Well I bought it, picked it up, then bang

Well you know how I posted about going to see an Octavia, and you were all very kind and gave me advice.

I bought it, picked it up and half way down the M18 there was a bang, thought I'd run over a bit debris. Then it started juddering and holding back. Managed to get it home. Lifted the bonnet, sounded terrible and signs of oil on LHS of engine.

Great intro to Skoda ownership, I'm sick to say the least.

I know it could be anything. Any ideas?

It starts and runs but lack of power. Something has gone, hope its not the turbo.

Well I dont know how I stand, being its a private sale. The chap who sold it me was very genuine, I think its just one of those things.

Might just be a turbo pipe blown of !

This sounds interesting

Sounds like a split turbo pipe

Were do I look for the turbo pipe? Its not the black hose that runs on the left hand side, front to back is it?

I hadn't noticed any smoke, but then i wasn't really looking for it. I would say no. Engine sounded noisy and clattery. I lifted cover up and there was oil on the black hose on the LHS and also on the silver metal pipes (fuel feeds ?) but thats as far as my inspection went. before light went.

Could be either from the EGR (back lhs) or going to the front of the engine on that side where it drops down to the other joining intercooler pipes.

If a pipes off it would run lumpy and have excessive smoke sometimes with a hissing sound.

I had a Peugeot years ago, and that had some work done in a garage and got it back and it was running like a bag of nails, smokey, lumpy running etc, popped the bonnet and looked for the turbo pipe, it had been disconencted and not reattached, popped it back together and everything was running great again, so fingers crossed yours is as simple :-)

You should have the BJB engine in yours which looks like this:

137919332-1.jpg

There are joins where the yellow marks are.Follow the pipework down to the intercooler and see if its popped off there too.

Good luck hope you sort it :)

• Like 1

No smoke, but when I forgot to tighten a pipe for my G60's supercharger, it ran very lumpy, almost like on 3 cylinders, when it popped off of it's own accord on a dual carriageway. Obvious what had happened when I popped the bonnet: quick tighten of the jubilee clip and right as rain again.

They all sound a bit clattery, especially when looking under the bonnet with the engine running.

Another vote here for a turbo pipe popping off.

Hope it is just the pipe Phil and it doesn't spoil the enjoyment of your new car!

Mine popped off on the motorway once as well - sudden loss of power and increase in noise.

Pulled off at the next junction and 5 minutes later on my way again (covered in crap from the engine bay LOL)

You should have the BJB engine in yours which looks like this:

137919332-1.jpg

There are joins where the yellow marks are.Follow the pipework down to the intercooler and see if its popped off there too.

Good luck hope you sort it :)

Yes I turbo pipe leak !!

At the second yellow indicator above the joint is loose, could pull pipe off with ease. I released the clip and tried to push it back in, but ita still not fully home. I think it needs a new clip and doing properly.

I have mechanic lined for tomorrow, going to give it a scan too.

Thanks every one specially stormchaser for the photo!

• Like 1

The clips are a nightmare - that is why they pop off as someone previous didn't manage to clip it up correctly.

I doubt if it needs a new clip, it will either need some good old elbow grease to get it back together tight enough for the clip to locate correctly, or one of the lugs had been damaged on the pipe.

Hi thanks, however I'm not counting my chickens just yet. I tried getting the joint as tight as I could and then took it for a run, but it started chugging again, and then the engine light came on.

So I'm taking to a mechanic tomorrow who knows about VW's and has a Vag Com. If its just a pipe leak then great and he will if fix it. just hoping the Turbo isn't faulty or sticky. I will report back the latest exiting bulletin tomorrow !!

Hi Phill

The pipes have O rings on the male fittings that seal the connections. These rings seem to swell and distort when contaminated by oil. If the pipes blow off these O rings won't seal properly since they are now too big for the gap and get draged out of place causing a poor seal.

At least that's what happened to mine. The O rings are available at your dealer as spares, as are the clips. So don't buy the whole pipe.

HTH

These pipes do feel loose but as long as you can't pull them out they are fine. It is very disconcerting being able to wiggle them about but the Bora is now over 100k with no boost issues ;)

Hi Phill

The pipes have O rings on the male fittings that seal the connections. These rings seem to swell and distort when contaminated by oil. If the pipes blow off these O rings won't seal properly since they are now too big for the gap and get draged out of place causing a poor seal.

At least that's what happened to mine. The O rings are available at your dealer as spares, as are the clips. So don't buy the whole pipe.

HTH

Thanks for that. I was thinking that myself the outer collar is just too slack and the clip doesn't do anything when tightened. So a new section and new clips. Hope i can get it fixed tomorrow.

I have been having a play with all the gadgets this evening. It really is a very nice roomy well equipped car. Its almost tardis like inside which is very clever being based on the golf. It makes my old Rover 75 feel very old fashioned. Cant wait to try out the cruise control.

Think I will give it an oil change (even though it doesn't need one) with the correct 503.01 oil, just so that I'm sure.

Thanks for that. I was thinking that myself the outer collar is just too slack and the clip doesn't do anything when tightened. So a new section and new clips. Hope i can get it fixed tomorrow.

I have been having a play with all the gadgets this evening. It really is a very nice roomy well equipped car. Its almost tardis like inside which is very clever being based on the golf. It makes my old Rover 75 feel very old fashioned. Cant wait to try out the cruise control.

Think I will give it an oil change (even though it doesn't need one) with the correct 503.01 oil, just so that I'm sure.

You mean 505.01 for fixed service or 507.00 for variable ;)

Hi Phil,

Hope all goes well tomorrow. I've owned exactly the same car as you for nearly a year now and commute 100 miles a day. During this time it's been excellent. Comfortable, reliable and economical.

Hopefully yours will be sorted out soon. Here's hoping eh?

Good luck mate.

Dave.