Scotchguard seats

Hi my dealer wants to charge £250+ to protect the seats in my new car!! I think this is a rip off.

Can you not just buy a can and spray a scotchguard type product on yourself?

Does anyone have suggestions or recommended products?! My mk1 fabia VRS was a nightmare to keep clean!

Thanks all

W

in your politest tones ask him if he thinks you are an idiot and then tell him to F#%* RIGHT OFF

total waste of money - do you really think the seats on a brand new car are not fit for purpose? If so why are you buying it?

• Like 2

Gtechniq do a scotch guard type spray for about £15. I used this along with some of their other products, highly recommend them

+1 incredible stuff there is a video on YouTube of them treating and waterproofing a Kleenex

A key component of a new car sale for a dealer is the chance to add 10% to the invoice with "little" extras. They have lovely profit margins on these.

Paint sealer sir its only £400, whats that next to the £15k? Oh and a bit of seat protector its only £300, oh and GAP, you need that its only £400. Oh and (my favourite) wheel insurance, its only £200.

Soon to follow glass insurance, aerial insurance, headlight insurance and carpet insurance (floormats insurance extra).

Hi my dealer wants to charge £250+ to protect the seats in my new car!! I think this is a rip off.

Can you not just buy a can and spray a scotchguard type product on yourself?

Does anyone have suggestions or recommended products?! My mk1 fabia VRS was a nightmare to keep clean!

Thanks all

W

I would suggest that the cost you were quoted was for a full car treatment to include full internal protection and paint protection as well. I was supagarded inside out for that cost and got a full kit and warranty with mine. It covers the cost of professionally cleaning or replacing seats if the treatment fails to protect. Worth it if you have kids in the car or dogs. Just depends what you want.

Kit costs about £40 and you can do it yourself

Yes, but the £40 kit does not contain the Scotch Guard for the seats. In fact it's the time factor for me. I could have done it myself but the dealer sold me the complete package for £150 (£100 off the normal cost when I bought the car) for an inside and outside job and it took two guy nearly 2.5hours to do it. I watched them prepare the outside while a guy was on the inside prepping that. The treatment was very comprehensive and I have since had a seat replaced completely free of charge as the marks made by someone to a front seat wouldn't come out. Guess how much a new seat was? Glad I paid someone to do it, and I work in the trade.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supagard-Main-Dealer-Car-Preperation-Kit-Valet-Protect-/120959124386?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1c29b9c3a2

The full supaguard kits do include the fabric treatment and a full kit can often be had for £50 or thereabouts if you shop around, found this link on ebay just to show what you get

Usually takes a pro about 1 hour to apply

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c29b9c3a2

The full supaguard kits do include the fabric treatment and a full kit can often be had for £50 or thereabouts if you shop around, found this link on ebay just to show what you get

Usually takes a pro about 1 hour to apply

Yes the full kit will contain the fabric treatment but they don't cost £40. I've never seen anyone treat a whole car in 1hour. Mine took a total of nearly 5 man hours to do the car inside and out. Most of the time is spent preparing the paintwork. I watched mine being done and they did a superb job. Applying the fabric treatment to the seats and carpets took a good 30 mins after prep. But that's when it's all done properly. My nephew has his own bodyshop and charges lots of money to do this sort of stuff, but does it properly and gets very happy customers.

Kablam, the supagard guys who came to the dealership to do my car don't work for nothing!

Hi dibujo, yeah it worked fine a couple of times when kids tipped cups of tea and coffee everywhere inside the car on the carpets and seats. It blotted straight up without leaving a trace. But the fabric conditioner wouldn't protect against a very large bottle of black ink (half litre). We use the ink in one of our big engineering printers. It was black ink and there was a lot of it. It had all day to leak out and sit on the fabric, eventually getting into the pores of the fabric. I think had it been wiped up straight away it would have been ok. The damage was massive and I don't think whatever protection was to be used, it wouldn't have protected against that. So one phone call and a professional cleaner came out to me at home to fix it. He couldn't, so new seat and one carpet ordered. Total cost I don't know, but it was hundreds of pounds not just a little bit, and all paid for by supagard insurers. So I guess you could say Supagard worked yet again! Best £150 I ever spent when I take into account the damage to paintwork that Supagard also protected against.

I guess I'm very lucky having never managed to spill anything in any of my cars that a wet vac wouldn't remove

Rich, yep...those wet vacs things are good and can prevent lots of damage. I guess everyone has to make their own judgement on wether getting the seats treated professionally or diy is the way to go or worth it. For me it was and I knew there was a good chance I would need to use it at some point. I carry a lot of 'dangerous' things in the car from time to time that have the potential to make a mess. If anyone is currently negotiating on a new car...then do as I did, and see if you can get it as part of the new car deal. I got my car price right down, (and I know there was no more meat left in the deal) and they still managed to do a great deal on the protection too. It was the actual Supagard company that turned up to do the work and got to say they were good. Anyhoo...hope Whitey gets want he wants...

Gtechniq do a scotch guard type spray for about £15. I used this along with some of their other products, highly recommend them

+1

Hi dibujo, yeah it worked fine a couple of times when kids tipped cups of tea and coffee everywhere inside the car on the carpets and seats. It blotted straight up without leaving a trace. But the fabric conditioner wouldn't protect against a very large bottle of black ink (half litre). We use the ink in one of our big engineering printers. It was black ink and there was a lot of it. It had all day to leak out and sit on the fabric, eventually getting into the pores of the fabric. I think had it been wiped up straight away it would have been ok. The damage was massive and I don't think whatever protection was to be used, it wouldn't have protected against that. So one phone call and a professional cleaner came out to me at home to fix it. He couldn't, so new seat and one carpet ordered. Total cost I don't know, but it was hundreds of pounds not just a little bit, and all paid for by supagard insurers. So I guess you could say Supagard worked yet again! Best £150 I ever spent when I take into account the damage to paintwork that Supagard also protected against.

Ok Estate man - money well spent!

• 4 weeks later...