Blurt II - Son of Blurt.....

RainbowFire

People who insist on stirring things for their amusement.

Having looked at the current locked thread I can see both sides in this. However, what happens is that there are certain members of the admin team who feel that when an action is carried out, no explanation is warranted. Quite often there's just "Time to close this", no-one knows why. Then another thread appears, and the admin get upset about it. (Watching the admin lock each other is funny though)

As a parent I feel it is "part of the job" to educate Junior, so whenever he's asked "why?" he's given an answer. I have never, ever said "because I said so". This is an epic fail. This just implies that I know better than he and that my knowledge and rules should be taken as gospel, without question. As a result he would have learned nothing.

Forum administration is indeed not an easy thing. There are two sides to the person posting: the user and the admin. The user posts interesting information and contributes to the forum as a whole. The admin, has (should) be impartial and objective in matters pertaining to the "policing" of the forum. This has been confused on a few occasions (especially when involving newbies). Admin that cannot be detached and objective probably cause as many problems as they try and solve, as they get involved and then use their "admin power" to remove or lock that which displeases them personally. These are people who are the last that should actually be given any sort of power within a forum. (A certain other VAG-related forum springs to mind.)

Whilst the rules of the forum do state that admin do not have to justify their actions, an explanation, beyond "because I said so", and maybe even point to which forum rule has been infringed, would probably go a very very long way to diffusing any "follow up" action (for want of a better phrase). We, (the users) would understand why action was taken and quite probably leave it at that. There would be no subsequent, duplicate, threads as we would know why the original was closed.

Just because you don't have to explain why something has happened, doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

What's the worst that could happen??? The need to be in admin mode is vastly reduced as everyone knows why things have happened, and the blood pressure of admins involved stays at a reasonable level. ;) ;)

It's now sad to see that the thread that this originally appeared in has been locked and posts removed as well.

• Like 1

Dear The t'internet, can you please change the acronym IIRC to IIGTC, (If I Googled That Correctly), as many answers seem to be copied and pasted or even made up, rather than actually remembered. Many thanks, a t'internet user.