Saloon or estate

one of the best things aboute the estate is you dont get wet when loading the shopping -changing your golf shoes or having a cup of tea and a slice of cake when its raining you cant do that with a hatchback.and there is room for two.

bill

Thanks to all.

One thing I am getting from this thread is that there is no regrets for having a Superb, be it hatch or estate.

Damn right. This is the 15th car I've owned and it's streets ahead of anything else. Is there any other company in the whole history of commerce that has revolutionised its brand and quality in the way that Skoda has over the past 15 years? I've known a few that have gone the other way... They tell me that there's still some brand snobbery out there - and I admit to my shame that I've given lengthy explanations of my choice to dubious colleagues - but the day will surely soon be upon us when Skodas are genuinely perceived to be on a par with VW/Audi/Honda/Volvo.

pound for pound the superb is already better than all of them.i think its the other car makers that need to do the catching up

bill

I think three or four years back Skoda had the edge not on the product but because the dealers were so good , I used to rate my dealer very highly but recently I have felt very let down by them and they dont seem to care less about keeping customers happy anymore , a victim of their own success perhaps

There are good dealers though and i tend to vote with my feet so if the local dealers dont perform then i will buy my cars elsewhere , so a 4 hour round trip coming up to collect my new Fabia

Brookwood,

I had the benefit of a 4 day trial of the estate and took the good lady, my daughter, grandaughter and associated pushchair (and all the other paraphernalia associated with a baby) on a 500 mile round trip to South Wales and to be honest I felt there was more room in my Passat Saloon. I thus tried the Superb Twin Door and it's cavernous by comparison. I've found that the rear seat squab will unclip and stand upright like the estate so the rear seats go perfectly flat and the business of a rear windscreen wiper is a joke. I've had Passat's since 1996 and never a rear wiper. The rear screen heater/demister keeps the screen clear in the rain. The twin door keeps you dry when loading but you can open the smaller boot lid when you need it. Truly a 'Superb' car. Get the twin door - Rosso Brunell - Superb Colour!

Mine is a 140 and after a disappointing start is now starting to return over 50mpg which I always got with my Passats. Looking for a good tuning "chip" now to improve the mpg/torque before hitching up the caravan in September. Any suggestions anyone?

Mike

• Like 1

You only have to look around on the motorways to see how popular Superbs are getting. Skoda must be very pleased. When I picked up my Estate the whiteboard in the sales managers office was covered in orders........

The twin door is truly huge; enough for most people. The bottom line is the extra cost; is it worth it for the occasional wardrobe-moving and the probably nicer look? For me it wasn't, and I still smile at the genius saloon/hatch capability.

Stuart

Forgot to mention in earlier post, the Combi boot is a great place to sit and put on/off walking boots, and shelter from the rain - can't do that with the twin- door - for those outdoor types.

Yep agree with that one...and the dog can still go for his stroll around what is left of the space.

Damn right. This is the 15th car I've owned and it's streets ahead of anything else. Is there any other company in the whole history of commerce that has revolutionised its brand and quality in the way that Skoda has over the past 15 years? I've known a few that have gone the other way... They tell me that there's still some brand snobbery out there - and I admit to my shame that I've given lengthy explanations of my choice to dubious colleagues - but the day will surely soon be upon us when Skodas are genuinely perceived to be on a par with VW/Audi/Honda/Volvo.

Hmm that's interesting. I have found myself going on about my Skoda and then wondering if I was overdoing it and justifying my choice. There is still a lot of brand snobbery around. Outside of taxi drivers there area not a huge amount of private Superb owners in my neck of the woods and there is this little half glance and nod thing with the other driver which happens when one comes the other way, as if we were acknowledging we are part of an enlightened club. There I go again...

To add to my previous comments and Ashmonuts comments on 'Brand Snobbery' I can honestly say that in 45+ years of motoring, nobody has ever come up to me in the street and asked my what my car was, until I got my Superb. "BMW? AUDI?? No - it's a Skoda" "Oh - nice car!"

And it is.

Mike

and the business of a rear windscreen wiper is a joke. I've had Passat's since 1996 and never a rear wiper. The rear screen heater/demister keeps the screen clear in the rain.

The air-flow around wagon/estate bodies is very different to saloons. You do need the rear wiper on estates.

I have owned one liftback/hatch car and 4 wagon/estates. Honestly I can't think of a single reason to buy anything but a wagon/estate. It used to be the wagon versions had terrible rear suspension and a lot of noise. But not in the last 15 years and definitely not in the superb.

Brookwood,

........... I've found that the rear seat squab will unclip and stand upright like the estate so the rear seats go perfectly flat..............

Mike

I've been too busy figuring everything out on my new TwinD to get round to solving this....my first attempt to lift the seat cushions failed and I've not got back to it...where do they unclip?

Jim

I've been too busy figuring everything out on my new TwinD to get round to solving this....my first attempt to lift the seat cushions failed and I've not got back to it...where do they unclip?

Jim

In the wagons the cusion I think pulls up at the back, then at the front and then tumbles forwards. It's difficult to explain but reasonably easy to do.

I went for the estate, Elegance trim in Amethyst Purple with Ivory interior. Traded in the wife as part deposit - bad move as divorce costs will outway the benefits. it's cheaper to keep her.

Jim

Do they at all? There is a section in the manual (P77) which refers to "Folding the rear seats forwards (estate car)"

The manual reads as follows, but there is nothing regarding the saloon version.

To enlarge the luggage compartment, the rear seats can be folded forwards

? page 76, if necessary fold the seat cushions forwards.

Folding the seat cushion forwards

Pull up the seat cushion in direction of arrow 1 ? fig. 62 and fold forwards in

direction of arrow 2 .

Note

In order to achieve a loading space as horizontal as possible, the rear head restraints

can be removed before folding the seat backrests forwards. Store the removed

head restraints in such a way that they cannot be damaged or soiled. ?

I think there are some misunderstandings here. The seat bases in the Twindoor do not lift up...just the seat back tips forward...and not fully flat at that!

I found that if you tugged hard on the front edge of the rear seat base it unclipped from its base which allowed you to then place it behind the front seats as if they folded forward. Mine was a 2009 twindoor and used this several times to "flatten" the load floor.