140 TDi Remap - end results?

Duck_Pond

Not too sure on this uprated everything after a remap...why......I don't go any faster.......I don't corner any faster...so my car doesn't need better brakes, ( they would be nice but not a needed) the standard ones are suitable for the speeds the car did before and it's not going any faster now, I don't drive it on track ...the only difference I have is I can now overtake quickly and safely and I can match speeds on the motorway easily to make pulling out into traffic ridiculously easy, it does a couple of mpg more than it did ...oooh and it wears tyres out quicker....it just makes it a better, easier and safer car to drive

Yes, as per my sig my brakes are uprated to cope and they cope very adequately. Suspension I wouldnt alter on this vehicle as it's taking too much away from what it is at it's core IMO and i use it off road also. The standard exhaust is fine; quiet and relaxing on a run. I'm not going for peak figure gains on this vehicle so it's more than adequate.

Hi FocusZetec

I can't send you a PM as your inbox must be full.....

What discs did you go for? standard or the non-standard performance grooved and drilled ones?

Any idea of part numbers?

Cheers

Mike

Hi FocusZetec

I can't send you a PM as your inbox must be full.....

What discs did you go for? standard or the non-standard performance grooved and drilled ones?

Any idea of part numbers?

Cheers

Mike

Oh, my freedom membership has expired - thought I'd have got a warning beforehand! :-( Right Mike, I just bought standard Skoda disks - asked for ones from the octy mk2 VRS - did this because at the time the dealership were closing down and were offering exceptional discounts on stock parts - of which these were! :-) Job is a very straight forward one from that point on. :-)

For those what's wish to know, the part nos for the parts required to upgrade CR140 brakes to CR170 312mm spec are;-

Brake Discs - 1KO 615301AA and Calliper carriers - 5NO 615125. Two, or a pair, of each being required. Brake Pads used are the same.

Naturally, disc and pads can be swapped for after market items to suit taste and depth of pockets. Also one could always just fit uprated pads into the OE spec CR140 brakes.

Not too sure on this uprated everything after a remap...why......I don't go any faster.......I don't corner any faster...so my car doesn't need better brakes, ( they would be nice but not a needed) the standard ones are suitable for the speeds the car did before and it's not going any faster now, I don't drive it on track ...the only difference I have is I can now overtake quickly and safely and I can match speeds on the motorway easily to make pulling out into traffic ridiculously easy, it does a couple of mpg more than it did ...oooh and it wears tyres out quicker....it just makes it a better, easier and safer car to drive

Fair comment but I worked on the principal that as I was upgrading the ability of my Yeti to go faster, to the level of the CR170, I ought to have CR170 spec brakes.

• Like 1

Fair comment but I worked on the principal that as I was upgrading the ability of my Yeti to go faster, to the level of the CR170, I ought to have CR170 spec brakes.

Don't get me wrong......if I was going to drive faster, maybe in Europe or do track days I would put bigger brakes on in a flash, but I can still only go as fast as the sign on the roadside says the car is the same ....it just gets to 70 a whole lot quicker, and to Honest they are quite good anyway

The 140 is pretty much the same engine as the 170, the latter of which will map to around 210bhp.

180bhp on a 140, no problem.

Shark have mapped a 110 CR to around 180bhp.

Yes, PD feels faster but isn't due to the way it delivers the power and torque over the rev range compared to the CR.

The turbo part numbers are different on 140 vs 170hp versions. Why do you think VAG chose a different turbo for the 170hp engine? Would it be because the 140hp turbo was past it's pressure/flow limits at 170hp or something else?

The reason you aren't seeing more than 350Nm in these cars is because VAG don't have suitable gearboxes for the transverse platforms. Both the 6sp manual and 6sp DSG are rated to 350Nm. I expect when they revise their gearbox torque ratings, they'll revise the engines torque to suit.

Edited by Kiwibacon

The turbo part numbers are different on 140 vs 170hp versions. Why do you think VAG chose a different turbo for the 170hp engine? Would it be because the 140hp turbo was past it's pressure/flow limits at 170hp or something else?

The reason you aren't seeing more than 350Nm in these cars is because VAG don't have suitable gearboxes for the transverse platforms. Both the 6sp manual and 6sp DSG are rated to 350Nm. I expect when they revise their gearbox torque ratings, they'll revise the engines torque to suit.

Ok, I'm intrigued then; how can VW use the same gearboxes for the 2 litre bi turbo engine? That's outputting 180ps and 300lb/ft iirc as standard. And yes, I'd agree with your first comment regarding why they up sized the 170 turbo unit.

Ok, I'm intrigued then; how can VW use the same gearboxes for the 2 litre bi turbo engine? That's outputting 180ps and 300lb/ft iirc as standard. And yes, I'd agree with your first comment regarding why they up sized the 170 turbo unit.

Which car is that in?

The gearbox used in the Skoda yeti/octavia2/superb2 is the MQ350 manual or DQ250 DSG which are both only used up to 350Nm. The V6 petrols and the 170hp diesels are all sitting at this 350Nm limit when mated to those gearboxes.

The bi-turbo Amarok is a longitudinal layout, VAG's longitudinal gearboxes are quite different. I'm not sure what they use in their vans.

Edited by Kiwibacon

Ah, I looked at a 180ps California three weeks ago and the (knowledgeable sounding) owner said it was the same gearbox as in his Passat! Guessing he didn't mean exactly the same gearbox unit then?

I have been told the DSG 6 speed is safe up to 440Nm.

Yes we know the 110 & 140 are almost exactly the same engines and the 170 has a different turbo and a few other parts.

This has been covered extensively in several posts in the past.

I have been told the DSG 6 speed is safe up to 440Nm.

A lifting shackle with a "safe working load" of 3 ton will take at least 15 ton before it breaks. But it's still only "safe" to 3 ton. Anything over that causes a little damage each time and reduces it's life. The higher the load, the shorter the life.

If VAG thought they could run more torque through the 6 speed DSG without more warranty claims, you can guarantee they would. I've heard of some silly torque figures being run through the 6 speed manual, but those doing it know the risks.

Thanks for the feedback from those who have had the upgrade. I've noticed that mine is noticeably quicker when it's low on fuel, i.e. lighter, so I am still considering the upgrade as it would make it more fun to drive and more responsive on the motorways.

The brake upgrade also interests me - does anyone have a price guestimate on this?

Thanks for the feedback from those who have had the upgrade. I've noticed that mine is noticeably quicker when it's low on fuel, i.e. lighter, so I am still considering the upgrade as it would make it more fun to drive and more responsive on the motorways.

The brake upgrade also interests me - does anyone have a price guestimate on this?

If you check the part nos of Brake Discs - 1KO 615301AA and Calliper carriers - 5NO 615125 two, or a pair, of each being required (Brake Pads are optional) with these guys;- www.skodaparts.com and then add a hour an a half for labour it should give you an idea.

Better acceleration from lower RPM in my view.

But the best we have at the moment is a 1.8tsi that'll take a bigger turbo to give around 320bhp.

Having taken my 170CR round Castle Combe I'm not sure you need that much though as you do experience quite a lot of body roll in the corners.

Interestingly, although it does roll quite impressively at high speed it is good for inspiring confience and you can feel the car moving around and telling you whats going on. I found it quite communicative which shows a good set up, so I could get it at grip limit quite often round the corners, which is why I was leaving regular VRS models (not very modified ones) behind. 4x4 helps too of course.

I found the same in my 140 Richard. The 4x4 bits mean the power goes down right where you need it. The little VRS boys would steamroll past in the straights but come the twisties and I was right up there behind them again cursing them seemingly doing 30mph through these!!! (It did not help that they thought one should only drive on the tarmac mind. Bless. That is what the kerbs are for boys...) The roll was also far less than I had expected - but then I knew the Yeti well by then and as you say it communicates very well. I loved my day at Castle Coombe. Really did!

Around the £300+ mark plus fitting.

I bought mine from www.Skodaparts.com as well. lots cheaper than my local dealer.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting the Yeti remapped, probably at Shark. But before I do, I would like to get an understanding of how it changes the performance of the car, in terms of acceleration, power bands, fuel economy etc.

Coming from the (standard) Fabia vRS 1.9TDi engine to this, I'm finding it's lacking in grunt on the motorway, especially in 6th gear, and the kick-in-the-back surge is barely there now, though I admit it does pick up speed well enough in the power band, and is just smoother in doing so. Down to the character of the CR engine compared to the PD, I assume.

I would only be looking at taking it up to about 175 - 180 bhp, as I do 22k+ miles per annum, and don't want to risk engine / component failure.

Please no lectures or questions on why I didn't get a 170 to start with - they are like rocking horse poo on the 2nd hand market, and most are £3k above what I had to spend. And I know I need to check with my insurance first.

I'd just like to get some feedback from those out there who have had the upgrade so I can make a decision. Especially anyone with a manual box.

TIA.

watch this. taken from my old rear view camera. Some people have already seen it.

Thanks for all the comments.

900000's comments about the way it currently performs seem to have stuck, and yesterday's drive to Blackpool and back, along some twisty A-roads and a lot of motorway revealed that it's already great fun to drive, and if I use the car more like a petrol, it doesn't hang about on the motorways. I think the low-down torque and kick in the Fabia vRS made me into a lazy driver (when I have my diesel head on), as I rarely needed to drop down the box to accelerate. I do in this, but it's just as quick.

I just need to stop stalling it! I think I stalled the Fabia about 5 times in 6+ years of owning it. Stalled this well over that amount in a few months. D'oh.

What attitude have insurance companies taken to people fitting remap?

I'm certainly interested in the Shark setup but just wondered how it has affected insurance premiums.

If it's going to bump it up a lot then I will give it a miss.

What attitude have insurance companies taken to people fitting remap?

I'm certainly interested in the Shark setup but just wondered how it has affected insurance premiums.

If it's going to bump it up a lot then I will give it a miss.

Skoda Insurance added 10% to my premium; just under £40, which I thought was quite fair enough considering its as if they are insuring a CR170, not CR140.