helps your thinking and decision making.

Interesting view but one that I totally disagree with I'm afraid. The Yeti offers me flexible long haul family transport with reasonable running costs and in a fairly compact format. I like rarer cars also. A remap to what is effectively a pretty unstressed engine as standard, especially having come from much faster previous vehicles myself, makes very good sense. I've remapped every car I've ever owned bar one and every one has enhanced the vehicle and made it better to drive. The Yeti is the perfect vehicle for us and I bought the 1.8tsi as it was the best platform for a remap. I've not been disappointed in any way and anyone that's been in it (Inc other Yeti owners) have been impressed with the results. :-)

That's fair comment, do you also upgrade the other stuff like brakes, suspension, exhaust to compensate for the increase in power and performance?

I'm planning to upgrade the brakes like Bahnstormer has and put on the 312 discs, but don't actually need to as I don't drive the car fast - who can afford to throw money away these days if it comes out of your own pocket? by driving slightly slower you can save so much, and my monthly spend on fuel is quite large, having now covered 25,000 miles in 19 months.

It is quite a simple task as only the disks and carriers need replacing, but it is worth replacing the pads at the same time. Which ones though? standard or something like Bahnstormer uses?

That's fair comment, do you also upgrade the other stuff like brakes, suspension, exhaust to compensate for the increase in power and performance?

Yup.

312mm front discs from the CR170 with EBC 'red stuff' pads, eibach prokit lowered/stiffer springs and 18" alloys with 225/45 18 tyres.

That enough?

Yup.

312mm front discs from the CR170 with EBC 'red stuff' pads, eibach prokit lowered/stiffer springs and 18" alloys with 225/45 18 tyres.

That enough?

So it's not much use for off road now then?

Yes, as per my sig my brakes are uprated to cope and they cope very adequately. Suspension I wouldnt alter on this vehicle as it's taking too much away from what it is at it's core IMO and i use it off road also. The standard exhaust is fine; quiet and relaxing on a run. I'm not going for peak figure gains on this vehicle so it's more than adequate.

• Like 1